“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is the second Marriott courtyard we have stayed at this trip. Once again very good. Staff very friendly, rooms comfortable and clean. Not noisy at all. Swimming pool and fitness centre good. bistro food and snack bar have all you need to keep you going. Good local information.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Given the low rate we had for our room, we had low expectations. But this hotel did well in exceeding most of them. The highlights were the very quiet rooms (the AC probably muted the noise), the comfortable beds, and the great coffee area downstairs (starbuck brews).

The downside was the excessive use of room deodorizer in the room and elevator. In fact, when we asked the maid to forego the use of deodorizer in our room (because of husbands asthma), she took it one step further and left our door open to aerate the room. Unfortunately, our door stayed open for several hours before we noticed it, upon our return. Luckily nothing was taken (we had phones and tablets in plain view).

The location is really close to the Mohegan Sun, but a bit far from everything else (beach, Mystic, etc) so if you stay here, you probably will do a fair bit of driving. And as for driving, neither our GPS (Tom Tom) nor Google recognized the proper exit for the hotel (exit 82). Instead they make you continue to the next exit and loop back.

The staff at the front desk and coffee shop are very friendly and happy to help.
All in all it was a good stay. Just don't ask the maids to do anything different. And if you have asthma, then best to stay away.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed there one night on our way from Cape Cod to NYC. We felt that the beds did not meet the Courtyard expectation. Both queen beds in the room were very uncomfortable. The rest of the room was fine but nothing special. We could also hear a humming noise all night that sounded like an electrical transformer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
WHGGuestService, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Norwich, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us as well as sharing your feedback. I am truly sorry to read that our beds didn't meet your expectations. I greatly appreciate this feedback and will look into the items you noted in this review. Comments and feedback from TripAdvisor members help us to evaluate how to best enhance our property and make improvements. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we will see you again in Norwich.

Alan Miller
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Norwich for three nights. I needed a few days away from the hustle and noise of New York City. Norwich provided the environment I needed.

Pros:
• Hotel staff was friendly, hotel lobby was clean.
• Standard room - contained 2 queen beds.
• On the lower level contained a Jacuzzi and Indoor swimming pool, maximum depth 5 feet.
• Across the street from the parking lot - gas station and just a minute away from Friendly’s Restaurant down the street.
• Used a coupon from hotel coupons formerly called room saver - $79 a night.
• Breakfast not included but available on site at a small cost.
• 5 minutes from a small shopping area (supermarket, Dress Barn etc)
• 10 Minutes from the Mohegan Sun
• 30 Minutes from Fox Woods
• 30 Minutes from Essex Steam Train and Dinner Train (I 95 S)
• 30-40 minutes away from Mystic village and aquarium. (I 95 N)
• 40 minutes from Tanger outlets and Clinton crossing. (I 95 S)

Cons:
• I only had one complaint – Housekeeping. When I walked into the bathroom there was a ball of hair on the back wall of the shower. I spent three nights and when I checked out the ball of hair was still there. I did not bring it to the attention of house keeping since I wanted to see whether it would ever be cleaned. Alas it was not. There was dust on the top of the toilet tank for all three nights. (I would have given four stars if not for housekeeping) When I checked out I told the receptionist about the ball of hair. Otherwise the beds were made daily and there were fresh towels provided daily.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
surfinginflorida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The desk clerk was super friendly and efficient. The lobby was beautiful. After reading the previous reviews I was a little surprised when we walked in the room because the room appeared to be nice. But after a closer inspection, I have to agree with previous reviewers – it is a little dated; especially in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable; the window AC unit was on so the room was comfortable, and we slept well. Hotel cleanliness is super important to me, and because of the yucky grout between the pink tiles in the bathroom and a big stain on the carpet, I didn’t feel comfortable walking on the floors barefoot. The hotel fit our needs of a room for a night; however, besides the lobby and the fantastic service, it didn’t “wow” us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Springfield MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed here for a bachelorette party. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. There is a free shuttle service that brings you to and from the casino which we used and was perfect. The only negative about this hotel is that the rooms are very old and need updating. The lobby has been updated and is a nice place to hangout but the rooms lack the same feel. Overall a great value and I would recommend if you're going to the casinos!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Barrington, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very nice modern lobby. All the needed business technologies can be found here.

Food service in the lobby is very slow during the morning rush but it is good quality.

Rooms are dated but clean & comfortable.

The Prime Restaurant & Bar is right next door and is a very good steak house.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Norwich? Share your experiences!