“Blech!” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 73 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Middletown, Connecticut
“Blech!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were driving by on a Saturday and decided that Mexican would be good for lunch. Although a little surprised to see Irish decorations in the window, it was near St. Patty's Day. We went inside expecting some decent tacos or burrittos. We almost changed our minds when we heard the Irish music but, unfortunately, decided to stay. The decor was a little odd - somewhat Mexican, but with American things, too, such as a sign for Merrimac Witch Hazel Co., a letter from Lincoln to a woman in Boston, and seats from old tractors hanging on the wall.

The tortilla chips and salsa were yummy, and the service was fast and friendly; however, the noisy, drunken fools at the bars talking about shaving their ____s and the Irish music did not make for a pleasant, Mexican lunchtime atmosphere. My husband ordered an enchalata, and I had a burritto. Both dishes came with dry, overcooked (old?) rice and disgusting beans. The enchalata and burritto were both covered in American cheese. All we could taste was the cheese, but when we removed the cheese, the rest of the meal tasted like BLAND NOTHINGNESS. There was no spice at all to the meal. We will not go again and definitely will warn our friends to stay away.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Connecticut
“Not good at all!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We just ate at the Cuckoo's Nest and had a really awful experience. First there was some stuff - moldy slime floating in the cokes...that several children in our party of 12 ordered. Really disgusting. Easy to show the waitress who replaced them with pink lemonade. Obvious problem...then the glass my daughter was given had a crack on the lip of the glass- sharp. The food was just "not good". Food was not really freshly prepared. Not authentic at all. My salad was okay and so was the nachos but the enchilada, taco, and all the rest including several desserts left a lot to be desired. We had 7 adults and 5 children and really no one was pleased. We will not be back! Oh and no attempt was made to compensate us fro the slime in the cokes or the chipped glass which may have helped a little...but really, the food was just really not good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Farmington, Connecticut
“Brunch only”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I think they have really gone downhill of late. Food is very bland and the place needs a remodel inside. Even the wait staff is lackluster. The only decent thing left is their Sunday brunch, which I would recommend as its selections are fresh. But don't bother eating there any other time.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ivoryton, Connecticut
“Chicken bone burrito?? Really?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Thank goodness I spotted the huge thigh bone in my chicken burrito, otherwise I may have eaten some of the other GROSS chicken parts before I realized it. It looked like the cook (clearly not a chef) chopped up barely cooked chicken legs--skin, ligaments, gristle and filled the tortilla with that. The waitress did notify the manager and we didn't get charged for it, but I do not think I'll be ordering burritos again for a long while, never mind ever going back here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
“Skip it, you might regret eating here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just went for Sunday brunch, which sounded like a great idea. Don't worry, you can choose to order off the menu instead, if you don't like anything in the brunch buffet. Adults are $15.95, kids are $9.50, little kids are free. Was pretty happy with the burritos and tacos and desserts and fresh guacamole, although thought they were too bland and too salty. Immediately after eating, we had headaches and insanely dry mouths and throats, so we deducted that they're using either Adobo, MSG, or both. Such a shame. Although I could use a basket of spice and hot sauce to go with my food there, I can't negotiate on food that makes me feel funny. I guess I'll have to stick with Su Casa in Branford (also bland Mexican) or Valencia Luncheria in Norwalk (spicy Venezuelan) if I want to scratch my South American taste itch.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere