“Fine service.....somewhat disappointed with food” 3 of 5 stars

Old Lyme Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   85 Lyme St., Old Lyme, CT 06371   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Old Lyme B&B and Inns
Clearwater, Florida
“Fine service.....somewhat disappointed with food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was our first time dining at the inn. We were impressed with the service given to us by our waiter. However, some of our food choices were disappointing. ?My son and husband enjoyed the sausage and mashed potato dish. Two of us ordered the butternut squash soup with a cream marbling throughout and thought it was very bland and unremarkable. (It reminded me of pureed baby food squash- no added flavoring). It needed seasonings to zip it up and perhaps some croutons. I enjoyed the olive rolls but felt they should have been served warm. The others in our group do not like olives and felt there should have been a variety of bread items offered. I was pleased with the burger and sweet potato fries. Our guest had the steak fillet. While impressed with the texture of the beef, he felt it too was very bland. Hopefully these Trip Advisor "constructive criticism" reviews will be motivators for the innkeepers and their culinary team to plan improvements.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bozrah, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Recently my boyfriend took me to the old lyme inn for my birthday dinner. We did not like the food at all.When we got back home we googled the place and found some reasons why our dinners weren't that great. We wrote to the restaurant impossible producers to see if they could help change things around. Of course there are a lot of places needing help and the show will never get here but it might help them a lot. Molly Derry

Waterford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were all excited to have the Old Lyme Inn Restaurant re-open.We watched for nearly a year the transformation taking place.My wife and I stopped in for a lunch and a dinner.To our dismay hopes of a finer menu were dashed early on.The anticipation of this grand old place warrented a somewhat better selection.Throughly disappointed we let some time go by.Several of us gave it another try to see if the imperfections had been ironed out.Alas! All hope was lost.The experience was just plain awful.The service,food and price was below par.This place has so much potenial but is horribly lacking in every aspect.Coupons and trivia Tuesday's are a silly ploy There are major problems that need to be addressed within the restaurant.I should have heeded advice from others and chosen a better place.There won't be a next time at the Old Lyme Inn Restaurant .Pub atmosphere is not the answer Robert S

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed in one of the newly added rooms. Everything was top quality. What impressed me most was the service and the friendly staff. After two long days of traveling my son needed a quiet night. Their restaurant was full but they accommodated us with an impromptu table in the sitting room, supplied not just the usual kid's placemat-and-crayon but age-appropriate family games and a delicious dinner.
Long story short: I highly recommend this place both for staying overnight and for dining.

Room Tip: We had #4 in the new part of the house. King size bed and air mattress for child. Very quiet, surrou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

New owners, new dining menu, great refurbishments--the perfect get-away. My wife and I loved every minute of our weekend at the Old Lyme Inn. Easy access from the Interstate delivers you into a charming town steeped in American impressionist art history. The Inn is charming, warm and hospitable, with a superbly attentive staff, and great bar. Yes, the food is excellent and all dining rooms were packed during our visit. The locals love it--we spoke with many. A future jazz club in under construction and promises to be a big hit! More rooms will soon be open. I'd love to live there! A+ in our book. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Bathrobes provided
Niantic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The new Inn is very pretty and had a roaring fire pit going outside. Once inside their was live music and a warm fire in th edining room. The food was just as I read in the other reviews. The portions are small. The flavors lacked that wOw factor. The cheddar jalapeno puffs were without any heat or cheesiness. There were only 5 (thats about $2 each and are worthy of maybe 50 cents each). I had the smallest hamburger I think I ever had at a restaurant, especially for $13. The lemon pepardelle was decent, yet not nearly enough pasta and too many mushrooms for $19. The sauce was creamy, but lacked any robust flavor. Also ordered was the Yellowfin Tuna which came in a pretty asian themed box. The rice was perfect, the Tuna was very good, yet a small portion. I think the food is of very high quality (beef from Four MIle River Farm) but the flavors are just very boring. Service.....well, it was slow. Anything requested bread, wine, more water, took a while. All in all, I just don't think it was worthy of a return trip. I was left wanting more.

Waterford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I will tell it straight forward not like a previous blogger suggested "Be a fly on the wall".The Old Lyme Inn has lost its soul.Change is needed.A drastic change.Perhaps one that should not be denied ie sweep out the kitchen staff.We {a local group of friends} twice came in to enjoy an evening of ambiance and good food.These social nights were not to be favorable dining experiences.The menu was boring.The foods were of poor quality with no taste other than bland.Please we implore you,raise your standards.Find someone new in the cooking position who has talent and imagination. Someone who is creative knowing what entices customers.We are saddened by the loss of the Inns esteemed grandeur.The fall from its once lofty stature has been a rapid decline..The added weight of this rapid downward spiral is the appalling acceptance of COUPONS.This act is indicative that the restaurant has stooped to a third rate burger joint.We are not at all enthusiastic about spending money just to spend more on something we didn't want in the first place.Do everyone a favor.Start fresh once again.This time read and comprehend. Charles Gray

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Old Lyme Inn? Share your experiences!