“Beautiful town, disgusting motel. Avoid if at all possible” 2 of 5 stars

Days Inn Old Saybrook
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1430 Boston Post Road, Old Saybrook, CT 06475   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Old Saybrook
Texas
“Beautiful town, disgusting motel. Avoid if at all possible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

We were in town for a family reunion and booked last minute by another family member. We started out in a smoking room, again; booked by family member, and were disgusted. The room smelled which can only be expected. The tv didnt work and the bath tub drain was clogged. The mattresses were not covered and were filthy. Blankets were stained and full of cigarette burns. The actual sheets on the bed seemed clean but VERY thin- I could see through them to the stained pillows and mattress underneath. 4 out of 5 of our towels were stained and we had to go exchange them for new ones. Carpet appeared dirty as well, bathroom was dingy and dirty; shower curtain was dirty. Ugh, I'm not high maintenance but this was the worst room I've ever slept in. I literally slept on a clean beach towel I had brought with me. Everything else nearby under $300 was booked so we were stuck here. The next day thankfully we were able to change rooms and get one of the 3 bed non-smoking rooms a few doors down, night and day difference! Still not anything to rave about but at least it was cleaner and more updated. There appeared to be mildew on the bathroom ceiling but didnt even care at that point because I was just so happy to have a clean bed! The staff were all a little strange but perfectly helpful and friendly. They cant help that the place is a dump. Breakfast was very limited but not a big deal. We ate out.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I would not expect this ever in my life i got stuck staying here we had a wedding at waters edge. And I would say this place is a junkyard room smell and carpets have dirty smell the stairway leading to my room make noise seem like it will fall apart. People at front desk were not nice. Breakfast was not worth it old stiff bread and nothing else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding, and at first we had a double room which was not to our expectations. It smelled like must/mildew - there were cobwebs on the lamp, there were stains on the pillow, the toilet paper holder was broken off of the wall, and the bathtub was dirty with mold surrounding the tub. Later that night we asked to change rooms and Ed, the front desk manager, graciously accommodated us with a room which he personally escorted us to to make sure we were happy. We had no complaints with the new room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Providence
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We booked a stay at the Days Inn last minute through Priceline, because were were going to Mohegan Sun and didn't want to drive home or pay the ridiculous rates at Mohegan. I did the name your own price feature, and was really hoping to keep it around $80, and I did.

We didn't have high expectations, therefore, we weren't disappointed. The Days Inn is in a nice town in CT, so it is in a safe location.

It wasn't up to date, and a little dingy actually, is what I noticed upon checking in. The staff was very friendly, and welcoming. We got our room, and basically it is a place to sleep, with a bathroom and a TV, nothing extravagant. It fit our needs, as all we wanted was a place to sleep for the night.

I was a little put off by the smell in our room, I couldn't pin point it, but I guess it was the smell of old smoke. It was unpleasant, but I got used to it after about 15 minutes of being there. I will say, I did check the bed for bed bugs (I'm paranoid lol)....and there were none. The mattress was new, and the sheets were clean, (I checked everything.) The bed was hard, which was a little uncomfortable, but once I fell asleep, I couldn't tell the difference. The bathroom was sufficient, nothing fancy, but certainly functional in every way.

If you are low maintenance and are simply looking for a bed to sleep in for the night, and keeping the cost down, than this will work for you. I wouldn't want to stay there for days at a time, but a one night thing, no problem. It fit our needs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Philly suburbs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

The room was horrible! The rug was damp,hot water was intermittent, towels were worn thin and scratchy, stained blanket, mold in bathroom. I could go on but why bother. They need a entire redo. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

This is one of the worst places I have ever stayed. I stayed here because I was attending a wedding and this hotel was one of the ones blocked for family and friends. Upon entering our non-smoking room we were met with the unpleasant aroma of a room that had been smoked in for years. We ended up keeping the windows open and the air conditioner full blast to try to air which was horribly wasteful and of no use anyway. In addition, there were stains all over the floor, blood on the blankets, some sort of black streaks all over the pillows, and mold on the bathroom ceiling. We considered asking for a different room, but upon speaking with other friends and family who were staying there it seemed that every room was just as bad or worse. My uncle said he was bitten by bugs while he slept, and another relative was so disgusted by her room that she slept in full clothing to avoid having any part of her body touch the bedding. The one positive is that the horrendous conditions of the rooms gave the wedding guests who didn't all know one another something to talk about at the wedding. I have no idea how this hotel is able to charge $130 per night for a room because this seems like the type of hotel that would have trouble charging $50 per night in any other location. I guess there are limited options in Old Saybrook based on the options I've seen on tripadvisor. Bottom line, you couldn't pay me to stay here another night.

Room Tip: stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Shady Side
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Upon arrival the building looks rundown but inside is definately in need of updating and help. My family and I stayed in 2 rooms, both with a strong musty,moldy, smokey smell, very old bedding which was a little creepy to sleep in, (we removed the top bedspread) torn shower curtain, ceing in bat was cracked and ready to come down in some small areas, air conditioers were load and my daughters leaked on the floor in her room. Would never expect this kind of room for $150.00 a night plus tax!..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Old Saybrook? Share your experiences!