“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 73 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Rustic Adirondack Bar & Grill. The Bear & Grill offers a casual American menu with regional specials, with most items including desserts and breads made fresh daily.Decor and ambiance is fun and casual. It evokes images of a bygone era of the great camps and lodges of the Adirondacks, complete with a floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace, split logs and twigs, massive antler chandeliers, camping memorabilia, and our own Log Cabin bar.
West Haven, Connecticut, United States
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

started off with bad server. Food price increased as we were ordering even though the menu had a specific price. I thought this was against the law. Called to speak to Manager, but he couldn't care less.

Visited August 2013

“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The food here is great and it's perfect for all ages! I've been here many times and my friends and family love it! Every Sunday they hold a brunch buffet which has all kinds of different items. There's breakfast, lunch, a salad bar, carving station, and a fruit and desert station. The interior is beautifully designed and kids love to look at the twinkling stars on the ceiling. I definitely recommend this place!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stamford
“Unpleasently Surprised”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stopped off on our way home to Stamford from Ikea; decided to just drive down the Post Road until we saw a place that might serve some burgers for lunch. We came upon B&G and decide to ive it a try (we had never eaten at either locations nor had we heard or read any reviews).

The place is a little quirky with the decorations; a little over the top, but we didn't mind. The staff was extremely friendly and I feel bad about giving the place such a low review, but perhaps the management will get the hint and do something to address the problems there so the staff will have a place to work at in the future.

The food took rather long to come out (a chicken wrap and a New England crab cake sandwich). The crab cake was ok - average, but my wife couldn't even finish half of the wrap. We finished and were ready to go, but for some reason we had to wait another 30 minutes to get our check. I'm not sure why it all took so long; there was plenty of wait staff and very few people in the dining room.

On the way out, the floor manager / host asked us how our lunch was - and we were compelled to explain our experience. He was very apologetic and offered to buy us another lunch anytime we want, but we explained that we are hardly in the area. Again, he seemed very nice and I hate to write a bad review, but that stretch of road has way too many restaurant options and if they continue to operate this way, they wont be open for very much longer and I would feel even worse of the nice people working there were out of a job. By reading other reviews on this and other sites since we got home, I see we aren't the only ones who had a rough experience. I hope the management can address their issues.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
East Hartford
“We walked out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The restaurant smelled horrible and the staff barely spoke English. The had no allergen menu and couldn't understand what we were talking about.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Meriden, Connecticut
“Don't Go Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We went here one other time and the food was just ok. We thought that it might be a bad night so we decided to give it another try. Sorry we did. Our waiter was fine. He was attentive and tried to be helpful. The calamari was good so we thought that the first time might have a mistake. It was tender, lightly battered and really good. Jack ordered the rib eye and I opted for the Cicken pot pie.

Where do I begin. The DJ who was setting up complained to the manager about the music overhead. I didn't find it all that offensive but he complained that children were in the bar area having dinner and the music was inappropriate. The manager shrugged and blamed it on the waiter and laughed it off. Our entrees took quite a while to come out and there were only a few groups of people in the bar area. No one was in the dining room on a Thursday night!!!! A bad sign.

Now the food....The rib eye was over cooked, the onion straws were burned, the vegetables were charred and the squash was mostly seeds. Hmm, that leaves the mashed potatoes...they were the best thing on the plate. The pot pie that the waiter said was a good choice looked fabulous. That was the end of it. The dough on top was crispy on top but soggy underneath. I have never eaten something this tasteless. The gravy had absolutely no flavor. The chicken didn't taste like anything. No seasoning, not any flavor of chicken. When the waiter came to check on our food, I did tell him that it was bland and not good. He apologized and that was it. I don't know if told the manager, which is what a good waiter should do. The manager never came over to talk to us, again wrong. We soon understood though upon leaving...he was too busy hitting on the bartender. No apology, no nothing. I completed the survey on the receipt with my email address...we'll see. But at this point, never again.