“Great Place, Nice Attentive People, Hard Working and Caring” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Norwich Hotel

You added The Norwich Hotel to your Saves list
The Norwich Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   275 Otrobando Avenue, Norwich, CT 06360 (Formerly Norwich Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
new york
“Great Place, Nice Attentive People, Hard Working and Caring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

The people that work at the hotel was wonderful. They are just great. The rooms were very clean. I rate this place 5 stars for value. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
glastonbury, ct
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

this hotel was awful. the room smelled like someone had smoked cigarettes in it for decades. they refused to help us in any way. i am not sure what was worse the room or the service. i wrote an email to the GM after our stay and never even received a reply.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sedona, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We elected to stay at the Comfort Suites because of the terrible weather and a favorable rate. Our room was probably the largest room we have had in all the times we have stayed there. Great check-in experience. The hotel was quite empty so that should have been good. It was except for three college students who at 3:15 AM decided to camp out on our floor and "chat." After two calls downstairs, I finally opened the door (much to my husband's chagrin) and told them to either get in their rooms or go out into the stairwell. They apologized profusely and said they didn't think anyone was on our floor. Guess I should have opened that door 35 minutes sooner, but you never know. This was really the only down side to our stay. The room actually looked pretty newly remodeled, but they have been remodeling for a couple years now, the beds were fantastic, everything was clean, nice towels. Even the breakfast was very good. so no other complaints. However, know that this hotel is a prime spot for groups so keep that in mind when you book, so sometimes it can be noisy, but great location, close to Mohegan Sun and the highways. It is usually a good value for the price, though.

• Liked — the great beds
  • Disliked — can be noisy, sometimes your room is not too good
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

We stayed at the Comfort Suited for my wife's birthday. The hotel itself is in a great location and easy to get to. The amenities within the hotel are also great. That being said, you should prepare for the following.

If you take the shuttle to Mohegan, you must sign up early. A lot of people tried to take it but it was full. Make sure you reserve it immediately, especially if you are there on a weekend.

The breakfast is combination continental/hot. Very nice bonus in the morning.

The hotel bar is small, which I like. The don't serve food so if you want to eat, either get take out or find another place. For drinks, we were very happy.

Pool - hot tub - sauna were all nice.

Upon check in, we found there to be no hot water in our rooms, This was disappointing as we wanted to shower before hitting the casino. I did but it wasn't easy. It should be noted that the hotel did fix the water upon our return.

When we went to bed, we tried to turn the heater on but it started to smoke and there was no maintenance staff on at that hour so we tried to sleep in the cold.

We might have been able to but the rooms upstairs were having some kind of party and were so loud that we could hear them through the ceiling. At 2:00 in the morning, we tried to sleep through it. We made our first call to the front desk at 3:00. Four calls later at 5:00 in the morning, the noise finally stopped. I was most disappointed that it took 3 hours to have this resolved. We could not be moved to another room as it was sold out. It should not have taken the front desk this long to resolve the issue.

When we wanted to discuss this problem with a manager, we were directed to the general manager's voice mail. Just like other reviews, we left a message but never had a call returned. Should a problem like this occur, if the front desk can't take care of the problem the first time around, I'm going to call the police myself.

• Liked — Location, shuttle service, hotel bar, breakfast
  • Disliked — Lack of customer service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

We just stayed at this hotel two nights ago, and I still have not gotten over how many things were wrong! I wish I had read the reviews prior to booking...shame on me.

I will say, that once renovations are complete, I am sure this will be a lovely place to stay, and that the staff seemed to be pleasant and helpful.

My boyfriend travels for work and we did not pay for our room, as he used his points, however that does not excuse the fact that the room we received had so many problems. We had the presidential suite , which had a wonderful layout, and was huge! And again, once fully renovated I am sure will be lovely. But, in its current state, this room is not ready to be rented out.

My first discovery (and sign that we should have asked to be moved) was the bathroom was filthy...the floor had what turned out to be paint from the ceiling all over the place, and on the back of the door, with actual sneaker imprints in it. There was some sort of stain on the counter, and a clump of toothpaste or soap on the sink handle. The heater/fan light did not have a lightbulb in it either. The toilet never stopped running! We also had the sign with instructions on how to operate the coffee pot, however there was no coffee pot to be found!

In this huge room(s) we have two TV's, three remotes, and one trashcan (that was in the bathroom)...go figure!

On top of this, our door did not lock, only the security latch, not the bottom lock...there was dirty rags under the kitchen sink cabinet and when we went to use the hot tub....big clumps of hair came out of the jets...making that just a waste of gallons of water!

We did complain when checking out, only to be told that we had to tell the manager, and we have called and left a message with the manager, but have not heard back from him. I just hope this hotel gets their act together after renovations, as it does have great potential.

Bed was big and comfy, design and layout of room was fantastic, and the breakfast was very nice.

• Liked — Room design
  • Disliked — Cleanliness or lack of
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

I stayed at Comfort Suites in Norwich,CT late July for my sister's bachelorette party. We picked it because of the great rate and the proximity to Mohegan Sun Casino. I wanted to stay at Mohegan,but a few of the party participants were complaining about Mohegan's prices....lol.
Amber assisted me with check-in,and was very courteous. The rooms were spacious and provded enough room for a group of crazy bachelorettes before and after the casion. The hotel was recently remodeled and still had a nice"new carpet smell" in the hallway. Shuttle to Mohegan Sun was reliable,Lee the driver was such a nice fellow! Breakfast was great as well. No complains here.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Topeka, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

After reviewing the pictures and reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to stay at the Comfortable Suites...

I went there for a busines meeting with a colleague and there was a big difference in the quality of our rooms. My bed was in desperate need of replacement and was quite low to the ground, while hers was normal and comfortable. Both rooms were clean though. The hallways were musty smelling and it was quite obvious that they were in the midst of remodeling.

The pictures online showed a beautiful pool and hot tub...however the hot tub was closed and the pool water was a murky green color. To top it off, there were what appeared to be furballs floating on the water.

We decided to skip the pool and just grab a bite to eat and a couple of drinks....only to find out that what we thought was a bar & restaurant was a bar only.

The continental breakfast also offered hot food, including eggs and waffles, which was a pleasant surprise.

Hopefully after all of their remodeling is complete all rooms will be equally comfortable, but I would prefer to stay in a place that offers food and has a clean pool.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed & Pool f
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Norwich Hotel? Share your experiences!