“Dont be scared off by previous reviews” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orange
Effingham, New Hampshire
“Dont be scared off by previous reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Recently I had to travel to Orange Ct for business. Through my corporate travel partner I booked to courtyard. After the booking I read reviews on Tripadvisor about black mold ect. I was truly concerned about my stay. What I found was a decent courtyard (although it does show its age) friendly staff and a clean room. I actually look around found no black mold...the only thing I noticed is the picture stuck to the wall in the bathroom is starting to curl probably because of the steam. This courtyard is right off the highway, easy to get to and was a good night stay. I would stay here again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Stratford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I went away for a night here. We only live one town away, but are the very tired parents of young twin boys, and are very sleep deprived. My mom stayed with our kids and told us to go away for a night. I wanted to stay close, so I did do Priceline and got this hotel. It is a hidden little gem!

When we checked in the girl checking us in was really kind. On our way to our room was passed probably 6ish workers, and every single one of them was smiling and greeting us with "Hi" and "hello". This hotel sits right behind an Outback restaurant (literally, 25 steps to it!) so my husband and I walked over and had a drink and dessert.

When we came back to the hotel we were again given a smile and addressed nicely.

The room was nice. It was clean. It was pretty basic, although had a nice flat screen TV. The king size bed was comfy and we slept great.

I will definitely be coming back to stay here (calling direct rather than chance my luck on Priceline again)!

Sincerely
One now well rested mama!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Im here in New Haven, CT on business and trip was going pretty well. Tonight 10/09/12 so far is a night from hell. Someone in a room near mine is smoking what smells like packs of cigarettes. The smell is so overpowering it feels like I'm suffocating. The desk person came up and sprayed febreeze, gave me 2 breakfast coupons. I know the Marriott brand and this isn't it, I'm terribly disappointed.

Room Tip: Feel like I'm going to die
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
jtcarpen, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Orange, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Like all Courtyard hotels we are completely non-smoking. Unfortunately once a guest chooses to smoke in their room and break the rules the damage is done. As you experienced smoke often travels between rooms.

I apologize for your inconvenience and I completely understand how the smoke smell would negatively impact your experience at our hotel.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your experience further.

Jeff Carpenter

Travelers are raving about these Orange hotels

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard Saturday night. It was one of the few hotels in the area that actually had a vacancy. We were extremely road weary, and checked in at 1:30am at a competitive rate of $99. When I entered the lobby, I noticed it was modern and updated. There were guests sleeping in the lobby on the chairs. I am not sure why the manager would allow guests to be sleeping out in the lobby when the obviously had paid for a room. It looked a bit trashy. When we entered our room I was hit with the smell of mildew. The curtains were grey and covered in black mold, as was the popcorn ceiling, and the shower curtain! The entire room was full of mold! I also found a good amount of hair in the shower. The comforter has various stains on it, and the remote control was encrusted with g-d knows what. My husband immediately called the front desk. They offered us two vouchers for a free breakfast. I thought it was nice, but my skin was crawling. I attempted to the open the window, because the mold was making it hard to breath. The window was jammed shut with a safety bar, and I was unable to open it. I barely slept at all. My husband and I cuddled together with a thin sheet and toss and turned all night. When morning arrived we were still exhausted. We headed to the lobby after we woke up, and my husband once again spoke with a manager. They agreed to extend to us a 25% discount on the room. This was extremely accommodating, but did make up for the fact that they have a serious health hazard. Two days later and I am still coughing! I would never stay at this courtyard again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jtcarpen, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Orange, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
I can understand your concern with the mildew in your guest room and I apologize that we clearly failed to provide you with a quality product. I know that when you spoke with the Assistant General Manager he made sure the room was properly cleaned and the mildew was removed. It also sounds like the staff tried to accommodate you, but I understand how this experience would be a negative and I again apologize from the entire staff. We have used your observations as a training tool to ensure the Housekeeping staff is checking the curtains and the celling behind the window valance.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

This courtyard by marriot is located close to 95. When you walk in they have an updated lobby with "the bistro" and a go
Board. The staff was freindly and helpful, but their BUISNESS edict is not very good. They do not have any dress code and the staff does not have there name badges all on the same side of their shirt. Since I am a marriot rewards Ellite member I have stayed at many marriot and I have never seen where you got free wifi like all courtyards have but, you have to pay extra for better and a faster connection.
The rooms have not been fully updated because the bathroom is outdated, but clean. Also the sheets are different and the old model from the new courtyard. It worked out fine. The rooms are in good condition but, they must be renovated to meet marriot standards.
In the morning we ate at the "bistro" and enjoyed our BREAKFEST. The selection is good. An a la carte fee is charged. It is not included. The portions were large and the food was out of the kitchen timely. The buffet in the morning is not worth it at all!! Do not get it. You buy better food in the restaurant. The buffet is small and has a small selection. The stay was fine but if you can stay somewhere better at a compatible price then don't stay here!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. We are continuing to make improvements at the property, including uniforms for our front desk staff, but we strive to provide a clean product and friendly service while we make these changes.
Cranston, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel at least 2 times a year for the past 3 years with varying degrees of satisfaction. On the whole, the hotel is clean and well located for our needs. The buffet breakfast is suitable with a good variety and standard quality for this level property. While I have had some struggles with staff at this hotel, my last 2 stays involved multiple, extremely positive interactions with Karl Fletcher at the front desk. This man took care of my family's every need both courteously and rapidly. Karl should be working at a 5 star hotel. His service made this stay and our previous stay outstanding. He made up for some logistical errors with our room and rate. When my wife accidentally bumped her head on the exit door, he came right outside, offered her a water and made sure she was ok before leaving. I can't say enough great things about Karl. Every hotel employee should attend a training session under his direction. Outstanding!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
jtcarpen, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Orange, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Steve,

Thank you for your kind words. Karl is a recent addition to the hotel staff. He is our new Assistant General Manager and his dedication to service has shown itself numerous times in his first few months. We are lucky to have a team member like Karl leading and teaching our staff.

We look forward to serving you in the future and thank you for your patronage.

203-799-2200 ext. 6001
seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband has stayed here once and said it was Ok. We stayed for one night when my son had a very early baseball game. I would not stay there again. The lobby is new and thats it. It was 100+ degrees outside and the staff wasn't sure if they had a functioning ice machine. I couldn't take a deep breath in the room for the moldy smell. There was black mold growing in the shower, and the room was so damp and cold it was ridiculous. My recommendation: stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jtcarpen, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Orange, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Rainescape,

I am the new General Manager of the hotel.

Reading your critique of the hotel I can understand your frustration and decision not to choose our hotel for your next visit to the New Haven area. I offer my sincerest apology that you were given a room that was not up to the high standard of Courtyard by Marriott.

I can assure you that as the new General Manager I am working with the team to solve the issues that you mentioned as they are not acceptable. Mildew removal in the room is top priority for the maintenance and housekeeping staff.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss the matter further.

203-799-2200 Ext. 6001

Been to Courtyard New Haven Orange? Share your experiences!