“Nice surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Aspen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 73 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Transit: Across the street from Amtrak Station/Shoreline East commuter train
Bangor, Maine
“Nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Bartender was friendly, seemed like a place the locals love. Food was outstanding. Vegetarian risotto rocked my vegetarian socks, grilled romaine salad was banger, and the peanut butter napoleon dessert was unbelievable. And I'm not usually a dessert person. This restaurant made our trip.

Visited October 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Service, Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We took a pre-wedding party of 10 here for dinner. The inside is much nicer than it's roadside location suggest, with a comfortably laid out, relatively quiet, peaceful atmosphere. The menu is extensive, inventive, well-plated and served. Our waiter was excellent: cheerful, helpful, informed. If I lived in the area I would go here often.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Old Lyme, Connecticut
“Do not let the location of this restaurant keep you from going there.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Aspen is located in a furniture store but I urge you to go there. The inside of the restaurant is lovely, the food is very good and presented well. The wait staff are equal as good. I have eaten here many times and have always enjoyed myself. The one downside is the prices are somewhat high.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Waterford, Connecticut
“Sooooooo Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This past week we chose Aspen for a special lunch. Several friends highly recommended it. I think that they must have been "high". Our server was friendly and helpful. On the other hand, the food was another story. My daughter ordered the lobster panini, I ordered the chicken panini. They were both just awful. My mother had the fish and chips and enjoyed them. Not for any price would I have enjoyed my meal, and believe me the price was high. Needless to say, we will not return.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Old Saybrook, CT
“Love & Hate Relationship”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We've been to Aspen many times since they first opened for lunch and dinner. We've been both amazed and dismayed by both the food and service. Sometimes the restaurant is warm and friendly, yet other times it's cold and loud. So lately I've been avoiding it. But we're on their weekly email list (arrives on Thursday) and the Saturday night special fish was John Dory. My wife and I both love John Dory but rarely see it at any local restaurant, so we made an early dinner reservation for Saturday night and went to Aspen.

And of course we were disappointed... no John Dory. I should have known better. The chef couldn't get it so the substitution fish was Wahoo. Luckily we both like Wahoo, so we ordered it along with their mixed green salads. Our waitress was extremely apologetic about the change in fish and did everything she could to make us happy. The salads were great and the Wahoo was exceptional. The noise level was quite reasonable, so my overall impression this time was very positive. But next time, if we like the specials according to their email, we'll call first to make sure they really have it...

• Visited September 2012