“Resturant Review Only” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Old Lyme B&B and Inns
Killingworth, Connecticut
“Resturant Review Only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Diner on 1/4/13. Staff and service was outstanding. The meal was slightly disappointing from what we had heard about the food quality. I had the tenderloin which was good (the fingerling potatos and mushrooms were excellent). My wife had the short ribs which were the disappointing part of the meal. Not bad at all - just not very good. Every other aspect of our expierence there was very nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Oakdale, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I attended a corporate meeting held here recently where a breakfast was served. The fritatta? was ok, but bacon and sausage were really not very good; admittedly these are tough to present in that setting. However the scones, breads and homemade(?) granola were absolutely excellent . Fresh squeezed oj and really good coffee too. The service from everyone was just outstanding.

The weather has just recently gotten cold in the mornings, so the gas logs were burning in the fireplaces was quite nice. The only issue is the wind that comes in when someone opens the front door. I'm sure they could come up with an appropriate vestibule of some sort for this - that wind must really blast up the main stair.
The bar and adjacent sitting rooms are very quaint. I'm sure it could be a little loud (it a house afterall - how noisy is it in your house if 30 people come over?) but I look forward to coming back at some point.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My wife and I decided to go 'for a drive' without any time frame for travel in mind. We were to join other 'Leaf Peepers' for the fall foilage throughout the New England states. We loaded the car and headed north from PA planning 10-12 days as an estimate. Turned into 18 days with tremendous memories. At the top of the list of memories, was our stay at the Bee and Thistle Inn and Spa in Old Lyme.

We arrived without a reservation and found they had one room left for the evening (must have been for us is all I can think). My wife was met by two ladies who showed her the room, and she immediately informed me that we were staying. Tosh (Natasha) and Christiana were the two ladies that presented the room and who helped to insure that our stay was to be fantastic. They treated us as if we were royalty.

We stayed in Rm 2 on the second floor. The room was amazing. A King bed, fireplace, large bathroom and walk in closet. Outside the room on the second floor was a sitting area where one could relax and perhaps read a book, if so inclined. We made dinner reservations at the Chestnut Grille on the first floor of the Inn went upstairs and cleaned up after the days travels.
Before dinner we decided to stop for a cocktail prior to dinner. Kevin, the bartender, suggested a couple of drinks we had never hadenjoyed before. My wife had a 'Cherry Godiva Martini', and I had a 'Dark and Stormy'. Both were awesome and helped to set the mood for an evening of relaxation and enjoyment. Next we were escorted to our table for an amazing dinner. Our Waitress, Sarah, made sure we were well taken care of throughout the meal. Her charm and attention to us without being overbearing, along with her humor, added to the exquisetness of our dining experience.

After dinner, we enjoyed an after dinner cocktail in the lounge area before calling it a night.

The following morning when we went to breakfast, we found waffles, cereal, fruit, sausage and bacon, sweet rolls, fresh chilled juices, etc, all available in a serve yourself style. What a great way to start the day. One of the things that my wife had mentioned when we checked in was her love for fresh scrambled eggs for brreakfast. Well none were available on the buffet, as waffles were there instead. When Christiana came in to say 'Good Morning' to us over breakfast, she realized that eggs were not on the menu for breakfast, so she went into the kitchen and asked the Chef to make them for us, which he did and we were served exactly as my wife had wanted. This is the kind of service that we received throughout our stay.

Tremendous attention to detail, very romantic, and added to that, beautiful setting on 5 acres of ground with a river out back, seating all over the property to enjoy, flower gardens and artwork to enjoy around the property, and of course the beautiful fall foilage out front. When it came time to check out, a parting gift for the days journey ahead, consisting of apples and bottled water in a fantastic 'Bee and Thistle Inn' bag was available for all guests. What a tremendous find at the beginning of our adventure. We are looking forward to another 'excuse' to travel north, just so we can stay at the Bee and Thistle Inn again. This is a beautiful New England Inn, in a romantic and beautiful setting, and a perfect place for couples of any age to enjoy.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rm 2, a fantastic room. For romance, ambiance, beauty, and/ or relaxation, this is th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Linnea1957, Owner at Bee and Thistle Inn and Spa, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
@ AkFish Guide,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. As the owner, it is my hope that our guests are treated like 'royalty' from the moment you arrive, and I was very proud of our staff upon reading your kind words. I hope that you have many return visits to The Bee and Thistle to make more memories.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

What a lovely place! Our room (#11, 3rd floor, full bath) was gorgeous. The bed was firm and comfortable. The public spaces are lavish and inviting.

Every single person on staff we encountered was wonderful. I have never felt more welcome at any hotel or B&B.

The Chestnut Grille restaurant downstairs was a real pleasure. I can't remember when I've had a better steak. The homemade herb-seasoned salad dressing is unique, and really excellent.

We arrived not long before dinner, and had to leave early the next morning before breakfast was out, but we both really enjoyed our stay.

Worth every penny.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Mu husband took me to the Bee and Thistle Inn for a one night get away to celebrate my birthday. Although our room was small (we booked very last minute) it was still charning and the bed was very comfortable. Our dinner downstairs was outstanding. We also enjoyed after dinner drinks in the living room/parlor of the inn. We were not there for long but the experience was outstanding. Also, the young woman who checked us in and out (cannot recall her name) was a doll. Very sweet and helpful.

We checked out a boi later than usual so we were able to take a look at some of the other rooms and my husband should be calling today to book us in a larger room for a stay in December. Cannot wait. I highly recommed this inn for a couples getaway.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
@ Ladytravel_12,

We hope you and your husband can visit the Bee and Thistle Inn again soon for a get-away. We have a variety of spacious rooms with fireplaces,full baths and amazing views of the property.
Hope to see you soon!
Lenox, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I love and prefer B & B's over hotels and motels anyday. And recently I was invited to stay at the Bee and Thistle Inn and Spa in Old Lyme Connecticuit. I have never been to Old Lyme CT, but this gem of a Inn welcomed me to a place in a town that is rich in elegance, beauty, and history. The entire experience of staying at the Bee and Thistle Inn was no less then exceptional. The grounds speak for themselves-serene, peaceful, natural, and the river allows one to dream. The Inn is Historical with an eclectic Victorian feel. The Inn and property adorn terrific pieces of art and sculptures allong with the decor and comfort of the room. Matching all of this is the gracious hospitality you feel from Innkeepers Linnea and David Rufo and all the staff. Their friendly nature is sincere and real. Nothing pretentious about this elegant and charming Inn.

Room Tip: Any room is wonderful just remember to hold on to your room door and close gently. Otherwise the sp...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was in the area for business and decided to stay at the Bee and Thistle. Normally, I don't stay at B&B's for work travel, but I'm really glad that I did. I arrived late and had no problems getting to my room. The breakfast was a great way to start my work day. I will definitely stay here for future trips to the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Bee and Thistle Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!