“B&B in CT---Deacon Timothy Pratt House” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Saybrook
Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast
325 Main Street, Old Saybrook, CT 06475   |
West Haven, Connecticut
“B&B in CT---Deacon Timothy Pratt House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I recently stayed for one night, as a getaway from stress and madness in my life at this B & B.
The decor is lovely--historic without being stifling, comfortable and homey, not a museum.
My guest room, the Sunrise room, was very welcoming, and had enough of the modern to balance the older aspects to make it livable for those of us in this century, who like the
more romantic aspects of the past. I had the best sleep in the super comfy bed, that I have had in ages, falling asleep to the fire-light, and the sound of the wind outside.
I slept past the breakfast, but was graciously fed a breakfast anyway, or fresh-baked muffin, tea, and granola, fruit and yogurt.
I would suggest this as a getaway from the modern world---although there is plenty to do in the surrounding area, as shops, outlets, antiques, and shore line activities abound. Just staying there overnight recharged my batteries, and left me rested enough to deal with my personal
chaos in my life. I found it to be a worthwhile experience, and would visit again. No, it is not a super elegant, high end place---but the lack of pretension, the sense of comfort and safety, and the overall vibe of old fashioned charm is compensation enough!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bali, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a nice B&B, but not worth the high price. We for $195 we usually get a larger more exciting breakfast. We stayed in the Gambrel room, which is in the back of the house, to get there you have to use these crooked, rickety stairs. All in all, the room was OK, just not worth the price tag, especially for the off season.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs don't get a room in the back of the house.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
DeaconTimothy, Owner at Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
We do apologize if the B&B services do not meet some guests expecations. We do strive to have an atmosphere of a "home away from home" experience. Any suggestions are always welcome when visting us. Our rooms rates do vary from the weekday rate to a weekend rate (listed on our website) and seem be comparable to other Bed and Breakfast's along the shoreline in Connecticut. When lodging in a historic home (1746), one must take into consideration that floors, stairs and doors do creak abit.
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm a townie that sought a room during recent storm and power outage. Fortunately my power was restored sooner than expected so I did not actually stay, BUT.. The owner went out of his way to accomidate me on short notice, and allowed me to cancel without a fee when my power was restored. This personal attention and hospitality is rare today. If you are coming from out of town, this spot is perfect! you are in walking distance to Old Saybrook's Main Street. If you have a bike rack on your car, load up the bikes! This Inn is in the middle of the 'beach loop' a destination for cyclists. you can enjoy a magically sceanic 5, 7 or 10 mile beach loop ride. Enjoy your visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Queens Village, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed for three nights at the Deacon Timothy Pratt House some years ago. We went during late January. The place was quiet with just one other couple and a single woman, who stayed in their smallest room. My husband had booked the Suite, as a Christmas gift to me.

What we liked most was that the charm, decor and detail of the old c. 1746 home has been left mostly intact, while extensive renovations (which you can peruse in the owner's photo albums in the common area) were made to add luxuries like private baths with Jacuzzi for all rooms, television and fireplaces. We went when the James Soda Fountain was closed for renovations and plan to return this year to see what they've done - rooms were added as part of the whole B&B experience.

The breakfast you'll be served, by candlelight (and fireplace, when we stayed) is exquisite. Before I left, I asked the lady who cooked for the recipe. She kindly emailed it to me the day after we got back. If you sneak down late the night before, you'll see someone has carefully written out the morning's goodies on a porcelain dry-erase easel. Tea, hot chocolate and cookies were readily available in the common area.

I agree with the reviewers who stated that security is nonexistent there and (perhaps as paranoid New Yorkers) we also felt odd leaving our belongings with easy access to anyone wandering the place. But maybe the Pratt House remains in another time and place and, so far, no one has claimed to have been robbed while there, so I say: let sleeping dogs lie!

Old Saybrook is old-fashioned and lovely. If you're visiting, I'd recommend the Pratt House for its old world charm and its awesome food! If you're looking for a place with a key-card and concierge, then you're not looking for a Bed & Breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dix Hills, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We recently stayed one night at this lovely bed & breakfast and I was sorry that we couldn't stay longer. The rooms were all nicely done. The house has been maintained and modernized enough so that you were afforded the comforts we expect while maintaining the old world charm. Beth, our hostess, was gracious and accommodating and prepared an amazing breakfast. It is close to the center of Old Saybrook so within walking distance of several restaurants. We had dinner at Aspen. Don't miss it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sunrise room but all the rooms we were able to peek into look as nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I really hate writing negative reviews but as we find TripAdvisor extremely helpful, we felt obligated to warn others about this inn. We stayed at the Deacon recently and while at first it seemed like a charming bed and breakfast, there were some elements that made our stay really unpleasant. Firstly, as other reviewers noted, it is not possible to lock the door to your room (there is a latch from the inside, but nothing to lock it with from the outside). When we raised this concern with the management, we were chided for being "uptight New Yorkers." I'm not even from New York originally and I don't consider locks on doors to be a high-maintenance request. Guests at any hotel or inn should be able to expect that basic level of security and privacy. In addition, the insulation in the walls and floor is terrible and you can hear EVERYTHING going on in the other rooms. I understand that this is an historic landmark, however when the house was converted into an inn, something should have been done about this. Beyond those physical elements, and perhaps most upsetting, was that the innkeeper was extremely rude and unprofessional and this really tainted our stay. I understand that the inn is his home, but he made us feel as if we were intruders in his personal space, which was an awful feeling, especially since we were paying good money to stay there. I won't go into detail about the way he behaved, but suffice to say our encounter with the innkeeper was by far the most uncomfortable and inappropriate one we've had in any place we've stayed. Old Saybrook is a charming town and we'd strongly recommend looking elsewhere if you'd like to have a positive bed and breakfast experience.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed at Deacon Timothy Pratt on Memorial Day weekend. We rented three rooms and all were clean and decorated so lovely. The house is from 1746 so it has a lot of charm and character. Carol served us a delicious breakfast, all homemade. I liked that she was friendly but not in your face. Overall it was a very nice weekend. Great location too.

Room Tip: We stayed in the tree top room - if you don't like stairs don't stay here but otherwise it...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!