“Great food and warm and friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Stratford, Connecticut
“Great food and warm and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We were surprised about this gem in Old Saybrook. Top notch menue (Lobster Mashed Potatoes!!!) and some of the warmest and most friendly service we've ever experienced.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

44% Recommend
NORTH HAVEN,CT
“A pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011 via mobile

We happened upon this restaurant coming home from Newport, RI and are glad we did. It has a nice and pleasant decor and seems to be one of those hidden gems. I had the lobster roll which was buttery and delicious and my husband had a perfectly cooked steak. There were quite a few nice selections on the menu so will will definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Clinton, Connecticut
“Average - good food, but terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We had a meal at the Blue Crab on week day evening and walked in with the dining room full. We thought this was a good sign, but wrong! The service was terrible. We were at dinner for 2 hours and had to constantly flag and wave down the server for almost every aspect of of our meal (ordering, refilling drinks, asking for bread, asking for our check, etc, etc). The food was OK at best, but service really turned us off.

Besides the food and service, the atmosphere was terrible. We arrived into what I felt like was a house that was decorated with tchotskies and wallpaper from the 90's. Not somewhere where I would necessarily want to go to enjoy a nice dinner.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stonington, CT
“Food superb, service terrible, atmosphere cheesy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

My fiance and I stopped at the Blue Crab on our way home from a weekend trip. We were hungry and in the mood for a bite. We sat in the bar area so my fiance could catch the game, and waited over 15 minutes just for water and a menu. The barkeep was somewhat busy with about ten locals sitting at the bar, but we were the only other diners in the bar.

Waiting for the bartender to wait on us was excrutiatingly painful. She treated our presence as an interruption and a hassle. We felt almost guilty for being there! The owner(s) were quite noticibly present, but did not once notice us or ask how our dinner was.

The prices were in the $20-30 range and a little over the top for the cheesy atmosphere of the place. The giant blue crabs everywhere and the touristy attire being sold were a little over the top. Walmart-bought halloween decorations were "cute" but not very classy for the prices they were asking!

The food, however, once we received it (another LONG wait), was great. I received a tiny portion of seaweed salad that had a wonderful asian sesame flavor and a sweet crunch that I did not expect. I only wished to get a bit more of it. I also ordered a grilled chicken sandwich that was devine - juicy & wonderfully complemented with the seasoned mayonnaise and roasted red pepper accompanyment. My fiance had a burger (though he mentioned it tasted just as good as any other burger joint, and it was a tad overcooked) with a side of onion rings that were salty, but tasty.

Overall? Wished we stopped somewhere else instead (Cuckoo's Nest down the road perhaps?). It was a terrible waste of good money and time.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Blue Crab Restaurant Westbrooks Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

OK, here is the scoop. If you were driving down Route 1 in Westbrook there is nothing about the exterior of this restaurant that would draw you in. A deserted parking lot, and 70's style glass atrium front mask the magical dining experience that awaits those that are risk takers.
I arrived with my family (5 of us ) for a dinner celebrating my nephews 19th birthday. We were greeted by a very friendly staff and the glow of scented candlles. The dining room is really charming with a field stone fireplace, white cottage style furniture with pink tablecloths and white napkins. An assortment of lovely framed seashore themed paintings by local artists adorned the walls.
We were served a lovely warm pumpkin bread with an apple sage butter as a complimentary starter. It was delicous and if we had not ordered so many appetizers we would have requested more.
The chicken wings are probably the best I have had in any restaurant and I live in Boston and dine out 5 of 7 nights a week.
Marinated in a garlic, herb and cooked to a crispy perfection.
The crab/corn/coconut fritters were equally delicious and surprisingly light despite being deep fried. These were paired with a mango Thai dipping sauce that was very tasty. We also shared the fried calimari with a garlic aioli for dipping.
The appetizers were all a home run and I could not wait for my Cajun style rib eye steak. It was cooked to perfection and tasted like it was charcoal grilled and was crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked medium rare as I requested. It was topped with a jalapeno butter that was wonderful. It was paired with a Shitake mushroom potato cake that was delicious and perfectly cooked and asparagus lightly tossed in butter. My family had the seafood pasta dish with a garlic cream sauce over penne, a shrimp/crab scampi over linguine, and a special Prime Rib. I tried everything and was so impressed with the quality, freshness, and flavors. We ordered 4 desserts and the banana chocolate spring rolls were so insanely good I did not want to share them. We also had a Baileys Irish Cream Creme Brulee, carrot cake and a cheese cake that were all equally excellent. Our waitress was sweet, attentive, and even delivered my nephews dessert with a birthday candle without us requesting it. This restaurant is worth the drive from anywhere for an excellent meal in a lovely room with great service.