“Terrific stay and great value!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Old Greenwich
washington d.c.
“Terrific stay and great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay over the Christmas holiday visiting family in the area. The location is perfect, the rooms very large and comfortable. Everyone from the staff we encountered greeted us with a smile and a hello. We loved the fresh coffee in the hallway each morning which saves a trip downstairs. The atrium was decorated for Christmas and our room looked over the tree. I highly recommend the 4th floor if you get an atrium room and are a light sleeper. The fitness center is a step up from the usual hotel in this price range...free weights, several cardio machines, balls, body bars, etc. Overall, a terrific stay and would highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melanie K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear travel2much_10,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. It's great to hear that you had such a plesant stay with us in December during the holiday season. We're happy that you enjoyed our holiday decoartions, our Stay Fit @ Hyatt Fitness Center, and our complimentary fresh coffee and tea on the guestroom floors. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Hollywood, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I can't help but muse over what type of clientele the Hyatt Regency Greenwich is vying for or whether they actually believe that they have food that is a cut above the rest...yes this is a review about food, because although the rooms are very well furnished, the internet connectivity decent, and the gym (a temporary one at that) somewhat sufficient, I can't fathom how eggs and bacon constitutes a justification for charging $25 for a buffet or how a basic dish like raviolis could cost over $25. Maybe if this was the Park Hyatt in Paris or Singapore...not Greenwich/Stamford, Connecticut (I wonder if they charge the same in Bangkok, since the food there is in fact, cheaper). No, there was no shrimp or prime rib in the buffet.

This is the first Hyatt I've stayed at in a long time, so maybe these prices are standard, but outside of the reality distortion field of the people who set these prices, you'll easily find much cheaper fare at competing hotels and at the main thoroughfare of Stamford (tapas at Barcelona's Bar and Wine, Moroccan at Fez, etc.) that will more fully satiate your stomach for much less. Had the food been priced $10 lower ($15 for buffet and the ravioli), I may have felt more compelled to give an additional star.

Oh yeah, I forget to mention, I signed up for the Hyatt challenge so I'm technically a Diamond member for the duration of my stay. This means that I get a discount of 10% off...a $25 buffet. At the Hilton you get a full-service buffet for free with Gold status. Ah, but there's the regency club, which serves a breakfast comprised of...bagels and cold cuts...woohoo! Man, those eggs and sausage links from the Marriott Concierge Club room sure sound tasty...

Room Tip: Rooms either face the atrium or outside. Either way, the views (either of neighbors or a Greenwich...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Melanie K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Joshua W.,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed our rooms and temporary fitness center during your recent stay. We are very sorry to hear that our buffet breakfast did not meet your expectations. We are also disappointed that you did not enjoy your complimentary access to our Regency Club Lounge with your Diamond Status. We hope your recent stay will not deter you from choosing Hyatt again the next time you are in the Stamford or Greenwich area.
If you wish to discuss your stay further, please contact me at the email address below.

Kind regards,

Melanie Kondor
Business Travel Sales
melanie.kondor@hyatt.com
Irvington, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I often feel that the true measure of quality and excellence is not how you do when everything goes well but how you do when there are mistakes. By that measure, the Hyatt regency Greenwich still has a lot to learn.

I am a Hyatt Gold Passport member and have been for probably 20 years. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich for one night on October 19, 2012. I live 15 miles away but we were attending a wine tasting in Greenwich and decided that it was better to stay locally rather than drive after tasting. We checked in late and pretty much fell asleep right away. The room was very nice, the bed comfortable. In the morning, when I was picking up the clothes we had left on the chair, I was quite surprised to find a large used condom draped across the arm of the couch. I could see how it might be missed - the couch is in the corner and I am sure the housekeeping checklist does not say "Check couch for used condoms". Needless to say, we kept well away from that corner of the room.

After breakfast, we checked out. The young woman at the front desk asked about our stay. I said it had been very nice, except... I mentioned about the condom and she was horrified. I even showed her a photo I took of it. She said she would mention it to the manager. I did not demand a free room although it would have been a reasonable request. Given the magnitude of the mess-up, I figured I would get a call from the manager apologizing. Nothing. Silence. Finally I got the usual automated survey request a week later. After filling it out honestly, I got a one paragraph email form the Front Office Manager apologizing for the mistake and saying "I was truly disappointed to learn the previous guest left a condom on the couch and housekeeping had not removed it when the cleaned the room and that the front desk did not do anything about it when you mentioned it at checkout. I assure you that your concerns will be addressed with the appropriate departments in an effort to improve the level of service moving forward..." A nice gesture but too little, too late.

No matter what, mistakes happen. It was the lack of a meaningful response I found shocking, not the condom. I have been staying in Hyatt-caliber hotels 10-15 times/year for the last 20 years, and this is clearly the grossest thing I have ever found in my room. A 1-paragraph email apology that I had to beg for says very clearly to me, "We really don't care whether you ever come back." There will probably be a one paragraph response to this review saying "We apologize...", but generic web responses are pretty useless.

When I do the wine tasting next year, I will find some place that appreciates my business more. And I thought this industry was focused on customer service...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here while visiting family locally. Our check-in was very friendly and swift and the desk clerk made us feel genuinely welcome. Entering the hotel, the lobby lead into a beautiful atrium which formed an interior courtyard. On reaching the room, however, we discovered a pervasive musty smell.I called the front desk and housekeeping came to freshen the room while we went to dinner. While it did smell better, the mustiness lingered. Our room was facing the atrium, which, due to numerous conferences, was busy and made for extra noise. A room facing the outside might be quieter. The room itself was spacious and clean but had outdated brown carpeting. Bathroom was small but clean, there was a tub but not really big enough for soaking. Shower curtain also had a musty smell. In terms of the food, I found the service was prompt and of high quality but the breakfast (the one meal we dined in for) was only average. With respect to fitness facilities, I found the indoor pool too small for laps but it would be perfect for children. If you can get a room at one of their lower rates ($80's) this hotel is certainly worth it but for the more expensive rates I would say less so.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melanie K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Medidate,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you and your husband had a nice stay with us when visiting family. We are so sorry that our renovated guestrooms did not meet your expectations of our hotel. We hope that you will choose Hyatt Regency Greenwich the next time you are visiting family in the area.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We chose this place based on its photos and location and we were very happy with our choice. This hotel is very beautiful. The Christmas decorations were perfect. Its a 5 min drive to the train station, where you can take a 40 min express ride into Grand Central Terminal. We really wanted to stay in the heart of the city but its just so expensive, we felt staying at a nice hotel and taking the train in at a fraction of the cost was a better idea and it was. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PhillipRivers,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us this month. It is always delightful to hear that our guests take advantage of our great prices and close proximity to New York City. We're also glad to hear that you liked our festive holiday decorations! The next time you find yourself in the Stamford or Greenwich area, or when you next visit NYC, we hope you will choose Hyatt Regency Greenwich again.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel and very well managed. Regardless if it is for business, pleasure or any other purposes, it is a perfect choice. I have stayed there many times. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bed is very comfortable. The breakfast is a classy brunch style event. The staff is professional and friendly. The location is in a very nice area and close to NYC and other Tri-State destinations. It often has great prices. Stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SeaChane,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor! We are delighted to hear that you are a frequent guest of ours and that you find our hotel so attractive and pleasant. It is always nice to know that our guests can enjoy our close proximity to NYC, our friendly and professional staff, and our delicious dining options.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Kind regards,
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Had a long and hard day. Met at the front desk with a warm smile.
Room is typical Hyatt, neat and modern. Bed is comfortable.
Coffee is free but in a central area, not the room. Not as convenient but tastes better.
Overall, friendly and attentive service, nice updated decor. Clean and neat.
Service at restaurant was also very good.

Stayed December 2012
Dear fastfreddy53,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and were welcomed comfortably after a long day. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Hyatt Regency Greenwich

Been to Hyatt Regency Greenwich? Share your experiences!