“Beautiful, Relaxing, Back to Nature” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bali T House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lodtunduh
Bali T House
You added Bali T House to your Saves list
Lodtunduh, Lodtunduh, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Lodtunduh B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Beautiful, Relaxing, Back to Nature”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We spent 1 week here at English Breakfast T House - 2 adults and 2 kids. We loved our time here. The T House was fantastic, right on the rice paddies. It was well equipped with 2 showers (one over bath), 2 bedrooms, both with queen beds and kitchen. It was nicely furnished and we especially enjoyed eating breakfast out on the deck in the morning. The showers and toilet are outdoors but felt very private.

The staff were lovely and very helpful. One of the girls would come into our kitchen each morning and cook us breakfast, any kind of eggs or banana pancakes. My kids particularly loved the pancakes. We also had 2 meals cooked by T House. If you order from the very well priced menu in the morning, they will deliver the meal to your room when required and it was very nice food. It was about 5-10 minute drive into town which wasn't really a problem, you just need to be a little bit organised and find yourself a driver. The pool was lovely, just outside our gate and my girls loved cooling off after a hot day out.

It was interesting to watch life going by our window and the locals seemed happy for us to walk amongst the rice paddies.

As mentioned in other reviews, there was certainly plenty of noises at night such as frogs, roosters etc but we found this added to the atmosphere and it didn't keep us awake. The nearby temple woke me most mornings with the music and chanting but it was very quiet and only lasted a few minutes. After that I went back to sleep. I sort of missed it once we left.

Don't be expecting to come here for 5 star accommodation or service. The staff were excellent and very helpful but there wasn't a "reception" as such and sometimes you had to look around for somebody to help you which wasn't a problem as we were never in a hurry. There are plenty of 'creatures' such as ants, frogs, lizards so make sure you are comfortable with this before you make a booking. They are all harmless and again, added to our stay. There is very little to see and do in the immediate area so you do have to travel into town but once you find a driver, this won't be a problem. I am happy to recommend to anyone if you want to message me.

Personally, I would love to stay here again and my kids had a very enjoyable time here as well.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kaunas, Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Staying at a T house villa "Lemon Grass" was a highlight of our trip to Ubud.
Comfortable rooms, amazing surroundings, quiet atmosphere, kind and helpful personnel... Our overall experience was really excellent!
Laura

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Astana, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent a wonderful two weeks at THouse. The views are beautiful. The staff are helpful, lovely, and very kind. My kids had a lot of fun playing in the pool and surrounding garden, and my husband and I enjoyed the gentle and relaxing atmosphere of Ubud.

Aarhus, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at the Japanese Garden T-house for a little more than 2 months, from mid October to mid December. To make it easier for everyone, I'll talk about the different aspects separately:

-Location: Really beautiful location, right next to the rice fields (not our house, but the pool was), very green and quiet. Definitely recommended if you don't want to be in the constant traffic of central Ubud. However, be aware that the roosters in the area like to start singing around 4am (we got used to it in a couple of days, so no big deal), and for some reason every now and then there was very loud music coming from one of the locals' houses nearby. WARNING: since the T-House complex is in the middle of nature, expect LOTS of insects. Mosquitoes will bite you EVERYDAY, especially in the early morning and evening, even if you use repellent. The amount of insects got REALLY BAD when the rainy season started around mid-november, and especially december. There were literally hundreds of some kind of flying thingy with big wings that would seek light desperately at sunset, flying clumsily all over. It was so horrible that we had to turn off all the lights inside and turn on the one outside until they all died for exhaustion, leaving a disgusting floor to clean afterwards... Spiders and beetles will be your neighbours at all times. They're pretty harmless, but we got freaked out a few times! If you hate insects, not the place to go.

-Sleep Quality: GREAT! Despite the houses not having aircon, we didn't miss it at all at night! Since the house is open, we had a really nice breeze every night, and the bed was really good too. Not too soft, not too hard, and pretty big! Perfect for us. I had quality sleep everyday, and they only thing I would change here are the pilows, which were slightly too high for our taste, but I believe they will be just fine for most people. Also, since all beds have mosquito nets, we had 95% mosquito-free nights, which is very important in Bali!

-Service: The staff were very nice and friendly, and they greeted us whenever they saw us. They were also very helpful, and would give you a ride whenever you'd need it. That said, they weren't always efficient at doing what you asked them to do, and sometimes forgot. They all speak English, but the most have a very basic vocabulary.

-House: Compared to the other houses, Japanese Garden is very small. We chose it because we were on a budget and wanted the cheapest we could get, but if we go again, we'd definitely choose a bigger house, especially since I was spending a lot of time there, and it can feel pretty small at times. What we really missed was a dining table inside. They only one was outdoors, so when the rainy season started we had to eat at the coffee table, sitting on the floor, which wasn't too nice. The house looked kind of worn too, particularly the tiles, which give you the impression of a much older and cheaper house. It also felt like the house was never completely clean, because the tiles looked dirty although they cleaned the floor everyday. I would recommend that the owner does some renovation there. The kitchen (the main reason why we chose to stay at a house), was not too bad, but far from ideal. The main concern I had was that it was always dirty. I'm aware this was to be expected, since it's an open house, but the worn tiles also gave it a dirtier look, so I didn't feel to comfortable cooking there in the beginning. Howevere, we saw some of the kitchen in the other houses and they looked a lot better, and also better equipped. The bathroom was fine. It take a few days to get used to the open bathroom style, but after that it was no problem at all.

-Cleanliness: The day we got to the house we found it very clean. The staff had done a good job there, and we had no complaints are all. The rent comes with daily cleaning service, which is done by a whole team of staff members. They were so many that they were done very quickly, which was appreciated. HOWEVER, I noticed that the cleaning wasn't very thorough, and after a couple of weeks, spiderwebs started to accumulate. Some of the shelves in the bathroom were rarely cleaned either, and the same goes for any not-easily-accessible corners and spots of the house. By the end of our stay, I felt everything was dirty, and even the floor, which the swept and washed everyday, was getting full of stains from dead insects, gecko excrements, etc. That's the main reason why I recommend T-house for a short stay, but DO NOT recommend it for a long stay. I understand that the staff have many houses to clean everyday, but if they know that the house will be occupied for such a long time, some thorough cleaning once a week should be mandatory. One might assume that the stuff would notice all those spiderwebs, dust, fallen leaves, etc, but they either didn't pay attention or refused to do something about it... Note that there weren't any cleaning tools at home, so I couldn't do it myself either.

Owner: Michelle, the owner, was extremely nice and helpful. The booking was very smooth, and she showed us plenty of pictures of the house. She also answered promptly any questions we might have about the house or the area. A pleasure dealing with her!

Distance to Ubud: The T-house complex (both Kaja and Klod) are far from Ubud. It takes about 40min to get to the center on foot. This wouldn't really be a problem if it wasn't that hot and if the road wasn't that busy. There is no sidewalk most of the way, so you have to pay attention to traffic, dogs, holes, rocks, etc for at least half the way. I didn't feel confortable doing so, so the first days I took taxis (30.000 to Coco supermarket, or 50000 to the center), and after a couple of weeks decided to rent a motorbike from Adil (one of the staff members). I recommend the motorbike to everyone! It's much cheaper (25000 a day for a long period rental), and it's really easy to park wherever you go. You need to get used to the traffic, but if someone like me, who hadn't used a motorbike ever, could do it, you can too :)

-Swimming pool: very nice!! It has a stunning view of the rice fields, and it's long and deep enough to do a few laps. The area for kids is also cool, so it's a great pool for the whole family. It could be cleaned a little bit more frequently, but it wasn't a major concern.

-Overall: We liked T-house, but we will choose a different house if we come back (we might). Considering the small difference in price, the other houses have a lot more to offer, so in our opinion it was not worth saving those 100$ a month for a cheaper place. As I said, I'm sure you'll enjoy the house if you stay only for a few days, and it does provide a relaxing time.

Room Tip: -Choose a house with a view of the rice fields. -DO NOT COME during rainy season (mid-November to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family of four spent three nights during Christmas time at Lemon Grass house and loved it.

First some warnings.

T house is not exactly within walking distance from Ubud town. The locals I talked to said it will take around thirty minutes walking through the paddy field (not an easy walk especially after some rain) to get to Ubud town. I never tried it so I am not sure. However, you can ask the front desk to get you a taxi easily that usually shows up within minutes. By car Ubud town in less than five minutes away.

There is always some mosquito question whenever people travel to the tropics. Lemon Grass house that we stayed is an airy open concept design villa without air conditioning. Mosquito could be a problem. However, all rooms have ceiling fans and all beds do come with mosquito netting. Surprisingly there was no mosquito at all during the few nights we were there. Maybe we were lucky, or it wasn't mosquito season. I can't say for sure.

With the rental price (very affordable), no one should expect five star service at T house. We find the cleanliness and service acceptable. Lemon Grass house is more like a home away from home to us. In fact, we felt very much at home when staying in Lemon Grass house.

There is a small village right outside of T house compound. Taking a walk there is a challenge because there are dogs everywhere! They barked a lot and once they get started, more will join in unison. Although they seem to stay within certain distance from their home, it is still very intimidating. I don't think they bite but I suggest if you really want to take a walk, get a local to go with you. Somehow the dogs are friendlier to the locals.

Now to the good stuff.

Lemon Grass house has a open family room next to a kitchen with a dinning table facing a paddy field. There is a very small stream right in front of the house before the paddy field. Every morning the staff come over to our house and cooked our breakfast for us. Having breakfast while overlooking the paddy field is very relaxing. There are also two deck chairs where you can sit and view the sunset over the paddy field.

Further in there are the two bedrooms. Both rooms come with double beds. On top of that there is an additional double bed at the open deck attic. All beds come with mosquito netting. Technically the house can sleep up to six people.

From one of the bedrooms you enter a huge indoor living and dining room, with a flat screen TV and DVD player (good for the kids). The dinning area also opens out to a Balinese theme pond and fountain.

On Christmas night we invited my sister's family (they stayed next door at Bamboo House, a smaller but equally charming) for a home cook Balinese dinner. The dinner table sits eight comfortably. T house engage their staff to do home cook meals at very reasonable price that you pay directly to the staff. In a way that also helps the local community as well. They will cook and bring over the dinner to your place, and wash up after you are done. We had a blast and felt like a host for sure.

There is also a small pool for a swim just a few paces away from our house.

Overall it is just a very pleasant feeling staying in the Lemon Grass house. Very much stressed out going to Bali due to work we feel rejuvenated after just a few days of staying there. We really wanted to stay longer but the place was booked much earlier from after Christmas onwards.

In my opinion if you like a place with plenty of room to move around, falling asleep at night with the background sound of a small stream, and nature singing by insects and frogs, great view of paddy field (and sunset in the evening), simple yet tastefully design practical villa, green quiet surroundings, affordable price, and just a short ride away from the cultural centre of Ubud, this place is for you.

On the other hand, if you want the comfort of a five star hotel, walking distance away from all the convenience of shoppings and restaurants, this place may not be your cup of tea.

We will definitely come back again. Love it.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Firstly the positives: If you are looking for a small, rice-paddy view house in a quiet location outside Ubud this may be the right place for you. Though we (4 people) found it a bit too small. The view is great though, right onto the paddy fields.
However, there were a few problems with this villa. 1 There isn't really much garden space and it feels cramped both inside and out. 2. The cleaning isn't really cleaning, just a quick dust down. 3. The breakfast were the same every day - eggs, eggs eggs. 4. The staff are friendly enough but you do have to fork out for taxis every time you want to get to Ubud. 5. The villa is a thief's dream. It is NOT secure, even with all the doors locked. A thief could easily clamber over the walls and into the villa as the walls do not go all the way to the ceiling.
Overall we were a bit disappointed with our choice of villa, for the money I have stayed at much better places in and around Ubud.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is the second time that I have stayed at Green T House in T House Klod and it was every bit as relaxing and enjoyable as the first time. It's a great option for self-catering as well as for those who want to eat out in Ubud but also want to stay away from the (increasingly) busy town centre. There is plenty of space to sit outside and enjoy the view as well as a fantastic pool to cool off in. The staff are also extremely helpful, efficient and went out of their way to help me get my rucksack back after it was (stupidly) left in a random taxi one night when returning late. I wouldn't hesitate to return and from what I saw of the other accomodation options would recommend the place to anyone. (There is also a really good driver, Putu, who works with T-House Klod who I would also recommend for day-trips and taxi rides.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bali T House? Share your experiences!