“Enjoyed our Holiday Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Old Greenwich
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Poughkeepsie, NY
“Enjoyed our Holiday Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at the Greenwich Hyatt Regency over Christmas vacation. It's fairly convenient to New York City, well discounted for the holidays and offers a nice alternative to staying in Westchester. The rooms were very comfortable and well appointed. We didn't eat at the restaurants in the hotel we choose to have breakfast in very nearby downtown Greenwich instead. They did offer free coffee in front of the hotel's one bank of elevators which was a nice touch. The indoor atrium is fun for kids to see and walk around. Parking is not included and the self parking lot is in back of the hotel. Checking in and out of the hotel was easy. Since there's only one bank of elevators in the hotel be prepared for a long walk to and from your room unless you ask for one near the elevators. We will definitely return next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: rooms on the 2nd floor not next to, but not too far from the elevators should give you the optimal l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melanie K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear G3G,

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor! It is always a pleasure to know that our guests are able to spend relaxing holiday vacations with us in Greenwich. We're happy that you enjoyed the complimentary coffee that we serve on every guestroom floor each morning. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Best regards,
Hyatt Regency Greenwich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Kiawah Island, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I traveled north to help our daughter and son-in-law with a kitchen renovation project. We drove some fourteen hours and met with a multitude of challenges during our pre-holiday stay. What went right for us during our one week in Connecticut, occurred by way of the staff at the Hyatt Regency in Greenwich CT, who provided exceptional and responsive service during our time with them. We travel frequently so feel qualified to share these sentiments with you. Our room was large, comfortable and well appointed. The management team were friendly, welcoming and accommodating. The breakfast fare was fresh, varied and delicious. The service provided by the restaurant staff was truly exceptional. I would not hesitate to visit this Hyatt again and would highly recommend this location to all!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melanie K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Downtowngirl85,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback on Trip Advisor! We are happy to know that your stay was so pleasant after a very long drive to Old Greenwich. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests feel well-taken care of and are appreciative of our service standards. We hope to welcome you and your husband back very soon!

Kind regards,
Nassau, New Providence Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were driving from NYC to MA and wanted a stop in between. Having stayed frequently at what used to be the Hayatt Regency Bonaventure in Westin, FL, we expected to find a similar quality in the Greenwich Hyatt Regency. Unfortunately, we did not. When we arrived, I requested that a shower cap be delivered to our room, since none was provided. I was told that it would be sent right up. Forty minuytes later when we left for dinner, it had not arrived. Okay, I thought, it will be delievered while we're out. No such luck. I had to call again and explain that I needed the shower cap so I could shower before bed. This time it was delivered as promised.

We slept very well, and then we went to the breakfast buffet, priced at the amazingly high figure of $27. The Hyatt Regency Bonaventure's buffet was $15, so we experienced some sticker shock but said, "Oh well, it's Greenwich." Then we discovered that the bacon was burned, the only fresh fruits offered were oranges and apples, and the egg white omelet we ordered came with egg yolks.

Then, imagine our annoyance when we found that our bill included a charge for the Internet (which it should not have), a charge for the parking (which it should not have), and did not deduct the $25 coupon included in our reservation.

I spoke to the manager, and she was apologetic. She offered us soft drinks and a boxed lunch for our car trip, which was a nice gesture, but that hotel has serious service problems that need to be corrected.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Glad2BDone,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are very disappointed to hear that your recent stay with us did not meet your expecations. It is upsetting to learn that your experience with our breakfast buffet was not up to standards. We hope this stay will not deter you from choosing Hyatt Regency Greenwich again. We would welcome the opportunity to host your accommodations again in the future.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel was in perfect condition and decoration for the Holidays. Everyone was extremely accommodating and everything was a great experience! Room service was great, along with breakfast. Definitely one of the better Hyatts I have been too, great experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jesse K,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you found our hotel and staff to be very accommodating. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us during the holiday season. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

washington d.c.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay over the Christmas holiday visiting family in the area. The location is perfect, the rooms very large and comfortable. Everyone from the staff we encountered greeted us with a smile and a hello. We loved the fresh coffee in the hallway each morning which saves a trip downstairs. The atrium was decorated for Christmas and our room looked over the tree. I highly recommend the 4th floor if you get an atrium room and are a light sleeper. The fitness center is a step up from the usual hotel in this price range...free weights, several cardio machines, balls, body bars, etc. Overall, a terrific stay and would highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear travel2much_10,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. It's great to hear that you had such a plesant stay with us in December during the holiday season. We're happy that you enjoyed our holiday decoartions, our Stay Fit @ Hyatt Fitness Center, and our complimentary fresh coffee and tea on the guestroom floors. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Hollywood, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I can't help but muse over what type of clientele the Hyatt Regency Greenwich is vying for or whether they actually believe that they have food that is a cut above the rest...yes this is a review about food, because although the rooms are very well furnished, the internet connectivity decent, and the gym (a temporary one at that) somewhat sufficient, I can't fathom how eggs and bacon constitutes a justification for charging $25 for a buffet or how a basic dish like raviolis could cost over $25. Maybe if this was the Park Hyatt in Paris or Singapore...not Greenwich/Stamford, Connecticut (I wonder if they charge the same in Bangkok, since the food there is in fact, cheaper). No, there was no shrimp or prime rib in the buffet.

This is the first Hyatt I've stayed at in a long time, so maybe these prices are standard, but outside of the reality distortion field of the people who set these prices, you'll easily find much cheaper fare at competing hotels and at the main thoroughfare of Stamford (tapas at Barcelona's Bar and Wine, Moroccan at Fez, etc.) that will more fully satiate your stomach for much less. Had the food been priced $10 lower ($15 for buffet and the ravioli), I may have felt more compelled to give an additional star.

Oh yeah, I forget to mention, I signed up for the Hyatt challenge so I'm technically a Diamond member for the duration of my stay. This means that I get a discount of 10% off...a $25 buffet. At the Hilton you get a full-service buffet for free with Gold status. Ah, but there's the regency club, which serves a breakfast comprised of...bagels and cold cuts...woohoo! Man, those eggs and sausage links from the Marriott Concierge Club room sure sound tasty...

Room Tip: Rooms either face the atrium or outside. Either way, the views (either of neighbors or a Greenwich...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Melanie K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Joshua W.,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed our rooms and temporary fitness center during your recent stay. We are very sorry to hear that our buffet breakfast did not meet your expectations. We are also disappointed that you did not enjoy your complimentary access to our Regency Club Lounge with your Diamond Status. We hope your recent stay will not deter you from choosing Hyatt again the next time you are in the Stamford or Greenwich area.
If you wish to discuss your stay further, please contact me at the email address below.

Kind regards,

Melanie Kondor
Business Travel Sales
melanie.kondor@hyatt.com
Irvington, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I often feel that the true measure of quality and excellence is not how you do when everything goes well but how you do when there are mistakes. By that measure, the Hyatt regency Greenwich still has a lot to learn.

I am a Hyatt Gold Passport member and have been for probably 20 years. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich for one night on October 19, 2012. I live 15 miles away but we were attending a wine tasting in Greenwich and decided that it was better to stay locally rather than drive after tasting. We checked in late and pretty much fell asleep right away. The room was very nice, the bed comfortable. In the morning, when I was picking up the clothes we had left on the chair, I was quite surprised to find a large used condom draped across the arm of the couch. I could see how it might be missed - the couch is in the corner and I am sure the housekeeping checklist does not say "Check couch for used condoms". Needless to say, we kept well away from that corner of the room.

After breakfast, we checked out. The young woman at the front desk asked about our stay. I said it had been very nice, except... I mentioned about the condom and she was horrified. I even showed her a photo I took of it. She said she would mention it to the manager. I did not demand a free room although it would have been a reasonable request. Given the magnitude of the mess-up, I figured I would get a call from the manager apologizing. Nothing. Silence. Finally I got the usual automated survey request a week later. After filling it out honestly, I got a one paragraph email form the Front Office Manager apologizing for the mistake and saying "I was truly disappointed to learn the previous guest left a condom on the couch and housekeeping had not removed it when the cleaned the room and that the front desk did not do anything about it when you mentioned it at checkout. I assure you that your concerns will be addressed with the appropriate departments in an effort to improve the level of service moving forward..." A nice gesture but too little, too late.

No matter what, mistakes happen. It was the lack of a meaningful response I found shocking, not the condom. I have been staying in Hyatt-caliber hotels 10-15 times/year for the last 20 years, and this is clearly the grossest thing I have ever found in my room. A 1-paragraph email apology that I had to beg for says very clearly to me, "We really don't care whether you ever come back." There will probably be a one paragraph response to this review saying "We apologize...", but generic web responses are pretty useless.

When I do the wine tasting next year, I will find some place that appreciates my business more. And I thought this industry was focused on customer service...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Greenwich? Share your experiences!