“we really enjoy livs” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 72 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Oyster Bar
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Liv's is the brainchild of John Brescio. He is a French Culinary Institute-trained chef who worked at Tavern on the Green and Judson Grill in New York as well as Aux Delices in Greenwich. Liv's is names for the Brescio's young daughter Olivia, a photogenic tyke whose black and white blowups grace the walls. 'The combination of easy comfort and really good food makes Liv's Oyster Bar in Old Saybrook such a find' - The NY Times.
old saybrook, ct
“we really enjoy livs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We like to sit at their tiny bar and order oysters and look into the kitchen. We never go when they are busy because we like the tiny bar, but when we walk past and see that it's slow - we go. Love the tuna pizza. We have eaten here 25-35 times and always great. John, chef/owner is great

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Robert M, General Manager at Liv's Oyster Bar, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for the great review. If you love our oysters don't forget to stop in on Wednesdays for $1.00 oysters or check out our great happy hour.

Milford, Connecticut
“Will return but the first visit was not 5 Star ......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We ventured into this restaurant because we read the online reviews and thought it was worth trying.

Rather than go into a lengthy review, I will just summarize our experience. The food was great. Interesting appetizers, good selection of drinks and wine but the experience fell apart with the entrees.

Our appetizers and salads were served very quickly but the entrees took forever and when they were finally served, my plate was cold. I can only guess what might have happened. The waitress obviously put the order in late and I assume my dish was done before my wife's and it just sat in the kitchen.

I didn't complain because sending it back would have meant my wife would have eaten alone and I would have when mine second plate would arrive.

We will return but it was disappointing since this is a very expensive place to dine.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Robert M, General Manager at Liv's Oyster Bar, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Fred,
I am sorry that you we're disappointed. Please make us aware next time and we can correct the issue. We could have made you something fast so that you could have at least eaten with your wife while you waited. Please email the details of the night to: robert.livs@gmail.com. And always feel free to ask for me when your in the restaurant. Hope to see you soon.
Westbrook, Connecticut
“Dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Went to Liv's last night for our anniversary. I must say we were pretty disappointed. The prices are astronomical for what you get. The cheapest glass of wine on the menu was 22$. We got the fish sliders as an appetizer they where around 15 $ , you get three small little sliders with a tiny piece of fish on each. My wife got the Stonnington scallops you get 4 mid size scallops with a linguini sauce under that's it. I got the crusted yellow fin tuna the piece of tuna steak was fairly small and it was set on a small portion of mashed potato that's it. Each dinner was around 28$ the dinners do NOT include a side a soup or a salad. I do have to say what we did get tasted very good and was nicely prepared. However I didn't feel satisfied when leaving and that I definitely did not get my moneys worth. Disappointing experience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mike,
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed on your special occasion. We would love to have you return to try our new Fall Mneu. I am confused about your comment about glasses of wine. Our wine list includes glasses for $8.00 - $12.00 a glass with several options. Please feel free to contact me via email robert.livs@gmail.com or ask for me at the restaurant anytime. Many thanks
New London, Connecticut
“Spotless”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went on a quiet Wednesday evening for a quick dinner and Livs did not disappoint. The service was fast and friendly. The kitchen and restaurant are spotless and the large attentive staff presents well. All the apps looked so good, we could have ordered all of them. I am a huge stuffed squash blossom fan and not many restaurants serve them. Points for Livs right there. We didn't get any oysters this trip but, they are very popular and fresh here. Our dinners arrived in a timely fashion and were very well executed. Although known for their seafood, the steak entree was excellent. I would definitely recommend.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ross,
Thank you for your review. Stop by soon to try our new Fall Menu and $1.00 Oysters on Wednesday.
Old Lyme, Connecticut
“Great oysters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Can't beat HH at Liv's. Great apps .... Oysters are to die for. Regular menu items are great too. The clam chowder with the little buttermilk bi

• Visited September 2012