“Fish and Burgers” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hamburgers, Seafood, Ice Cream, Hot Dogs, Chicken Wings
Putnam, Connecticut
“Fish and Burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I went to this restaurant and absolutely loved it. It is covered, outdoor dining so will probably be closing for the colder weather. My daughter and I had the burgers with an order of large fries to share. They were cooked to perfection and the fries were crispy and so tasty! My husband had the fried fish and fries... The fish was cooked just right and not over cooked like so many other places do! I will definitely go back to this place the next time I'm in town!!!

• Visited September 2013

“Beyond Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Buddy's Dugout a couple of times now, I always have the Kracken,it's a hot dog wrapped in bacon!!!!!! How can u go wrong??? Today though I went with seafood, the fisherman's platter, whoever came up with the idea for this dish and who cooked it are geniuses. The fisherman's platter gives a little bit of everything, shrimp, sea scollops, haddock and whole bellies , on top of crispy golden brown fries and a side of coleslaw,OMG!!!!! Everything was breaded and cooked to perfection, when I picked up my dish my mouth started watering it look so good. The portions weren't skimpy either, and for what you got it was very reasonably priced. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, it's all around extraordinary place! The new owners this year know how to run a successful restaurant, Go down an check it out!!!!!!!

• Visited August 2013
Bozrah, Connecticut
“Not just burgers & dogs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Happy with everything we ordered! We'll be back again soon to work our way down the rest of the menu!

• Visited August 2013
Meriden, CT
“Repeat Visit to Buddy's Dugout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I made my 1st visit to Buddy's Dugout on Saturday July 27th, after numerous attempts in the past two years. It turns out it was a good news, bad news search for what I thought was a roadside hot dog joint, which it may have been at one time. Being unfamiliar with the area, they are located just off a main road, as well as I-395, but not clearly visible driving by, only their signs. I new it existed, but didn't know the name, until last year when I used Google, but it was never open when we drove by. I recently found their Facebook website and hours, and the stars finally aligned. I guess the best news is there are new owners, who have spiffed up the place, upgraded the menu, and are making plans for a long stay. With an impressive resume in the food business, the partner I have spoken to outlined plans which should restore and improve a business that seemed to have fallen on hard times.

REVIEW: I was with my daughter on my 1st trip, and we went for burgers and dogs. Buddy's has an attractive list of suggested hamburgers and hot dogs, and I chose a Chicago Dog and a Kraut Dog, and was not disappointed. The Nathan brand dogs they serve are my favorite size, as they are not the foot longs, but a bit smaller allowing for two different toppings. My daughter loved her large size burger and fries, and we went home following a trip to the Mohegan Sun Casino, well fed and happy.

Today's rating is based on my return visit on August 1st, again on our way to a WNBA basketball game at the Mohegan Arena, where I was able to sample some new items. I found their fried whole belly clams to be outstanding in my clam roll, very tasting with just the right amount of breading, fried to perfection. I couldn't pass up another hot dog, this time it was the chili dog. My wife went with her favorite, taking a tip from my daughter and loved her burger, cooked to perfection, along with an ample supply of crispy fries. She left with an ice cream in hand, which hit the spot.

As I left wishing Tom good luck with their new business, I targeted some items to consider for my next visit, likely next week. Note we're 45 minutes from home, but often plan our trip around our dinner or post game meal, typically at the casino or another roadside stand on the way. Buddy's is new and very convenient for our purposes. Menu items that have attracted us include clam fritters, fried pickles, finger licken kicken chicken, and their homemade clam chowder. They are proud to serve "made in the store" items, and we can't wait to try more.

Note Buddy's has outdoor service only, but a large, covered awning with picnic tables under and outside of the canopy, a very clean and comfortable setting, even in the light rain falling. If I could improve one thing once they are really settled in for the long term, it would be to improve on the current signage. It appears well marked once you know it's there, but speaking from experience, it took me a few drive bys before we found it shielded by a large gas station, and one sign actually partially blocked by some trees that could be trimmed, or the sign raised. They could really use a large, overhead neon sign which I'm sure is quite costly, but a couple of well placed smaller signs could attract increased drive-in, spur of the moment customers.

• Visited July 2013