“Fun Place” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 72 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Seafood, Ice Cream
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Let us introduce ourselves! We are The Back Porch Restaurant on the Connecticut River in Old Saybrook. We serve lunch and dinner daily, featuring great food, a full bar, game room, and expansive patio with an incredible water views. At night we light our fire pits and on the weekends, feature live music. So whether you are in the mood for a meal or want to kick back with a drink and enjoy the cool breeze and sunset views, The Back Porch is the place for you!
medway
“Fun Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Fun place for drinks and live music. Indoor or outdoor dining. Seating and firepits to watch a band and outdoor dance floor.

Visited August 2013

harford ct
“depressed waitress :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

my husband and I came here for a casual meal so we werent expecting anything outstanding as far as the food. It is a casual place that looks like alot of fun at night. It overlooks a marina so the location was good in the summer. But.....out waitress looked miserable! She did her job robot style without eye contact or a smile. as a matter of fact most of the waitstaff looked unhappy at waiting tables. I think we got the worst of the lot though. I usually tip well over fifteen percent because I know what a hard job it is and that is how they make a living but management should train them to understand that it is their job to SERVE the public,I can make much better food at home I go out for the treat of being waited on without a scowl!!! The food was mediocre I would go back because of the location and the casual atmosphere but I am not running....

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Guilford, Connecticut
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was reluctant to try this restaurant based on the reviews I read, but decided to give it a try any way. My friend and i both had the lobster rolls. They were really good and chuck full of lobster. I also liked the fact that the butter was served on the side, so you could add whatever amount you wanted. The only downside was the fries were horrible. We sent the first order back and the waitress gladly mad a new batch, but as soon as they start to get cold, they were terrrible. Also, I felt that everything on the menu was pretty pricey. The lobster rolls were $21 each and that was for lunch. Not sure if I'd make this a regular stop, but most likely will be back for another lobster roll at some point.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Clinton, Connecticut, United States
“Not Happy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I along with 5 of our friends went to the Back Porch Saturday evening. We arrived at 5:30 and were told there was a 20 minute wait. We knew ahead of time they didn't take reservations. We told the hostess we would be in the bar area. An hour and 20 minutes later we were told our table was ready, which turned out to be two separate, uneven tables. Also, we asked several times why the wait was so long. My wife found out a party of 9 had been seated before us. When she saw the tables they put together for us she realized this could have been done almost an hour before. Very poor coordination by the hostess and staff. In addition to being seated late one of our orders was not put in. They did get the meal for us and did not charge us. The waitress, Maria, was very good. The food was OK. My meal, in particular, could have been hotter and I felt was overpriced. We were all in agreement we would not return to the Back Porch.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hartford, Connecticut
“Good food, but overpriced and wait staff needs to smile.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Four of us went to the Back Porch yesterday. Ambiance is very cool, overlooking a marina, the CT River / LI Sound, and a house across the way with a giant American flag. The indoor dining area is cute, looks like a beach cottage and would be a nice place to sit in cooler weather. The actual bar itself is just a bar, really nothing special at all in fact it almost doesn't fit in with the indoor seating area or the outdoor patio. There was an acoustic band playing with casual seating and a fire pit, they weren't so loud that the outdoor dining area was uncomfortable. Our portions were very healthily sized - clam strip appetizer (biggest clam strips I've ever seen), huge tomato/mozzarella/basil salad, New England clam chowder, lobster roll, lobster risotto (big enough to split), crab cake salad, and a special of HUGE chunks of lobster claw meat over salad. This restaurant is rather pricey for how casual it is. There are plenty of really good restaurants on the CT shoreline that aren't this expensive and even have slightly better views. But more bothersome than the price was the blank faces of the wait staff. I don't recall (other than the two female bartenders) anyone smiling at any of us. Our waitress herself did not smile once. She wasn't rude but she was by no means friendly. While I'm at it, her shorts were too short and it was just plain tacky to see her iphone shoved in the back pocket. Was she texting between tables? I would not have a problem with this if she had just smiled...S-M-I-L-E. Even the busboys who brought out our food seemed to be decent guys but did not smile, neither did the hostesses. It was not super busy and the weather was perfect, so it can't be blamed on unfavorable conditions. SMILE, people, you are in the service industry. People are your tips! (I certainly hope their attitudes aren't reflective of how they're being treated. If so, that would be the #1 reason why I would not return.) I would probably go back because outdoor dining in CT is so limited due to our short summer season and I want to take advantage of every single minute, and those clam strips were really good. However, I would hope that someone would smile at me....(again, the bartenders were very cool...maybe I'll just pull up a chair and eat there.)

• 4 of 5 stars Food