“5 out of 6 say excellent food. The 6th never got to eat” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 97 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Mexican
New York City, New York
“5 out of 6 say excellent food. The 6th never got to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I were in Norwich visiting his friends (2 adults, 2 kids) and we went for Mexican food at Mi Casa.

The interior is very basic, which is fine. They have excellent tortilla chips (homemade) and salsa they give you free at the table. The waitress was nice but service was very slow. I had to ask for a glass of water 3 times over 30 minutes before it came.

Everyone really enjoyed their meal and said it was excellent except me. I never got to try mine. I am a vegan who is lactose intolerant. I ordered a vegetarian burrito and asked for no cheese or sour cream. When it arrived it had cheese all melted over it. They took it back to redo it. By the time I got the replacement everyone was already finished their meal and lo and behold it came with sour cream all over it. I wasn't going to make everyone wait for them to prepare a new one for me and then wait for me to eat so I just didn't eat dinner. They packed up the second one with the sour cream to go and I gave it to our friends for them to take home. They did not charge for it.

Perhaps next time we visit I will get to try the excellent food I heard about.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Norwich, Connecticut, United States
“Mexican comfort food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Authentic Mexican food at very reasonable prices. Staff is very friendly. If you expect chain Mexican food you will be disappointed. Everything here is fresh and homemade- not out of a can or jar. Very casual- bring the family

• Visited May 2013
Norwich, Connecticut
“Tasty, Authentic, Home-style, Mexican Food - Don't Miss It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I grew up in New Mexico, and, Mexican food has been my favorite since I can remember. So .... over the last 40 or so years, I have eaten at hundreds of Mexican restaurants. Although there are many types of Mexican restaurants, my favorite is the type that serves good, old fashioned Mexican home cooking. This is exactly what you will find at Mi Casa. The food is just like you would be served as a guest in someone's home in Mexico. It is not 'glitzy' and it is not what I would call 'fine dining'.
They make their own home-style tortilla chips and salsas (all very good). The rice that comes with most meals is delicious; once again, it is authentic home-style. The beans are little runny, but, then again, that is how you'd get it at someone's home. I had enchiladas suizas. They were excellent. My wife had a burrito, and, it was excellent too. My wife's favorite was the Passion fruit, mango margarita. It was frozen, smooth, sweet, and tasty. I had a frozen mango margarita; which was also very good.
The restaurant itself is very similar to hundreds of Mexican restaurants all over the world. Nice and clean and relatively simple décor. This family operated (and I would guess family owned) restaurant has friendly, speedy, and accurate service.
We visited on a Friday night, and, almost every table was full. I am so happy that we now have a Mexican restaurant here in Norwich that serves outstanding, home-cooked, authentic food at a very reasonable price!!

• Visited May 2013
Ledyard, Connecticut
“BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN CONNECTICUT HANDS DOWN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I worked in the U.S Embassy in Mexico for a year. Boy, how much I missed Mexican food and couldn't find no where that tasted like 100% authentic Mexican food in Connecticut...until I ATE AT MI CASA MEXICAN RESTAURANT. WOW, Amazing mexican food and its real 100% authentic. Tacos are the best.. SO DELICIOUS!!!. IM GOING THERE AGAIN WITH THE FAMILY!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pomfret Center, Connecticut
“The Real (Mexican) Deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Fantastic Mexican food. Reasonable prices, generous portions, and a great plate presentation to boot! They also have a full bar. The ambiance isn't much, but I'd rather have great food and poor ambiance than the opposite.

• Visited March 2013