“Overbilled two times in a row !” 3 of 5 stars

Bee and Thistle Inn and Spa
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   100 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Old Lyme B&B and Inns
Essex, Connecticut
“Overbilled two times in a row !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

My wife and I visited for Valentine's Day dinner. Food was well prepared and service was fine up until the point that entree was served. After the main course arrived our waitress disappeared and we had to make repeated requests to be served the dessert that was listed on the prixe fix menu. When bill finally arrived, three drinks that we had not ordered , had been added to the bill. Waitress at this point was embarassed enough to give us a return gift card for two glasses of wine and two desserts.
We returned in June, had a fine dinner, I handed my credit card and gift card when it was time to pay the bill and three glasses of champagne added to the bill when my wife had ordered only one just moments before from the bartender. Hard not to be cynical when mistakes always break to the house.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

My wife and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Bee and Thistle Inn to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The inn surpassed our expectations in very way possible whether it is the room, staff, restaurant, garden and service. The inn is well run, charming, and clean. Staff is professional and responsive but not intrusive.

We were made to feel most welcome and given a tour of the premises and a run down how everything worked. Our bedroom (#2) while small was great and had a fireplace. Each room at the inn has a different character.

The restaurant staff is excellent and the food and wine was delicious. After eating my wife and I would go for a walk in their sculpture garden. I think its worth mentioning that the strawberry mojitos are made with freshly picked strawberries from their very own garden. Unfortunately, the full bar is only open during dinner time. My wife and I would have liked a cocktail before our spa treatment. The Massage therapists are incredible! We had one of the best couples massages.

The inn is conveniently located next to the beautiful Florence Griswold Museum, historic towns, minutes from the coast, and other sightseeing places.

To the owners, staff, and massage therapists of the Bee and Thistle Inn - Thank you so much for such an enjoyable time, we wish we could have spent a longer time with you.

We will be back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

A beautifully appointed B & B. Wine and chocolates in our room upon arrival. A delicious dinner by the fire with wonderful wait staff worthy of a Michelin rating. Several fireplaces on the premises make for a warm winter night sharing wine by the fire. A magnificent couples massage by Luke & Kara. A gourmet breakfast in bed including fresh scrumptious scones. The Bee & Thistle is located in Old Lyme, Connecticut right off 95 and is easy access from NY. It's next door neighbor, Florence Griswold museum, is worth a short walk and rewarding visit. We look forward to returning to the Bee & Thistle in late spring or early summer to visit the Lieutenant River by kayak.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Conncecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

We spent our 45th anniversary at the Bee and Thistle and it was absolutely wonderful! The room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable, dinner and breakfast were delicious, and and the owner and staff were warm and welcoming. The decor of the inn creates an elegant, homey and romantic atmosphere where one feels like curling up in front of the fire in the main living room with one of the inn's good books. We chose to read the NY Times in front of that crackling fire after breafast on Sunday morning - delightful! An added bonus is its location next to the Florence Griswold Museum which houses an outstanding collection of impressionist art from the Old Lyme school. It was a most enjoyable experience visiting the museum then walking next door to have dinner and spend the night at the Bee and Thistle. We would highly recommend this charming inn.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
chelseafab
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I ate at the bee and thistle inn with my family, a total of 6 people. While my gravlax appetizer was very good, the rest of the meal didn't quite live up to my expectations. My caesar salad was nothing special, and the croutons were so hard I couldn't eat them. My main course of duck was good, but nothing great. It was slightly lacking in flavor and just didn't wow me. After we all had finished our entrees, we had to wait about 45 minutes-1 hour for dessert. Four of us had ordered the blueberry crisp, which was the special dessert for the night and had to be ordered with the appetizers. While my chocolate tort was good, it wasn't worth the wait. However, the owner did come over to us and apologize, giving us our desserts for free. Overall dinner was good, but there are other places with better service and better food for the same price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

I could hot have asked for a better weekend getaway for my wife and I to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary! The staff was cordial, kind and friendly and helpful. The spa treatments were wonderful. The rooms romantic, spacious and clean and quite comfortable. The food and drink was fantastic. Simply put, the food was fantastic. The surrounding museums and shops were fun. The Bee and Thistle Inn is an experience my wife and I will always cherish!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Gateway to the South
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

The Bee and Thistle Inn is a well-appointed and visually-captivating establishment. It contains delicate antiques and comfy furniture, and the grounds are beautifully maintained. But the experience of staying at the Inn made me feel as though I barged into a fancy dinner party unannounced. Almost every night, a group of people (usually not guests) assemble in the living room for cocktails. Sometimes guests are invited to join the fun. Othertimes, we were not.

In general, the hotel is not run as a business, resembling more of a refuge for family members, friends and neighbors to relax at for a night or two. I never knew where anything was located on the property, as nothing was explained to me upon checkimg in. There are no televsions in the rooms, a feature that is not mentioned on the establishment's site. All in all, the Inn was trying very hard to appear sophisticated, and, at the same time, a relaxed retreat from the modern world. Unfortunately, it never achieved either objective to my satisfaction. The staff and innkeepers were lovely, though, just not very professional.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Bee and Thistle Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!