“Just Passing Through” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Old Saybrook

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Old Saybrook to your Saves list
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Old Saybrook
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1750 Boston Post Road, Old Saybrook, CT 06475 (Formerly Sandpiper Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 8 hotels in Old Saybrook
East Coast
“Just Passing Through”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We weren't here for the beaches, we were just late-night travelers looking for a place to stay before we continued our journey. The property looked nice. The desk clerk was attentive but was new and didn't know much yet. It was expensive, but then we were taking what we could get, which wound up to be a suite, at 9:30 at night. The bathroom was a bit worn - the ceiling needed some work and the tub had no stopper. I couldn't see that it was ever meant to. Why install a tub that can't be used as a tub? The beds had those polyester, quilted covers that feel sleazy. Pros - a place to sleep. Cons - not good value for the amount we had to spend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

In spite of the good reviews here, and the recommendation to stay here overnight for the wedding attended, I found deplorable conditions in room 210. Mold in the bathroom, rust in the tub which did NOT have any stopper. As a bath taker, I took the precaution of asking if they had bathtubs, to which they replied yes, but then found out they have no means to stop the tub, which creaked,cracked sink, broken and nasty caulking around the tub, shredded carpet at the bathroom door parapet, and no security lock - just the holes!

I've taken photos of everything as proof that this is no baseless complaint!

The polite but ineffectual front desk clerk would NOT give me the email of the manager, just her name and phone number, and the main front door entrance was littered with construction.

The mattress, though good, was short sheeted because the sheet was not fitted, and there was no mattress pad. ALL OF THIS for $190 plus tax!

When I asked to see other rooms, the room next door, room 208 had the smell of smoke, and 220's rug was flooded at the entrance.

I am sending all of this to Stephen Joyce, CEO of Choice Hotels, which owns Econo Lodge,
who obviously made a very poor choice to purchase this unfortunate chain!

Do yourselves a big favor and go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Spent 2 pleasant nights at Econo Lodge in Old Saybrook, Connecticut. Its better priced, large rooms, full of amenities and less noisy though close to everything. Wi-Fi speed was excellent, breakfast was fabulous and friendly front desk.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

This hotel has obviously just been renovated and it shows. Great room, comfortable beds, nice flat screen tv and the whirlpool tub was awesome! The staff were friendly and helpful, even printing directions to a wedding reception for us. It was centrally located in a nice area, close to everything, but still quiet without road noise. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The location and area were great and worked out okay for a family event we attended in Essex. The hotel itself was pretty dumpy. The staff were not friendly. There was mildew growing in every corner of the bathroom- tub, toilet, sink, walls, ceiling. You could actually smell the mildew in the hallway and bedroom. There was rust on the ceiling. The comforter had burn holes in it not too far from what we thought was a blood stain. The smoke detector had no batteries. I guess their $250 in-room smoking charge doesn't go too far with repair. Not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Nice big room. Great for kids! Good breakfast options. Will definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their bigger rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Because it is a dump. I usually use Trip Advisor to review places and post reviews on Yelp (see The Avenue hostel in SLC). Here I'm gonna do both because they advertise as a "recommended hotel on Trip Advisor" and they shouldn't be. Honestly, I'm really not the picky person and this place is that bad.

The place in general is dirty. Sure it is under renovation but if you are staying on the 2nd floor, you won't use the elevator because stairs are quicker and these stairs next to the front desk smell musty and haven't been cleaned in months. Trust me, it wasn't renovation dirty.

Room 205: Our 1st room (205) smelled like smoke(all rooms are non-smoking), the phone didn't work, shower dripped, cracked floor tiles, and quasi exposed carpet tack strips that one of us accidentally stepped on as we moved rooms.

Room 213: Room #2, the heater blows straight on the bed and when it has reached it's temp, cool air blows on you. The fan in the shower didn't work and the steam sets off the fire alarm. I ironed a shirt and I typically don't look at the bottom (why should I have to?) and black junk got on a dress shirt and ruined it. The sink in the tub thankfully drained but not the counter sink. The advertised wifi? Forget about it. My 3mo old HP couldn't get it.

Our experience with management: Overall the people working their were good, helped w/ a bottle opener for a beer, changed our rooms, apologetic with the iron, gave me the regular manager/owner's name. The last guy though when we checked out (we dealt with three different people) didn't say thanks or inquire on our stay or acknowledge our issues (I be he spoke with the earlier guy).

When we told the guy behind the desk about the smoke in the first room, he said thanks and said they they would charge back the previous tenant. Come on. Wouldn't the maid have smelled it when it was made up and now you charge back someone based on what another guest says? That's wrong.

Tushar, the overall manager/maybe owner, only offered a 15% refund on a $80 stay. Give me a break. My shirt was more then that and if we had plans to stay another night, we would've went to a different hotel. He also said if the heater was giving us issues, we should've asked for a 3rd room change, please note this would've been the middle of the night. Really? Three rooms for a 1 night stay?

Seriously, I can understand if things are under renovation. But then don't put guests up in crap rooms and keep the rest of the place clean. My uncle also booked a night here (we were in town for a wedding) and changed rooms his first night. His booking the place first and my wanting to see him(it had been a couple of years) is the only reason I didn't do any research on the place.

My mistake and lesson learned.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
tdadarwala1, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Old Saybrook, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Elstevo,
I would like to first thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our property. It is the feedback from loyal guests like yourself, that can assist us in improving our services.

Secondly, I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with us. We thrive on exceptional customer service and clean comfortable rooms, and it appears that this was not the case for you. We stand out from the rest for a reason, and I can assure you that we are taking the appropriate measures to make sure this does not happen again. I would love the opportunity to make this right and win you back. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that we can work together for a positive resolution.

Again I thank you for your time and valuable feedback.

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Old Saybrook? Share your experiences!