“Busy Bar” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Chestnut Hill
“Busy Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Dinner last night at the Hideaway was a perfect choice for Friday evening, after a long week. Sitting at the bar was great fun; friendly patrons and fun interactions with staff who were busy making drinks and taking food orders. Note: drinks are generously poured! The buffalo chicken wings were wonderful; just the right amount of "hot" and lots of blue cheese dressing. My partner and I shared a pasta main course which was more than ample with leftovers to bring home. Despite the fact that it was graduation night and the restaurant was packed, food came out quickly and hot. Prices are very reasonable. A great neighborhood place. Next time we return I am having either the burger or French dip sandwich; these were being served to customers sitting next to us and looked delicious. We will be back!

• Visited June 2014

Killingworth, Connecticut
“Terrible everything! Bad food...even sent back to the kitchen with no answer back!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I've been in the restaurant business and owned my own business for 30+ years. Went here after spending day out with my kids. One son ordered calamari and when dropped to table I asked for lemons. waiter said he would get them. Second time to table I asked again...still no return. Now with empty drink glasses and waiting for lemons which should have come with the calamari but never did. (my husband went to to bar for them) the waiter was at the bar and said" oh yeah that's what I forgot".
Son ordered deluxe nachos...I tasted one and then had my husband taste the tomatoes on them...They were bad. My son ate the ones without the tomatoes. I had to tell the waiter and gave him a dish of them to give to the kitchen to taste. He brought back to kitchen and still waiting a while our whole belly clams came to us. I was shocked! There were 5 whole belly clams barely breaded and the rest were crumbs! for $18 each plate! I told my husband I had to say something. Waiter returns and I had to open my mouth being in the business. I asked him if the kitchen tasted the tomatoes..he said the cook said nothing but threw the rest away because he"didn't want to take a chance with them!"..Then I asked him how can anyone serve whole belly clams for $18 like this. I would be embarrassed by just the way they looked. They tried to make it look like a nice plate by giving us 100 fries and a small bowl of slaw. Then the waiter takes my plate and didn't offer a manager or any type of replacement. I could not wait to get out of there. Never again! Being in the restaurant business I can allow alot for waiters and cooks...but it was the way everything was handled. Never got an asnwer when I had the cooks taste the tomatoes, only reason about the clams was he said they are all 'preportioned" which is fine but they didn't even look right! I was charged for everything we ordered...even the 2 platters of whole belly clams he took the platters back and threw away! I wonder what other foods are being served past their date. Someone is bound to get sick! I would fire my entire staff if they ran my restaurant like that. Yes I should have asked for a manager ...and I was going to but my husband wanted us to just leave. I should have spoke up...so I'm doing it here. Don't waste your money or time here. Go somewhere else where at least the staff is friendly. Did i mention it was a saturday night...prime time and the dining room had 2 tables! not busy...there's probably a reason for that!

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Newington, Connecticut
“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Had company from Las Vegas and wanted a good Scallop lunch. Was not disappointed. Good waiter and food. One of my "go to" places in Old Lyme.

• Visited May 2014
Old Lyme, Connecticut
“Always good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We go to the Hideaway about once a month to sit at the bar and grab a quick dinner. The servers are always friendly and familiar, and the food is always good. A great local classic!

• Visited February 2014
Essex, Connecticut
“Bad, Bad Night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We had a wonderful day of golf with our son. We wanted to go somewhere close for a bite to eat. Hideaway was close and we thought maybe it would be better than the last time over a year ago. The food I would not serve to my dogs. The waitress was as rude as anyone I have ever met. There is no reason to say any more except I wouldn't go back there again on a bet. Bad, bad food and service.