“Charming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Saybrook
Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

We arrived early and were greeted warmly and offered coffee/tea and cookies.
When we finished we were guided to the room. We were in the back of the restaurant building which provided us with a separate entrance and parking just outside the door.
The main building was decorated with a classic New England blue and white themed common room , the dining area was a green dream and provides a keurig as well as port wine and cookies. The guest mini fridge is also located here. Yep folks this is a B&B not a chain , so no in room conveniences. Back to the room , it has a whirl pool tub in the bathroom and they provide two scented spa soaps for it ( the sign asks we not use oil products as they clog the filter ) the standard little soaps and a shampoo /conditioner. The room is a short L with the front part containing a day bed , chair , desk and the TV (xfinity) . A cabinet built in with extra blanket etc. The back portion has a 4 poster queen bed and a gel fire place , as well as the main closet. ( yes you read that correctly , no tv from bed ) the free wifi was a little weak toward the inner part of the room, but reliable. I had a laptop set up running mgo movie with no trouble.
I had clear 2-5 bars in every part of this town and LTE everywhere (sprint/virgin/Verizon) tested with three devices. The bed was very comfortable and we both slept better than at home (we own a 6 mos. Old $800 bed at home)
The breakfast included on day one was fresh corn muffins filled with raspberry, fruit , a spice cake. Muffin was ok, cake yummy and fruit ripe and good. Big cup of coffee. My sweetheart woke before me and they gave him one of everything on real China and fresh juice all served on a lovely wooden tray to bring over from the main building. The buildings are only about 30 feet apart.
We did have people above us and I heard them a bit much but that's common many places. The back wall is shared with the restaurant/ice cream parlor and at times a voice could be heard , overall it was similar to an apartment. I found it acceptable but if you are in need of utter cone of silence you may want ear plugs if someone is above you. Highly recommended see yelp for full reviews

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2015

We needed a quiet, romantic getaway and found it at this Inn!

We stayed in the English Cottage room which includes a 2 person jacuzzi tub and gas fireplace.

What you might like to know is that a FANTASTIC restaurant is located directly below this room. The owner Cathy will literally cater your romantic weekend for an extremely reasonable price.

Also, we opted for in room massages (which the Inn arranged) and that was money well worth spending.

This Inn will do everything in their power to make sure your wants and needs are met.

We had breakfast catered on Saturday but Sunday we made it downstairs for the Inn's breakfast. It was delicious and the other guests told us the previous one was as well.

We left very satisfied!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Metuchen, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2015

The manager was absolutely lovely, very helpful, accommodating and sincere and our room was quite charming and adorable. The town is wonderful, with a historic main street atmosphere, many great restaurants, and a short ride to the ocean. Magnificent setting. However, in spite of the "healthy" room rate during the holiday season, the center gathering rooms were unheated, no fire in the fireplace, and the breakfast offered a few baked goods and hard boiled eggs. Not the type of breakfast I anticipated, but I suppose cut-backs are facing everyone these days!

Room Tip: the gambrel room was lovely! single hot tub bath included!
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
DeaconTimothy, Owner at Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 28, 2015
The Deacon Timothy Pratt B&B is a historical 1746 Center Chimney Colonial home. The main common areas do have fireplaces (as well as forced air heat) but a fire is lit every morning during breakfast for the enjoyment of our guests. The parlor fireplace will be lit upon request, in that every guest room as its own fireplace in the privacy of their room.
Our website does mention that weekdays the breakfast is a home-baked goods breakfast and weekends a full three course breakfast (thus the rate difference). Any dietary needs are always taken under consideration.
We thank you for all of the comments so we can better serve you.
Burnsville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at this wonderful bed and breakfast. The rooms are charming as is the whole place. Old Saybrook is a very interesting old town. The weekend breakfasts are well prepared with a delicious variety of foods and the guest are all seated around the large beautifully layed out breakfast table. Patti, Lynn and Betsy made us feel very welcome. We highly recommend this bed and breakfast….. and there is an ice cream parlour next door with wonderful ice creams and Morrocan Food.
There is plenty to see and do within a few miles of the bed and breakfast.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in the suite and the manager was very friendly. The breakfast during the week is very modest. Sweet pastry and some fruit. Not very sustaining for the rest of the day. Apparently they have a full breakfast on the weekends but the room rate is higher. The bathtub was a bit difficult to get in and out. They availability of port and lovely tiny glasses was certainly nice. The outdoor area looked inviting but we were visiting the area and not interested in sitting outside. The Mediterranean restaurant next door was excellent! I'd review it but cannot find the name.

Room Tip: Avoid the suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hitchin, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

This Inn oozes history, and the books in the Library Room, where we stayed, describe some of it, as well as do the numerous artefacts around the shelves, and indeed the whole house and its grounds. This is a charming place, and the large garden with its flower-beds and fountain is fine for sunning, lounging or al fresco eating. We stayed three nights, over a week-end, so we had cooked breakfasts which were very ample, and always with a selection of fruit. The dining table was an experience in itself - fine edged napkins, 1920's cutlery, and flowered porcelain teacups. We didn't need the window A/C unit, we mastered the blinds, the shower and whirlpool bath were fine although the bathroom does need a little maintenance. The bedroom is right next to the breakfast room but we didn't get disturbed by any noise, and we'd recommend this room as a good one in the main house. Thanks to Carole and to Ramsey.

Room Tip: The Library Room - it's in the main house which is a bonus, it's large, and the bed is very...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Princeton, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at the Deacon Pratt House. First, for the positives. Location was very good, walking distance to town. Room was clean although window air conditioner did not cool well. Restaurant and ice cream parlor next door was fantastic. We had dinner there the first night, and on checkout two days later we ordered take out to bring home. Our room was in the restaurant building just behind the restaurant. We did hear some noise, but mostly through our bathroom, so we kept the bathroom door closed and it was not a problem. Our problems were with the innkeeper on Saturday and the breakfasts. When I made the reservation I informed the innkeeper that I was diabetic and on a low carb diet and asked if I could have plain yogurt and berries for breakfast. She said she could accommodate me. What I received on Friday was a bowl of plain yogurt, no berries of any kind. There was a plate of watermelon on the table but that is difficult to put in yogurt. Everything else was pastry and muffins. My friend asked if she could have two hard boiled eggs on Day 2 since a hot breakfast is served on weekends and was told she could not because then everyone would ask for eggs. She was finally served two hard boiled eggs on day 2 (not even peeled) but since she had breakfast later than I did I didn't ask, figuring the answer would be no. Day two had a different innkeeper. The breakfast was bananas foster french toast. I asked the innkeeper if they had sugar free maple syrup. Answer was no. I then asked for plain french toast with a banana on the side. What i received was the french toast with maple syrup on the side that already had the banana mixed in with it, so I couldn't eat it. The inn keeper was also disorganized and not friendly at all. My friend came down 25 minutes after we did and she actually forgot to serve him his breakfast. There was only one small cup of creamer on the table for 16 people. Only full caffeine coffee was served at the table. If you wanted decaf you had to make it yourself from the Keurig machine. When it came to checkout, she confused us with someone else and wanted to charge us more than we owed (we had already paid 50% charged to our credit card when we made the reservation and I had the email to prove it). It took 45 minutes to checkout with all the billing confusion, so getting a later start delayed us even more since traffic was heavy due to Labor Day weekend. There was a comment book in the room so I posted the positives and negatives about our stay. A few hours later while en route home, I received a call from the innkeeper. She was rude and was very angry about my comments in the journal, She insisted that low carb is not diabetic friendly, and that sugar is not a carb. I told her that I have been diabetic for ten years and that yes, sugar, is indeed a high carb. Instead of being apologetic about our experience at breakfast and the confusion with billing at checkout, she was extremely rude. I told her that at this point the arguing was a moot point and she finally hung up on me. I have never been treated like this at a bed and breakfast before, and I have stayed at many of them. My friends who joined us were also very disappointed, and I felt badly because I was the one who picked the inn, After 4 pm when the innkeeper left there was no one around to answer questions, and the whole time there, I never saw the owner. Definitely not a positive experience.

Room Tip: Main house is quieter except for the Library room on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
DeaconTimothy, Manager at Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
The Deacon Timothy Pratt B&B thank you for your comments. We strive to make all of our guests stay a pleasurable experience. When concerns do present themselves we address them in the proper manner to insure that our Bed and Breakfast continues to display the Hospitality and Warmth that one expects when vising our establishment and one that we have been noted for, for the past 20 years.

Been to Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!