“Ok stay” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   165 Shore Road, Old Greenwich, CT 06870   |
philadelphia
“Ok stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed for one night in mid October, as a stopover between NYC and New Hampshire. We liked the big old house and huge parlor. We unwound for a bit then drove into town for dinner. When we came back to our room, there was a terrible odor in the air , just in our room - smelling like old socks or BO. No one was around so we just kept our room door and windows open and managed to eventually air it out...took a good hour. It did not smell anywhere else - the parlor area, or the breakfast room. Walking around to the kitchen area seemed to locate the source. But the door was locked so we could not be sure. We think that someone must have cooked something just before we got there, and the odor drifted to the nearby bedrooms - ours and the one directly against the kitchen wall. Yuk. Anyway....liked the front porch to sit and unwind with some of our wine we brought, before going to dinner. Took a nice stroll down the road to the nice scenic beach area, worth of taking your camera. You can't go very far though, as it's a member's only private area further in, with guards present.
This was our second stay in a 'fake B&B', as the breakfast was not even as good as you get in a Travelodge. This will be the last time we go to a B&B without a full breakfast, as that is the main reason for going to one isn't it? Yeeeaaaah...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy I was happily staying at Cos Cob Inn, but they could not accommodate me for one night. They arranged for me to stay at Harbor House but warned me that it was a luxury hotel and the cost for a single room would be $250.00. I agreed, thinking that I would have a vacation treat in a luxurious room. Was I ever wrong! I might have been satisfied if I had found the same room in an Econo Lodge or Motel 6, but for $250.00, I felt like I'd been made a fool of. The room was very small and there was a ratty woolen blanket on the bed. No extras in a closet - in fact, NO closet. No coffee pot, no place to put toiletries in the bathroom, paper drinking cups on the toilet tank. The whole room included a bed, one night table, one chair and an empty refrigerator. Window overlooked a low roof and the parking lot. It was clean and I was glad to have a warm room, but they should be ashamed to have charged me $250.00 for it ($287.00 with tax)

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel! (P.S. I didn't see a pool, but could not figure out how to delete the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Old Greenwich hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Very nice staff, lovely walks, nice beach nearby.
Breakfast was a big disappointment. We paid 270$ a night and couldn't be more disappointed.
Cereals, old toast and cheap gape jelly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Close to New York City, and if you can beat the traffic, this is a lovely Victorian bed and breakfast near the beach (Long Island Sound) which is a pristine beach. The B and B had wonderful rooms, even without a full length mirror in the room and not enough drinking cups, it's well appointed, clean, and very comfortable - could use more than one chair for sitting.
This is an inexpensive getaway, good restaurants nearby and a the beach! The breakfast is continental and fine, not elaborate. There is a lovely front porch for lounging.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed my time in Old Greenwich and my stay at the Harbor House Inn.
Staff were lovely, welcoming and helpful and the rooms were immaculate and spacious.
Beach is nearby, lovely walks, walking distance to train (easy to navigate to various locations - I did a fair amount of commuting to NYC and Greenwich)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

A kind of odd product for the area. There were stains on the carpet. Light bulbs were burned out in the hall and the bathroom. Towels, sheets and covers were old. The tops did not fit on the disposable coffee cups for the continental breakfast. Milk was at room temperature and the bananas were brown. The staff I ran into were very nice. Interesting location. Took a jog to the park on the point which was gorgeous. In usual Connecticut fashion, I said "Good Morning" while jogging by over a dozen different people and did not get a single response. Par for the course though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
capecod
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

As a solo woman traveler, I stayed here for one night mid-week in the middle of winter. The area is a beautiful, wealthy residential neighborhood next to a large public park by Long Island Sound. Interesting stay it was! I was the only person in a large 3 floor empty Inn. The manager went home at 5pm leaving me instructions on how to let myself in later in the evening when I returned from dinner. The Inn is beautiful, clean and historic with period furnishings in the larger attractive lobby. But boy it was QUIET. I felt vulnerable and set about repairing the slide lock on my room door with a nail file I had! Then, I called the Inn phone number to inquiry about where to find a bottle opener. My cell phone reception was broken up and as I called from the lobby, I could here the number ringing in the empty office off the lobby! But the call was apparently forwarded as a woman who answered told me where to find one in the lobby. She indicated she was "across the street" if I needed anything. OK. Also, for my comfort and feeling of safety, instructions on the operation of the room phone would have helped. Also, the antiquated TV, cable box and remote controls needed instructions as well. It worked once for me in the evening, but I could not get the picture on again later! Oh well. I did have a good, yes, QUIET night's sleep in a very, very clean room and bathroom. I felt bad that all I took from the continental breakfast that was laid out (just for me?!) was a banana and tea. I kindly gave an honest report my feedback to the office manager before leaving at 9am and she offered up a generous discount. It was a fair price overall for an interesting stay with very basic accommodations.

Room Tip: Nice and quiet on the 3rd floor!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Harbor House Inn? Share your experiences!