“Up there with the BEST!!” 5 of 5 stars

Robinson Club Maldives
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Funamadua, Villingili 20077   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Villingili
scotland
“Up there with the BEST!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just returned from Robinson Club stayed 22nd February to 9th March 2013 with one week in beach bungalow second week in water villa, both of good quality but the water villa is definitely a much brighter room as you will have read the island rooms are dark but are of a good standard.

We have visited Medifushi, Lux, Zitahli, Constance Moofushi & Constance Haveveli , I must say for what we paid I think it is honestly well up there not the best accomodation we have stayed in but still good, the food is well up there along with the best always fresh and monitored that it's kept topped up without being too much in other words the food was always hot an fresh which is essential for any good buffet, it was always varied and lots of effort put into Gala nights, Pirates night, Beach Barbeque night, all included within your price!!! Staff generally are always good but they are especially thoughtfull always trying to get you a table where you like, so a special mention to them Nazim , Asmall, Aswar, ( think this is the correct spelling!!!!)

The reef is just the best my wife is not a strong swimmer and a nervous snorkler the reef has very easy access few steps and you are upon the inner reef with the outereef 20 meters from the shoreline in most parts, it's colours and variation of corals is amazing as is swimming with the turtles who appeared most days, lots of bigger fish & mixed types loads to see and look at!!

Getting to the island is long, but on way to Robinson Island I don't think there is that much difference between seaplane and the journey here, we were in our room just on 1 o'clock, with some of our seaplane transfers we were the third lot of passengers being dropped of this has happened twice with us but it always great when you arrive.

It is a German island so obviously majority of guests are German but always were polite but we were lucky with a little company from Dan & Sarah which was nice at Sundowner Bar, I would say the drink you purchase is quite expensive $21 for a Bicardi & Coke, and a Latte Coffee, but with the limited drinks wine,beer& soft drinks included at meal times I supposed the levelled it out.

Thinking about going there not a lot wrong would go back tomorrow !!!

Room Tip: Water Villa a lot brighter that land villas
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Flight: Emirates from NYC. Better carrier than any one in the USA

Trip from Male: One hour flight plus 25 minute boat ride. Long, but worth it.

Room : Garden view , but ours was on the water. Just down from the main restaurant. Guest have mentioned the rooms were dark. Yes , but what are you going to do on your room ?

Food: So much to choose from and the quality was exceptional.

Staff: Friendly and will do what ever they can for you.

House reef: This is why we came to the Maldives, beautiful with lots sea life and new coral growth. The only place I have been better was Bora Bora more color in the coral, but smaller fish. I would rate BB 10/10 and the reef at RC 9/10.

Overall I think we made the right choice to stay here over the other options in the Maldives, everything was as we pictured it to be prior to going. It met our expectations.

If you are from the USA be advised that we were supposedly only the third couple from the USA that has stayed at the resort. Most are German with about 1/3rd Asian. This did not effect are vacation in the least. Everyone speaks English.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

we stayed at this resort in February at the end of a six month round the world trip and what an amazing way to finish. the island is truly beautiful and the friendliest of staff I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We booked a water villa and were not disappointed. The space was out of this world a full super king sized four poster bed and a bathroom fit for royalty. The verandah boasted not only sun beds but a double day bed, jacuzzi and full patio set as well as your own personal steps down into the sea. The food although buffet was nothing like you would normally encounter everything was served by the chefs and freshly cooked as you waited. No two days in the two weeks were the same such a variety of fresh fish, salads and daily themed menus. The beach was un crowded as was the large pool if you wanted to venture into the water there were organised snorkelling round the house reef twice a day. We were there for valentines day and were welcomed to breakfast with champagne and ladies received red roses and more champagne at dinner. The Friday evening dinner is fantastic, canapés and champagne on the terrace followed by a five course meal served at the table. I have special dietary requirements and they accommodated those without any problem. We were the only English couple here at the time as the hotel is a German hotel but met the most friendly guests you could wish for. It is a little more expensive than many of the other Maldives resorts and further to travel to it as you need to take an hours internal flight from Male and then a 30 minute speedboat but if you make the effort you certainly won't rent it.

Room Tip: Having seen the beach villas as well as staying in the water villas both would be a great place to s...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I have just come back from 10 days here and we couldn't have asked for a better holiday. The island is absolutely stunning! The photos do not do the scenery or the accomodation justice...its even more beautiful when you're there.

We stayed in a water villa which was fabulous - loads of space and light and we had our own private deck complete with jacuzzi and steps down straight into the warm blue water. The food was lovely with loads of variety - mainly buffet style but also lots of things made to order. The house reef was amazing...hundreds of fish (including baby reef sharks and sting rays), different varieties of coral, turtles and even lobster. It was probably the best snorkelling I've ever done and I've done a lot! We also did a couple of dives. One on the house reef and one near another island on the atol - both of the dives were fantastic with loads of fish and great coral. The staff we attentive and went out of their way to help us. The rooms are even cleaned twice a day - they couldn't have done more.

I have nothing negative to say - we were just sad to leave. We loved it!!

Room Tip: Water villas are by far the best accomodation. If you can afford one its worth it.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I spent 8 nights at this resort in January. This was our first time to the Maldive.
We chose this resort based on the following criteria: Good house reef, good food and semi- luxurious accommodation. Our stay was split between the beach villas and overwater villa.

Firstly, the rooms are much nice than what it appears in pictures however, I do agree with the other reviews that the rooms too dark and require more lighting against the dark floor boards.
I was also disappointed with the quality of linen/towels/pillows.

Secondly, the overwater villas do not disappoint. They are a little brighter, larger and more private. Although the snorkelling isn't as good around that side, it was nice to have the jacuzzi on the deck. If you can afford to stay a night or two...it is a nice change.

The house reef is great with an large variety of colour fish and coral. Saw a few turtles and reef sharks. My husband even saw a pod of dolphins on his fish trip. The snorkelling is much better on the beach villa side. We have snorkelled most of the pacific and found the fish much larger here.

The food is buffet breakfast and buffet dinner with themed nights. Great variety but lacked a little bit in the quality. Lots of pastas, pizza, salad, curries, steak etc. Being vegetarian, I did find the food a little repetitive after 8 nights.

The layout of the resort is a bit confusing as the signs to the villas are not very clear, we managed to get lost a few times in the evening as the pathways are not very well lit. We ended up bring a torch with us which was handy as the generator broke on one side of the island.
The decking is suffering wear and tear despite the resort only being open for 3 years. Apparently there are closing in April to do minor repairs on the decking.

The staff are friendly and there are evening nights where you can join the team for drinks at the bar or dancing or casino night. The music on some of these nights can bit a bit loud but we were on the overwater villa and so did not hear too much.

Had a massage at the Wellfit Spa and it was wonderful. One of the better massages I have had. There are also pilate/yoga classes but we did not participate.

Activities: we participated in the hand fishing and snorkelling tour. Personally we felt that the snorkelling was much better around the resort than it was at the other island. My husband also went on the big game fishing trip. He found this disappointing as they did not catch very much and he thought the crew were not very experienced (eg they kept trawling up and down in the same area for 3-4hrs using the same bait instead of change area or bait)

Overall we had a lovely relaxing trip. I was expecting a better quality of service/special touches considering the Maldives is such a romantic "Honeymoon" destination. Not sure if I would go back to this resort again as not only did it take a while to get there (additional flight from Male and speedboat) it didn't live up to the service side of my expectations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hithadhoo, Seenu, Maldives
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

this is the best club in Maldives .. i love it. and i will love to spend my holidays ... and the best thing i love is the staff helpfulness .... and especially front desk ... i love Robinson ... thank you

Room Tip: water vilaa
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was a honeymoon trip and our first time to the Maldives. I was looking for a excluded place (some islands are too close to Male), looking for great diving, a spacious and high quality water villa, and obviously beauty. In almost all areas Robinson did not disappoint. Their staff was very well trained and hospitable. They always talk to you or say hi (without it being annoying). I had long conversations with many of them and they all had the mindset of "I enjoy working here because my job is to make people feel happy" - this was obviously the management training them well. The island itself is nice although I don't have much to compare it with. Food was incredible. My only complaint would be that I wanted more of it. It was only open for so long and there was lots of times I wanted more food and snacks. I would have liked to see bigger sharks and fish but it may have not been the right season or area (went in June). Another criticism would be that the hot tub on the deck was not working. I had read a review before going that this was the same for someone else. Essentially it was useless because it was just cold semi dirty water sitting there. The deck boards definitely needed to be sanded down and redone, but I don't really care about that (but you might if you're wanting to give your girl a "extreme luxury" feel. If I go back to the Maldives I'd like to try other islands. We went diving a few times, was great. Snorkeling from the water villa was also great, saw over 5 dolphins, a couple little (harmless) sharks and lots of fish. Really felt like we had our own space. For the second half of our stay we stayed in a garden villa - wish I would have chosen a beach villa instead to be super close to the water still. But garden villa was still great and felt really secluded. Loved the canopy bed in the water villa.
Conclusion - really know what you want, don't just pick at random an island, do your research as I know they can be very different. If Robinson has your qualifications I highly recommend it to you, you will love it, my wife was in shock and crying at how beautiful it was.

Room Tip: I asked for as far out as possible water villa, that way less people would be walking by and its a q...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Robinson Club Maldives? Share your experiences!