“Overpriced and limited menu” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Overpriced and limited menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I dined here mid December with two other couples. It was our first (and it may be our last) experience. We dined there because of the special they offered (free bottle of wine with dinner) which was very nice (but I certainly would not have paid the $30 for a bottle of wine if I were to order it without the special).

Don't get me wrong, the Ren Hen is a very nice restaurant, but the food selection is very limited (only about 7 -8 items) and the prices on all of them were way too high. The steak dinner was priced in the mid $20s and to be honest, it did not look like they gave you a decent portion size for that price (compared to Mike's in Old Saybrook). We both had the eggplant parm (which costs $18) and although the meal was tasty, the meal portion was about half of what you can get if you dined at the other great Italian restaurants here in Old Saybrook (i,e Fiore's, Luigi's, Sal's etc).

I will say that the service was excellent and our waitress was wonderful! The atmosphere was nice (clean, but very contemporary). It looked like the bar was very nice as well, but we did not try it.

Bottom line, we enjoyed the meal and company, but we were hungry when we left. I would have expected more in the portions (as mentioned there are other great Old Saybrook restaurants that give you more than enough food for the $18 price and you typically need to take home half of the portion).

Bottom line is we are glad we tried it, but I don't think we would head back any time soon as we did not think we got our money's worth. Old Saybrook attracts plenty of people who like to spend their money on eating out and I am sure they will think this restaurant is fantastic. As I said, food was good, just not enough and overpriced (in my opinion).

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Old Saybrook
“Great place! Check it out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Someone told us to make sure we took our visiting friends to the Red Hen....we did and the food, drinks, menu were awesome! We shared some dishes and the kitchen graciously split them for us. A nice hidden treasure in Old Saybrook! Go and enjoy.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut
“Over hyped”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Service very slow; food was definitely 3rd class not even equal to local diner food.
Purchased a coupon but even at the lower price it was still not worth it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Deep River, Connecticut
“This restaurant needs a lot of help to be considered even good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I will start from the beginning and take you through the whole meal. I ordered a margarita on the rocks because I assumed they would want everything they served to be first class. They spoiled my Patron with a margarita mix the same you find at your local liquor store with tons of sugar and lots of artificial flavoring. After that poor start we ordered two orders of fried calamari with peppers. They were very tiny orders compared to what I would usually expect but to make matters much worse puddles of grease laid on the plate after picking up a piece and it all was mushy. On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 1. Our next surprise was bread after we asked for it. 5 slices of cold French bread for 5 people on a plate. The bread is the same kind you get at your local super market that has their own bakery. By now it was obvious that all of the waiters including our own are young kids who don't have a clue how a professional waiter operates. You know you are in trouble when you here "Hi, My name is Mary and I will be taking care of you tonight." What was missing was "I will try to take care of you tonight."

I must admit that the salads that came next were outstanding with fresh ingredients and super vinegarete. The main courses were varied with the cod with lobster bisque very good, the steak very good, the eggplant Parmesan very poor with lots of grease again and a special lamb dish good.

The main point I would like to make here is that this is not an inexpensive restaurant. To have all of the bad stuff happen before the main meal arrived, even though it was good is the feelings have been greatly dampened but all the bad stuff. A good restaurant would be good in ALL aspects of serving a good meal. This place fails in too many areas to be pleasant. I will not go back until I hear they have corrected their many weak areas.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Akron, Ohio
“Crystal is awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Food was ok and the atmosphere was awesome. Waitress/manager named Crystal was the best server I ever had. Great service and easy on the eyes. I will return.

• Visited October 2013