“nothing remarkable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Old Lyme B&B and Inns
Niantic
“nothing remarkable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The new Inn is very pretty and had a roaring fire pit going outside. Once inside their was live music and a warm fire in th edining room. The food was just as I read in the other reviews. The portions are small. The flavors lacked that wOw factor. The cheddar jalapeno puffs were without any heat or cheesiness. There were only 5 (thats about $2 each and are worthy of maybe 50 cents each). I had the smallest hamburger I think I ever had at a restaurant, especially for $13. The lemon pepardelle was decent, yet not nearly enough pasta and too many mushrooms for $19. The sauce was creamy, but lacked any robust flavor. Also ordered was the Yellowfin Tuna which came in a pretty asian themed box. The rice was perfect, the Tuna was very good, yet a small portion. I think the food is of very high quality (beef from Four MIle River Farm) but the flavors are just very boring. Service.....well, it was slow. Anything requested bread, wine, more water, took a while. All in all, I just don't think it was worthy of a return trip. I was left wanting more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Waterford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I will tell it straight forward not like a previous blogger suggested "Be a fly on the wall".The Old Lyme Inn has lost its soul.Change is needed.A drastic change.Perhaps one that should not be denied ie sweep out the kitchen staff.We {a local group of friends} twice came in to enjoy an evening of ambiance and good food.These social nights were not to be favorable dining experiences.The menu was boring.The foods were of poor quality with no taste other than bland.Please we implore you,raise your standards.Find someone new in the cooking position who has talent and imagination. Someone who is creative knowing what entices customers.We are saddened by the loss of the Inns esteemed grandeur.The fall from its once lofty stature has been a rapid decline..The added weight of this rapid downward spiral is the appalling acceptance of COUPONS.This act is indicative that the restaurant has stooped to a third rate burger joint.We are not at all enthusiastic about spending money just to spend more on something we didn't want in the first place.Do everyone a favor.Start fresh once again.This time read and comprehend. Charles Gray

Cheshire, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I met another couple for lunch. It was a nice summer day, so we decided to sit on the outdoor patio. The service was first rate and the food was very good. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience. I would definitely recommend Old Lyme Inn for lunch.

Old Lyme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

A friend and I lunched at the beautifully restored Old Lyme Inn this past Saturday and
were impressed by the high quality of the food from appetizers to desserts and by the service, which was friendly without being familiar and professional without being cool. We ate on the
patio under an old maple tree and had a memorable time. We will most definitely be returning
on a regular basis.

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had a delicious and gracious meal at the Old Lyme Inn. The renovations are beautiful and the food was delicious. Our server, Janet, was ever attentive but not hovering. We requested a quiet room and we were accommodated without question. But the bar looks like a nice place to have a meal and a drink too.

My dining companions and I had the white gazpacho which is made with cukes, grapes and almonds and was sublime, and the regular gazpacho which was great too although a little more spicy that I like. For dinners we had the penne w/ corn and tomato and basil, the salmon over vegetable risotto and the chicken thighs. All plates went back to the kitchen, practically licked clean. The food was not at all fussy, but very flavorful, but not overly indulgent with excess spices and herbs and sauces.

Dessert was Maple Creme Brulee, Peach and Blueberry Crostada (served warm with vanilla ice cream) and a double lemon pie (like a lemon chiffon pie on top of a lemon curd) and all were delicious and fully enjoyed.

I highly recommend The New Old Lyme Inn and look forward to more meals there. Interested to see what the winter menu is going to look like!

For far too long Old Lyme has had mediocre dining options, and I am very glad to

Room Tip: Did not stay at the Inn, but Had a Lovely Dinner!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We just spent two nights at the Old Lyme Inn and had a nice, relaxing time there. The staff was friendly and the rooms were large and lovely -- the furniture and fabrics on the bed and curtains were beautiful. We had children with us and it was nice to have the extra space in the rooms as well as the yard. When the children slept, we were able to be in the library just a few feet away so that we could read and talk instead of being locked up in a small hotel room. I realize some have complained about the food but we didn't eat dinner there as we were visiting family at the beach. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend it as a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lyme, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

The inn has been beautifully restored; however we had a very disappointing meal. My husband and I each ordered different appetizers and entrees, and none were very good. We are locals and plan to give it another try. Perhaps they will work out some of the "kinks" as time goes on.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Lyme Inn? Share your experiences!