“No "breakfast" in Bed and Breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

You added Harbor House Inn to your Saves list
Harbor House Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   165 Shore Road, Old Greenwich, CT 06870   |
New York City, New York
“No "breakfast" in Bed and Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Very nice staff, lovely walks, nice beach nearby.
Breakfast was a big disappointment. We paid 270$ a night and couldn't be more disappointed.
Cereals, old toast and cheap gape jelly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Close to New York City, and if you can beat the traffic, this is a lovely Victorian bed and breakfast near the beach (Long Island Sound) which is a pristine beach. The B and B had wonderful rooms, even without a full length mirror in the room and not enough drinking cups, it's well appointed, clean, and very comfortable - could use more than one chair for sitting.
This is an inexpensive getaway, good restaurants nearby and a the beach! The breakfast is continental and fine, not elaborate. There is a lovely front porch for lounging.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Old Greenwich hotels

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed my time in Old Greenwich and my stay at the Harbor House Inn.
Staff were lovely, welcoming and helpful and the rooms were immaculate and spacious.
Beach is nearby, lovely walks, walking distance to train (easy to navigate to various locations - I did a fair amount of commuting to NYC and Greenwich)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

A kind of odd product for the area. There were stains on the carpet. Light bulbs were burned out in the hall and the bathroom. Towels, sheets and covers were old. The tops did not fit on the disposable coffee cups for the continental breakfast. Milk was at room temperature and the bananas were brown. The staff I ran into were very nice. Interesting location. Took a jog to the park on the point which was gorgeous. In usual Connecticut fashion, I said "Good Morning" while jogging by over a dozen different people and did not get a single response. Par for the course though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
capecod
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

As a solo woman traveler, I stayed here for one night mid-week in the middle of winter. The area is a beautiful, wealthy residential neighborhood next to a large public park by Long Island Sound. Interesting stay it was! I was the only person in a large 3 floor empty Inn. The manager went home at 5pm leaving me instructions on how to let myself in later in the evening when I returned from dinner. The Inn is beautiful, clean and historic with period furnishings in the larger attractive lobby. But boy it was QUIET. I felt vulnerable and set about repairing the slide lock on my room door with a nail file I had! Then, I called the Inn phone number to inquiry about where to find a bottle opener. My cell phone reception was broken up and as I called from the lobby, I could here the number ringing in the empty office off the lobby! But the call was apparently forwarded as a woman who answered told me where to find one in the lobby. She indicated she was "across the street" if I needed anything. OK. Also, for my comfort and feeling of safety, instructions on the operation of the room phone would have helped. Also, the antiquated TV, cable box and remote controls needed instructions as well. It worked once for me in the evening, but I could not get the picture on again later! Oh well. I did have a good, yes, QUIET night's sleep in a very, very clean room and bathroom. I felt bad that all I took from the continental breakfast that was laid out (just for me?!) was a banana and tea. I kindly gave an honest report my feedback to the office manager before leaving at 9am and she offered up a generous discount. It was a fair price overall for an interesting stay with very basic accommodations.

Room Tip: Nice and quiet on the 3rd floor!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Upon my arrival, we were greeted very warmly and were personally shown to our room. We were also offered extra towels if we wanted to go sit on the sand at the nearby beach. The room had a mini fridge and a little seating area and felt cozy. I think because there was enough vacancy, they gave us a nice roomy corner room on the 2nd floor. I stayed here in the beginning of October. It was a cool day that turned into a crisp evening, so I was surprised that the A/C was on when we entered the room at around 7pm. When I tried to open the windows I had some trouble. I ended up opening a few but some only half way. It's an old house so none of the windows had screens, which concerned me only because of safety reasons (ie: too easily accessible to strangers). But fortunately, it seemed like a safe area and being on the second floor, I felt okay. The only two things that bothered me was the shower and the door to the room. The shower was a narrow stand up. And because the shower head was not adjustable, the water kept hitting the inside hard enough to create leaking on the outside that began to puddle on the floor. The door, to the room had about a 3" gap at the bottom of it, which, I guess if it was a full house, would have made me uncomfortable. Overall, I was happy with my decision to stay there. The B&B is set in a beautiful neighborhood within walking distance of the beach area. It's perfect for exploring during the nice weather.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

While visiting our friends in Greenwich, me and my family decided to stay in Harbor House despite the reviews we read. I can't agree more with some of the comments mentioned by previous guests.
Location is great, a nice stroll from the beach. Unfortunately apart from that I can't think of anything else I would rate that well.
I preferred paying extra for a breakfast in the local coffee shop. Several times overheard arguments coming from the room next to us (the wall must have been really thin). Not to mention a general renovation wouldn't do this place a harm. All this for almost $200 (that was discounted rate)... I will do more of a research next time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Harbor House Inn? Share your experiences!