“Second time's the charm” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Funamadua, Villingili 20077   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Villingili
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Swanwick, United Kingdom
“Second time's the charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was our 14th trip to the Maldives and the 2nd to Robinson Club.
We landed later than expected on a BA flight. This was due to a delay caused by de-icing the aircraft back in the UK. We walked out of the Male airport terminal and within seconds were greeted by ground crew (Hummingbird for Purely Maldives) then within a few more seconds greeted by a Robinson Club Rep who informed us that because of our delay we would probably have to wait for the next domestic flight, approximately three hours! It was 10.55am. We were disappointed, but this was understandable. The rep apologised, but said he would see what he could do. He rang ahead and then asked us if we could run. We sprinted and made the 11.00 flight! The pilot waited for us on the tarmac while we cleared security and we took off moments later.
We flew into Kaadhdedhoo which took just over an hour and then promptly took the 20 min speed boat to Robinson Club. There were previous reports of rubbish at the local airport. This is no longer the case. The island and sea were both in pristine condition, but please note this is a very basic airport with limited facilities and any hanging about may require some insect repellent.

We arrived at Robinson Club with the expected smiley welcome, sparkling wine, fruit juice and canapés. The addition of complimentary flip-flops this time around was a surprise bonus. Some guests also received beach bags, as they did not have a full range of flip-flop sizes. Even with the slight stress in racing for our flight, it really was a perfect start to the holiday as we had arrived with plenty of time to shower and, unpack before heading off for lunch.

So what has changed? (See my previous review dated January 2011).
These are not all moans, just observations and also some improvements. By the time you are reading this the island will have been be closed for renovations and re-opened, so a lot of my niggles will have been addressed.
Our previous visit in 2011 was when the resort was less than a year old. By Feb 2013 it had begun to show a bit of wear. Not in the rooms, bar or restaurant areas, where on-going maintenance was evident. Just things like the patchy decking and towels not as fluffy as they had been when new. Also all the beach beds in the past had white covers, they had been replaced by blue in some places, so not as smart or as uniform in my opinion. These are just ultra-picky observations. The beach has all coconut roof umbrellas now giving the beach a more traditional Maldivian island feel. The beach beds are the wooden adjustable type. Beach villa guests have numbered beds on the beach, but there are plenty of unnumbered ones in-between. There were always free beds for all at the pool; these were rattan type beds and love nests. None of these were adjustable, but had comfortable cushions.

The staff wall area was a little tatty, but they are building a fixed wall behind it. The staff area that was fenced off previously with reeds is now getting a more permanent structure, but this was all being done behind the existing screening and no building noise or visual work was being undertaken. I only know, because I was looking for the cat which incidentally was fine, albeit a little more timid than the previous year. I doubt you would even see her unless you went looking. There are also two parrots in an aviary. I don't agree with caged birds and this is probably why they were not mentioned in my previous review; however it appears they are only in the cage to sleep and eat. The rest of the time they are free to fly around. So be aware if you hear squawking coming from your open-air bathroom.

We had a few small issues with our garden room. I will not go into full room details this time, as these can be found in my previous review. Some rooms now have clothes drying racks. This would be an advantage to have in all the rooms. Our room did not have one and our room was also missing a full length mirror. I called my pillow 'a bag with lumps', my husband however liked them! We had a problem with Fruit Bats dropping nuts onto our roof at night. At night it sounded more like we were being bombarded by coconuts. After two nights with little sleep we spoke to reception. They sent someone to sort the overhang branch out. The following night was fine and then the bat returned and we had another sleepless night. Reception then sent a guy up to pick off all the fruit. We had silent nights after that. We were offered a change of room, but we didn't really want the hassle. Looking around only a few garden villas would have an issue with overhanging branches. I managed to work out the coffee machine this time around so spent many an early morning on the terrace with a cup of coffee before breakfast. There is quite a good choice of teas and coffees, also fortune cookies.

The decking around the island was a bit patchy in places, especially where they have replaced planks on the main jetty and some of the beach villas, in some places the wood was in different shades. This didn't really affect us, but some of the main jetty and some of the villas decking has been repaired and not yet varnished the same colour, so a bit patchy looking. Not so good for photos this time around, but I am sure this will be sorted out once the island re-opens. The resort has renewed its contract. I can't remember for how many years, but enough to warrant spending money on the outstanding maintenance issues once and for all.

Each Saturday at 11.30 am a pool party was held. You can avoid this if you like by staying away from the pool area. My husband wanted to, but was dragged there under duress. At first he sulked on a sun lounger surfing the web on his I-pad and then a group of bikini clad Australian school teachers arrived from a neighbouring island and the next thing I knew hubby was in the pool, camera at the ready. Complimentary sparkling wine, floating trays of appetisers, king prawns, various dips, tomatoes, gherkins, olives and feta. What's not to like? He actually asked to go the following week! Sadly for him the teachers had only stayed one night before returning home.

The main restaurant - There were complaints in early reviews in regards to tiles lifting. They were covered with sand. The restaurant food serving area is just bare cement, but this looks good and blends in well with the sand. This is a short term solution I believe. We will have to see what the renovations will bring.
I have read about lack of vegetarian food types. I can't understand this, but I would advise to have a good look around. For instance Hash browns and baked beans were in the Maldivian section at breakfast. And the soup had been moved to the desert section. There were also lots of health food options, such as cold soups and smoothies. As previous - salad items were housed in fridges and built to order, as was the Sushi, so nothing was left hanging around for too long. If you can't find something just ask. At my request I had the typical Maldivian breakfast of Mas Huni every second day, which composed of tuna, onion, coconut, lime and chili all served with freshly-baked flatbread. I had smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese on the other days or fish curry for breakfast. There were lots of other choices available such as the egg station, sausages, bacon and healthy options such as muesli and yogurt and fresh juice. There were many live cooking stations for lunch and dinner that did wok dishes, pasta, pizza, fish, BBQ, also the usual curries and freshly baked bread and a Chef Selection of the day all hosted by an international team of chefs. Dim Sum, Turkish pizza (Pide) and shawarmas were new on the menu this year. Also a few things I have not had in the Maldives before, two things that come to mind were sundried tomatoes and polenta. Meat dishes were of good quality including fillet of beef and rack of lamb. There is still a very good selection of cheeses (around ten) including blue, camembert and brie. Deserts are still all individual portions, although the ice cream was not as good as last time. The complimentary bottled wine was still as good Malbec/ Merlot, a Chenin Blanc/Chardonnay and a Rose. Drinks are complimentary with meals, beer, wine, soft drinks and bottled water. We enjoyed eating most of our meals outside on the decking overlooking the sea. You are not allocated a table or waiter at this resort, so you can pick where you like, either outside over the decking or inside under ceiling fans. There is no table sharing and meal times only appear busier on the Gala evenings (Black & white and white evening (captain's party) this time around) Five course sit down meal, wonderful atmosphere and artistically created dishes. The staff put a lot of effort into making the guests happy, although we came to the conclusion that the general manager (German) was a little put out that us 'Brits' had somehow stumbled upon his exclusive island. The food and service was however still outstanding.

One of the generators packed up for a few days, but this did not affect us, some villas had patchy power though.
There was some evidence of beach erosion. The area between the Das Edel Restaurant and in front of the main bar area and restaurant and along to the row of beach front garden villas there was no beach. I only managed to walk around the island a couple of times at low tide. There were also some sandbags. A wall has been built along the beach in front of the Das Edel. I believe now that the island has renewed the lease it is going to get outside help with a dredger to replace sand. There is still plenty of beach space with no overcrowding, but if you want to walk around the island maybe take reef shoes to traverse areas of dead coral. All in all, the beach was not as wide as it was in 2011, but this may be seasonal. Two of the water villas to the right (looking out to sea) were beached this year when a sandbank formed.

During our previous visit the Beach Bar (near the garden rooms) was open in the late afternoons, this time it was the Sun Downer bar (nearest the WV's). Although the island has several bars they appear not all to be utilised all of the time. There are new bean bags, a hammock and they have also added decking to the Sun Down Bar area. Complimentary canapés are served at sundown, drinks start at around $8. There was no sweet afternoon as was held previously.
Hammocks have also been placed around the island in designated garden relax areas. There were also a few golf carts this time around. I am not sure that these are necessary and seem to be used mainly by staff.

We recognised a lot of the staff from our previous trip and were pleased to see many had been promoted. We also recognised some of the guests, including a German couple on their 4th trip to the island.

It is still a very quiet island, although you can find things going on if you look for them. Daily yoga lessons, beach golf, Pilates, Aqua Fit and snorkel excursion on the house reef (usually two a day), a weekly Kayak around the island and behind the scenes tour. There is a beach volley ball court (inland) which hosts various activities including beach tennis. At additional cost – Big game fishing, catamaran courses, sunset cruise and various trips are on offer. There is an art studio; this seems more geared towards teenagers or for people wanting a Photography session than general use. The 'Wellfit' (fitness) area and gym is even more discreet this time around as the plant growth on the island is more established, offering further screening. There is a sauna, not that we used it.

There was still no loud visible entertainment, only the pool party and the weekly beach Party. As on most islands there are themed evenings in the restaurant. Some themes spilled over into the day. Maldivian day had staff carrying fresh coconut branches along the beach right up to your sun lounger where they split open the green coconut with a machete and you could enjoy the fresh coconut water. A small Maldivian market was held in the main bar that evening. There was a weekly Beach BBQ at Das Edel – one which was pirate themed. Whenever we did venture into the main bar it was empty; however we rarely ventured there after dinner as we are early risers.

The Reef – This is where Robinson club again is a cut above the rest in its price range. I recommend to take a couple of the free guided snorkel trips, as we ventured into area that we would not have found otherwise, and we felt more confident in a small group rather than just as a couple. We discovered Shark Point. At the beginning of our fortnight holiday it appeared that there was more marine life than during our first visit, however the wind picked up shortly thereafter exposing areas of reef and making it slightly more difficult to snorkel. We saw turtles daily, but sadly no Dolphins. The staff assured us they have daily sightings when the sea is flat. I swam with a Green Turtle for at least 10 min and I have excellent footage. Other than that all of the usual culprits were spotted along with soft corals and beautiful pink and purple anemones. There is no fish feeding on this island and also there is a sign board on the beach and a weekly presentation in regards to reef preservation, conservation and pollution.

Any issues we had with the island were minor. I still rate Robinson Club Maldives highly. My husband said he had the most relaxing holiday ever! It is such a fantastic natural and unpretentious island with internal meandering natural sand paths (you will get lost), established gardens, wide powder-soft white beaches fringed with green palms and views out to an unblemished turquoise ocean. The half board plus makes it good value for money too, certainly the best value 4 star resort that we have come across in the Maldives.

To Azmeel, Waheed, Samy, Wadey, Irsshad, Muawii for making our holiday special (we hope to see you all again soon). And to Purely Maldives who got us there and back without a hitch. Richard even offered to get us to the airport when we were snowed in. We would like to say 'A big thank you to you all'.

If you want to know anything specific, don't hesitate to ask.

Room Tip: Even garden rooms are large with separate seating area. The bathrooms have a Jacuzzi bath and two sh...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for my honeymoon in September last year.

As others have mentioned the travel there is exhausting but well worth it. The food is unbelievable.

We had a water villa and it was amazing. Right on the edge of the reef and you can just walk down your steps and snorkel. Sunsets are excellent. They try an have themed nights at least every other night and the staff are very good.

It is predominantly German with the odd Asian couples, there were no British people during my stay. I marked it down for the fact it catered for mainly Germans, movie night, presentation night, all in German. Generally they do make an effort for the English though.

Compared to the other islands this gives you a lot for your money! Well worth it. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2012
Catania, Sicilia, Italy
1,696 helpful votes 1,696 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had a water bungalow and it was very clean. The room was very big and had a big glass window in the floor to watch the fished. Which is very impressive in the night, when the underwater light is on. The way from the water bungalow back to the restaurant is about 300 Meters so it´s a bit long but as the scenery is very nice, it was ok. The hotel is new, about 2 years and it seems that the water is treating the aisle badly as you can see some erosions. The food in the hotel was really nice and they had a big and daily changing offer. They do also have a big gourmet restaurant but as the normal restaurant offered really nice food, it seemed noone used the gourmet one. We spent our honeymoon on the island and we hoped that it wold be quite and even though there were some children, it was just perfect for us. The people there are many honeymooners from Germany and Asia (Japan, Korea and China) but also couples that wanted to have a balanced holiday between quite quality time and fun. The entertainers were excellent and special thanks to Viraj who alway put a smile on everyone´s face who saw him. They were not too pushy and left you alone but that was the key to success and the atmosphere was great even when the weather was rainy. As discribed, we had a water bungalow and the size was huge, it had about 30-40sqm. When the weather is nice, the waterbungalows are great even thoug the walk to the restaurant is quite a bit. When the weather is bad, it is a bit scary being on the water as the bungalows move slightly. There is television with about 20 channels (all English and Asian). We always had fresh water, coffee and tee for free on the rooms. There is also a huge balcony with a jacuzy on it and places to ly.The main room is air conditioned, it has also a safe and a fridge but you have to buy the things first. Of course also a telephone. When it rained, water came into the bungalow which is why I deducted some points. At the raining days our bathroom was completely wet. The staff was alway very friendly and very human, which means they also spoke privately and it seemed they indeed had fun at what they were doing. I want to thank again Viraj the entertainer who everybody loved. The guy is really crazy and has a great sense of "Schadenfreunde" (sorry, there is no word describing that in english). I have never seen anyone who made shy people waking up and playing Volleyball etc. All the other staff was the same, they were always approachable. Great job! Whenever you buy something there are 10% tipp on the receipt. For the very good staff, we spent some more money as we thought they did an extraordinary job. The food was alway great and they changed it daily. The fish was always fresh and they also offered the normal German things like Nutella etc. The gourmet restaurant is excellent but it is not necessary to go there. If you want to have a romantic dinner for two then this is the place to be. The prices are ok for the quality of the restaurant. When you buy something there are 10% tipping included. The island is very small, it takes about 15-20 Minutes to walk around it. The beaches are just great and very clean, I never saw any dirt or trash lying around. Even though the island is that small, they managed to put 400 people on that island (about 200 guests and about 200 staff). From the water bungalows you can directly enter the ocean which is very handy. It´s just great for snorkeling and diving because the reef is just at the bungalow. There is a small shop on the area that fill the basic needs. But normally you don´t need many things. The travel to the island is very exhausting, from Germany it is a plane from Frankfurt to Male, from Male with another plane to Kadhdhoo (flight about 1 hour), from there with the speed boat to the island (speed boat about 25 Minutes). The excursion possibilities are reduced to the ones from Robinson. Everything else is very expensive. But even 2 weeks are very ok as the program and the people make you feel great. They have a gib water sport offering but windsurfing, Kite surfing and Katamaran boating is not often possible as there is not enough wind. It´s perfect for snorekling and diving. I did not see any rescue swimmers. Diving is also possible for people without diving license and the diving station there has a very good reputation (Rudi). There is Beachvolleyball, Cross Golf accross the beach (which is no sport but very funny and due to the heat very exhausting). They also offer almost every night a progam after dinner. They don´t push you to attend but many people took the opportunity. On the rooms you have free internet access but the donwload rate is very bad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just returned from Robinson Club stayed 22nd February to 9th March 2013 with one week in beach bungalow second week in water villa, both of good quality but the water villa is definitely a much brighter room as you will have read the island rooms are dark but are of a good standard.

We have visited Medifushi, Lux, Zitahli, Constance Moofushi & Constance Haveveli , I must say for what we paid I think it is honestly well up there not the best accomodation we have stayed in but still good, the food is well up there along with the best always fresh and monitored that it's kept topped up without being too much in other words the food was always hot an fresh which is essential for any good buffet, it was always varied and lots of effort put into Gala nights, Pirates night, Beach Barbeque night, all included within your price!!! Staff generally are always good but they are especially thoughtfull always trying to get you a table where you like, so a special mention to them Nazim , Asmall, Aswar, ( think this is the correct spelling!!!!)

The reef is just the best my wife is not a strong swimmer and a nervous snorkler the reef has very easy access few steps and you are upon the inner reef with the outereef 20 meters from the shoreline in most parts, it's colours and variation of corals is amazing as is swimming with the turtles who appeared most days, lots of bigger fish & mixed types loads to see and look at!!

Getting to the island is long, but on way to Robinson Island I don't think there is that much difference between seaplane and the journey here, we were in our room just on 1 o'clock, with some of our seaplane transfers we were the third lot of passengers being dropped of this has happened twice with us but it always great when you arrive.

It is a German island so obviously majority of guests are German but always were polite but we were lucky with a little company from Dan & Sarah which was nice at Sundowner Bar, I would say the drink you purchase is quite expensive $21 for a Bicardi & Coke, and a Latte Coffee, but with the limited drinks wine,beer& soft drinks included at meal times I supposed the levelled it out.

Thinking about going there not a lot wrong would go back tomorrow !!!

Room Tip: Water Villa a lot brighter that land villas
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Flight: Emirates from NYC. Better carrier than any one in the USA

Trip from Male: One hour flight plus 25 minute boat ride. Long, but worth it.

Room : Garden view , but ours was on the water. Just down from the main restaurant. Guest have mentioned the rooms were dark. Yes , but what are you going to do on your room ?

Food: So much to choose from and the quality was exceptional.

Staff: Friendly and will do what ever they can for you.

House reef: This is why we came to the Maldives, beautiful with lots sea life and new coral growth. The only place I have been better was Bora Bora more color in the coral, but smaller fish. I would rate BB 10/10 and the reef at RC 9/10.

Overall I think we made the right choice to stay here over the other options in the Maldives, everything was as we pictured it to be prior to going. It met our expectations.

If you are from the USA be advised that we were supposedly only the third couple from the USA that has stayed at the resort. Most are German with about 1/3rd Asian. This did not effect are vacation in the least. Everyone speaks English.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

we stayed at this resort in February at the end of a six month round the world trip and what an amazing way to finish. the island is truly beautiful and the friendliest of staff I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We booked a water villa and were not disappointed. The space was out of this world a full super king sized four poster bed and a bathroom fit for royalty. The verandah boasted not only sun beds but a double day bed, jacuzzi and full patio set as well as your own personal steps down into the sea. The food although buffet was nothing like you would normally encounter everything was served by the chefs and freshly cooked as you waited. No two days in the two weeks were the same such a variety of fresh fish, salads and daily themed menus. The beach was un crowded as was the large pool if you wanted to venture into the water there were organised snorkelling round the house reef twice a day. We were there for valentines day and were welcomed to breakfast with champagne and ladies received red roses and more champagne at dinner. The Friday evening dinner is fantastic, canapés and champagne on the terrace followed by a five course meal served at the table. I have special dietary requirements and they accommodated those without any problem. We were the only English couple here at the time as the hotel is a German hotel but met the most friendly guests you could wish for. It is a little more expensive than many of the other Maldives resorts and further to travel to it as you need to take an hours internal flight from Male and then a 30 minute speedboat but if you make the effort you certainly won't rent it.

Room Tip: Having seen the beach villas as well as staying in the water villas both would be a great place to s...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I have just come back from 10 days here and we couldn't have asked for a better holiday. The island is absolutely stunning! The photos do not do the scenery or the accomodation justice...its even more beautiful when you're there.

We stayed in a water villa which was fabulous - loads of space and light and we had our own private deck complete with jacuzzi and steps down straight into the warm blue water. The food was lovely with loads of variety - mainly buffet style but also lots of things made to order. The house reef was amazing...hundreds of fish (including baby reef sharks and sting rays), different varieties of coral, turtles and even lobster. It was probably the best snorkelling I've ever done and I've done a lot! We also did a couple of dives. One on the house reef and one near another island on the atol - both of the dives were fantastic with loads of fish and great coral. The staff we attentive and went out of their way to help us. The rooms are even cleaned twice a day - they couldn't have done more.

I have nothing negative to say - we were just sad to leave. We loved it!!

Room Tip: Water villas are by far the best accomodation. If you can afford one its worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Robinson Club Maldives? Share your experiences!