“Escape To Decadence” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Old Saybrook
NYC
“Escape To Decadence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is far from my first stay with the folks at the Saybrook Inn and Spa but it was one of my most decadent. This time I chose to stay in a full suite over looking the mouth of the Connecticut River as it joins with the Long Island Sound. These people know how to do a sweet, suite. A king size bed with expansive window views and French doors opening onto a living room complete with working fireplace and adjacent formal dining room for six. If it's a part you seek, this may be the answer to venue. The bathroom has not only an oversized Jacuzzi but a glass enclosed shower as well. The entire bathroom is done in beautiful marble. If this is not enough, the suite even sports a separate area just for a woman to put on make up and dress to the nines.

Oh, while you're here, don't miss out on the wonderfully prepared meals at Fresh Salt, the hotels own restaurant and leave time for a visit to the spa as well.

For a special birthday, anniversary or Valentine's Day, you would be hard pressed to find a better location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
andyabels, General Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you and I hope you will try our new guest house-Three Stories opening on or about 7/1/13. I think we have the right idea about providing an environment free from excess choice and peaceful. Excess choice sounds like something out of "1984" but we do believe it is a valid idea. Thank you again. Andy Abels

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My girlfriend (s) and I try visit the Inn several times a year and also have spa services. We look for the Travelzoo specials when offered and have never been disappointed . We would like to see more variety in restaurant the menu however. The hotel staff is always very friendly and Professional. We always feel very welcomed. We look forward to our next stay and most certainly will visit the spa while there. We enjoy the option of having a fire started to enjoy while we are catching up with each other's news.

I cannot say enough about the service and greeting from the staff at the front desk. They are not only very professional but very accommodating as well.

Room Tip: Have ever been disappointed in our rooms. Do like having the two easy chairs making a sitting area...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your nice comments, we appreciate them. We are working at making sure each room has a sitting area with two easy chairs. At this point there are about 10 rooms that do not have a complete area. I hope to finish in the next month or so.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We spent a wonderful weekend here. This was our first time here. I think the reviews are better than our experience but seeing another disappointed reviewer for the same weekend we visited , maybe they had a bad weekend. (which a good place shouldn’t have).
The food, which is reviewed as fabulous by so many people was good but far from fabulous. My Salmon arrived raw on the inside, and my wife’s duck was tough. I found the salad tasteless like they forgot to add the dressing. Other parts of the meal were good like the calamari but not outstanding. Breakfast was much better except the cappuccino. If you’re a coffee snob, skip it.
The room: Was nice but not as exotic as I expected for the price we were paying. (jacuzzi, fire place, separate sitting area with couch, TV… ) It was very clean and the only thing that I give 5 stars to. I was very disappointed in the bedding. You pay hundreds of dollars for a night in a place like this you expect to get into bed and sink in to soft silky amazing sheets. This bed had sheets that even at home I consider too old to use and time for new ones. The pillows and blanket as well. The suite we got was supposed to come with a king size bed but had a queen. It came with a Jacuzzi. Wouldn’t you expect a ‘spa’ to provide the rooms (which you pay extra for the Jacuzzi) with bath salts and some really nice soaps and lotions, maybe some candles or at least a dimmer… well, we did have a Jacuzzi tub and it worked and it was clean but no salts, we had 1 tiny shampoo, 1 conditioner and 1 tiny lotion that was so cheap my face was burning after trying it. There were 5 lights that all worked on 1 switch and made me feel like I was on a photo shoot having my portrait done. The room came with a cheep drip coffee maker and if you wanted to use the bottled water they charge you. (that happens in Howard Johnson’s not high end hotels).
I had ordered Chocolate covered strawberries which were delicious, but it was supposed to be a surprise, and in any hotel that I ever order cheese and Champaign or Chocolate covered strawberries, it‘s always there when we arrive. Here, we were in the room for one and a half hours, we already ordered some snacks because our dinner reservations weren’t for a couple more hours and then out of the blue someone knocks on the door and brings us the chocolate covered strawberries which I just assumed we weren’t getting. When I had mentioned this at checkout, instead of an apology, or maybe saying that they do it differently here, all he said was: “you didn’t ask for it to be there when you arrived”. OK…!
All this said, I think the Old Saybrook inn is on an absolutely beautiful piece of property, on the water and is probably a great place in the summer. It is surrounded by some very cute CT small towns. I think the hotel is not as great as I read about and too expensive for what I got. The service was good but no one went out of their way to make it just a touch above the rest. I felt the place lacks finesse. Not sure I would go back I think I would probably prefer to try a different place for that price range.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
andyabels, General Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your thorough review which makes many good points. The best reviews make points we haven't thought of or looks at a situation from a different viewpoint.

You gave me much to think about. Thank you. Andy Abels
East Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Loved our room, but fireplace caused it to smoke up. they don't have chimney's, only flues. Spa relaxation room is co-ed and seeing a mans "parts" hanging out of his robe is not what I came for. Also, the spa staff needs to "shut up." The front desk staff was laughing and joking so loud it was impossible to relax. Room was nice, food for both breakfast and dinner was TERRIBLE!!! Over cooked with lousy service. I have been to SPI many times, this was the LAST. Property has gone downhill!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
andyabels, General Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I' m really sorry everthing went so wrong. I'd really like to know more about your stay and I've sent a message to you that I hope you receive. It is through Tripadvisor and I'm worried it is not a place you check.
Clearly something pretty significant happened that spoiled your stay and I'd really like to know more. Whatever is was I'm sorry it happened and will do all that I can to prevent it from happening again. Andy Abels
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I were left to our own devices this past Thanksgiving, so we decided to flee the madness associated with family gatherings, and head east. We had visited the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa while searching for a wedding location for our daughter, and found it to be lovely, so we booked a stay for Thanksgiving.

What an amazing weekend. EVERYTHING was perfect: the hotel staff could not have been more welcoming and accommodating. You can certainly tell they love their jobs and working at the inn. Our room was pristine and perfectly appointed. Our room overlooked the harbor and had a magnificent 270 degree view of the water. Our room and bathroom were huge. The bed was VERY comfortable. The temperature settings were easily adjustable, and there was no fan noise. The hotel was quiet, even though it was filled with guests. What a restful and relaxing place.

Our Thanksgiving dinner was fit for royals. THe food was equally as beautiful as it was delicious. The dining staff did everything to fuss over each guest.

During our stay, I visited the lovely spa and took advantage of several services. My facial was perfect (although there's only so much a facial can do for a Baby Boomer) and my mani-pedi were also wonderful. My massage was just okay, but I really loved the masseuse. The spa staff could not have been more friendly and welcoming.

OUr weekend was fabulous, and we will certainly return. Bravo, Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, you won us over. We will be back with our pals.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I wish I had saved your review for a day I was feeling poorly or grouchy. It would have given me a needed lift and I almost feel like I wasted the delight I'm experiencing on a good day.
Sincerely, thank you for such a nice review that was written with a special flare. Andy Abels
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

From the moment I walked through those grand mahogany lobby doors, I knew I had arrived somewhere fabulous. The staff was so welcoming and ready to help. The spa is so tranquil with even amenities such as a fireplace. Lastly there is the Sunday Brunch which really is fit for a Queen or King. They have amazing chefs with nothing less than an incredible spread. I cannot wait to go back with friends and have a girls day out at The Saybrook Inn & Spa. If you have not been yet your really missing out on a wonderful experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We have some special packages for girlfriend getaways that include condos for 4-6 people. They can add a dimension to your time away.
We hope to welcome you back soon. Andy Abels
NEW JERSEY< USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I recently decided to take a road trip and sightsee in Connecticut. We have never spent any time in the state other than driving thru. We did some research on several places to stay throughout the state. We stumbled across Saybrook Point and Spa's website and were very impressed. We called Saybrook and spoke to MaryEllen in reservations. We asked her about the hotel, spa, restaurant and things to do in the dead of the winter. She was so nice and very helpful that after speaking to her we chose to stay there. She suggested the bed and breakfast package and in a few hours later we were there. All I have to say is WOW! The place was beautiful, charming and very romantic. We were treated with a warm welcome as soon as we got there. The room was beautiful modern and clean and it had an awesome view of the marina. The wood-burning fireplace was a nice touch, as well as chilled bottle of wine that was waiting for us. The spa was one of the nicest places that I have ever visited. The common area was like a page in Architectural Digest magazine. Finally, when things couldn't get any better, the
breakfast was heavenly. The restaurant had so much character and the service was impeccable. It was by far the best overall experience we have ever had on a spontaneous, romantic getaway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
andyabels, General Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!