“So sorry I did not heed the warnings!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn to your Saves list
Quality Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Essex Rd, Old Saybrook, CT 06475 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in Old Saybrook
Fresh Meadows, New York
“So sorry I did not heed the warnings!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

Disregarded the poor reviews and took my wife for her birthday to this hotel. Big Mistake. The first room we were given on the ground floor reeked of mold and mildew. Promptly asked for a room on the second floor which appeared nicer at first. When I later turned on the A/C unit the room was filled with a moldy mildew aroma. I took out the A/C filters which were covered with soot and washed them. No help--the A/C fans inside were covered in black mildew. I was told by maintenance most of the units were in this condition. Purchased a large can of Lysol at the local Walmart and sprayed the fan blades. Again, no help. So we slept with the windows open and dozed on and off with the I-95 traffic providing a din of noise in the background.
TV reception was less than perfect due to a bad satellite dish. TV shows would break up, buzz, hum and the picture would finally go out on a continuous basis.(Perhaps they ran the TV thru the A/C ducts!)
Apparently some rooms are rented out long term to residents. We passed a room with an open door and noticed it furnished more like an apartment with clothes and boxes everywhere.
The restaurant serves a meager continental breakfast, so we opted for a "full service" meal instead--inexpensive and not all together bad.
The indoor pool on the other hand was fine. Warm pool water and the pool area room superheated to 116 degrees !!
Just stay out of the bathrooms in the pool area--the sauna had graffiti painted and scratched into the wood.
---you certainly wouldn't want your children to read it.
Overall, the hotel workers seemed to be o.k.--just don't leave a do not disturb sign on the door--we did twice till 9 A.M.-- and a note was passed under the door informing that if we wanted our room made up we had to make special arrangements via the front desk.
It was a shame to stay in a property like this. My wife was expecting a nice long relaxing weekend and we ended up here. Again, I accept full responsibility as I DID read the following reviews beforehand. And, after all this were we ever glad to get home and sleep in our own bed!

• Stayed September 2005

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
AuSable Forks, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2005

This motel was not too bad for the price we paid for it. Our room was nice, it had two double beds (very comfortable), a desk with chair, table and two chairs as well as a small fridge, microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, ironing board with iron. The location was right off I-95, exit 69. I did have some problem with the front desk personnel being rather unknowledgeable and unprofessional. The maintenance workers and chambermaids were much more pleasant than the majority of front desk personnel we encountered. The breakfast left something to be desired but i have had worse, there just wasn't much selection. The kids really enjoyed the pool, although I felt it was too warm to be rejuventating. If I were going to be in the area again, I would probably stay here, as the postives outweigh the negatives.

new jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2005

Let me begin by stating that we've stayed in our fare share of beach side motels... The only criteria is that the facilities are clean and relatively updated. That said, my husband and I checked into this hotel for an area family reunion. No sooner did we check into our "room" that we felt the urge to check out.... The carpeting in the halls was worn and stained; with a peculiar odor which we couldn't easily identify. Once we arrived in our room, to a similar sense of uncleanliness and disrepair, we immediately began calling some friends from the area to find a quick getaway. Fortunately, we were able to find some friends that were willing to aid in our hour of need. We immediately returned to the front desk and checked out.... So, I reiterate, Stay far, far away from the Comfort Inn Old Saybrook. They truly should have their franchise rights revoked!

• Stayed June 2004
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2004

I am very forgiving when it comes to hotels, but this hotel is just a complete waste of money. It is in a very ugly area, off of the interstate. The hotel itself is incredibly rundown. They seemed to be doing some refurbishment (summer '04), but it is about 10 years overdue. Avoid this unless you can't find anything else in the price range.

• Stayed August 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2004

Though reservations were competently handled directly and front desk was generally courteous, comfortable beds were not made properly; kleenex box had 2 tissues (unreplaced), front desk failed to answer calls including emergency "0" number, door lock cards had to be refreshed 3 times (desk wrongly implied customers at fault); rooms and hallways were dark and dingy with ragged stained carpets; old TV set malfunctioned without warning on 9 limited channels; noisy restaurant with average food, shaky tables, but personnel were only grudgingly helpful. Well located for tourism, but NOT worth rate charged!!
My wife now refuses to STAY at another Comfort Inn.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2004

Advertised as totally renovated was not true. Hallways were dirty and carpets were stained. The room had a distinct mildew smell from the AC unit which was covered in mold. Bathroom was dirty/moldy-used razor was left in tub. TV didn't work right. Asked front desk to replace light over bed that was burned out - shards from the light were on the comforter and on floor when we arrived- and to vacuum well. Light was not replaced during our two night stay. In room coffee was not replenished. Breakfast was as expected but would not have eaten in the restaurant if it had not come with the room.

• Stayed July 2004
Floral Park, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2004

My husband and I stayed here the weekend of February 27, 2004. The hotel personnel were very pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean and conveniently located on the 1st floor (we are seniors). The indoor swimming pool was a pleasure we enjoyed. A basic breakfast was included in our room rate which gave us a jump start to the day. A seafood restaurant within walking distance of the motel was excellent. It was an easy on/off I-95 to get to Mystic etc. We are going back again the end of April.

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!