We spent the first two September weeks (2013) at the Robinson Club and had a wonderful and really relaxing time there. No money, no watch, no shoes are needed - just be! Looking at the other reviews we will try to comment on areas not yet mentioned or not to large extents:
Generally good to know:
Mind you that you will fly to Male, wait in a lounge for your 1 hour flight to the South from where you will go by speed boat for another 30 minutes.
You dont need shoes unless for the work out in the fitness area, you can walk the whole island barefoot or in sleepers/flip flops.
Bring good sunscreens (eg 30s and 50s) as you are close to the equator and the sun is very strong. Hence use t-shirts when snorkelling...
Bring enough to read, there is a place where they keep the books who people left behind, then again the choice naturally is limited and you might not find what you want to read.
There are two professional photographers on the island so if you wish to have a special photo shoot being done, no problem.
No need to bring a beach bag, every room has one.
The first week we stayed at a beach villa (room 1205) which was centrally located to the restaurant area, spa and fitness area - also we had the best sea access spot for our understanding. In the beach villa you have a good size room, a small terrace from where you walk a couple of steps to your beach lounge chair and again another couple of steps into the water - very convenient. Your bathroom is outdoor which palm trees growing in and banana leaves forming your "roof". it is spacious and we enjoyed it a lot, indeed it is outdoor meaning it is not air conditioned which might not be appreciated by everybody. You will have mosquitos on the beach.
The second week we took a water villa (room 1118) that has a very spacious room with a glass floor to watch the fish plus a sizeable terrace which direct sea access. The (indoor) bathroom is normal hotel style and nothing special. If we could do it again we probably would still split our time between these two room options as very differing experiences. You do not have mosquitos on the water villas.
Note that when there is DJ or band night, you will hear the music or the bass until the party is over, usually around 11.30 pm.
Buffet is done for breakfast, lunch and dinner and there is probably not much extra to wish for - the choices are wonderful and changing everyday. The staff is very friendly and forthcoming and making sure you always have enough water, juices, wine or beer etc. they are extremely organised that way. The second week I did unfortunately get diarrhea, and still, the staff made sure I got the food I then was allowed to eat to help me get better, the cooks are wonderful and very helping.
There are tons of options to be entertained, social with other guests, sporty or "holiday busy" in whatever way. On the other side if you wish to stay quietly and just spend romantic time, it is also possible - totally up to you. Kite surfing, diving, snorkelling (you get your snorkel gear for the full time of your stay there at the club) , fishing, volleyball, fully blown gym, sauna, disco night, all an option... the Robinson team is focused on the Germans and Asian population hence the gym classes are mostly in German, English is an option but the level of English proficiency is not that good.
When we were there the majority of people where from China or Germany, there were some Japanese people, an Italian couple, an Australian one and I think us. There were two kids at the age of 5 at the whole resort, not more.
What we would improve:
1) The sleeping pillows in the beds are very soft and after the two weeks we both got neck and shoulder pain from those.
2) Shampoo and bath gel wasn't replaced by default, we had to call for replenishment when we ran out.
3) Robinson team very focused on Germans, we felt a bit left aside at times or not treated as included - maybe cause we were English speaking? Not sure, anyway, it was fine, we wanted a romantic relaxing time...
4) Water for free all day, everywhere. You get tons of water at breakfast, lunch or dinner, you cannot even drink that fast - your glass is already filled up again. If you want water during the day or in your room (more than 1 litre that comes complementary) you have to pay though.
5) Qualified personnel at the reception. The team seems to rotate somewhat on the job, twice when we came with questions/requests to the reception we felt that an intern who had no clue about how to treat guests or how to work things was helping us, was a bit weird I must say.
6) Asking for feedback. The whole stay nobody ever asked us for feedback, if we are happy or like it or have anything to say, positive or negative.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Robinson Club Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Robinson Club Maldives Hotel Villingili
- Robinson Club Maldives Villingili