“Don't go here the villas are awful we came and left after seeing 2 units and after driving 3 hours. The place needs a severe ove” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Spa at Norwich Inn

Save Saved
You added The Spa at Norwich Inn to your Saves list
The Spa at Norwich Inn
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   607 West Thames Street, Norwich, CT 06360   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Do not stay in the villas. My friend and I drove over three hours and ended up leaving. The first villa was under construction on the outside and the inside had very strong unpleasant fumes from the varnish and paint. The next villa that they showed us smelled like rotten food or a dead animal. They should not have offered either of these accommodations. The gentleman at the reception desk refunded our deposit and said that he was sorry that he couldn't offer us a room in the main inn perhaps those accommodations are nicer. I had stayed here several times before but several years ago. It is too bad that they haven't kept the place up. For $350 a night you should have a nice room.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Meriden, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have been to this spa 6 times over the last handful of years, including in August of 2013. I see a lot of good reviews here, but a few bad ones. It has been about 8 years since I stayed in the Inn, but I can say that, when I did, it was delightful.

As far as the spa, I have been to many, and this one is first rate. From the minute you drive up and park your car, there is a little pond outside with flowers and outdoor seating. The lobby is adorable, with a piano and the pub right there. They recently renovated, so the main area near the juice bar has been redecorated. It looks very nice. I had frozen yogurt and a smoothie at the juice bar. Both were fantastic, and the young lady who waited on me could not have been nicer or more helpful.

If you haven't been there a bunch of times, everyone who comes to the spa gets a tour. There is a nice indoor heated pool.. many of the treatment rooms are off of this area. There used to be a fence around the pool, but they have removed that. It looks even nicer now. There are plants, nice areas to sit, and skylights throoughout.

There is a phenomenal gym (way nicer than any hotel gym, it has top of the line cardio, weight, and stretching equipment, tvs, headphones, water, free weights, and a trainer there in case you want help or personal training. Everything is clean. There is also a studio for fitness classes. I have never taken one. They also do water aerobics in the pool.

There are several outdoor areas. One is more of a deck off of the pool area, with lounge chairs, chairs and tables with umbrellas. The other is more of a garden, with a variety of spots to sit in the shade and sun. This is a very nicely landscaped area.

There is also a relaxation room. No other spa I have been to has one like this. There are these extremely comfy lounge chairs with blankets, it is dark and quiet, and there is spa music. It is fantastic.

The locker room itself-you are offered a robe and sandals when you arrive, and they are yours to use for the day. The spa is open till 9 pm so if you have a lot of treatments, you can enjoy the facilities after. There is a jacuzzi, which is a decent size and is alwyas clean. There is a skylight above it. It is heaven. There is a steam room and a sauna, and washcloths in ice water to cool off with when you come out.
The showers are nice, with a changing area outside of each one, and complimentary shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner. There is a decent vanity area with complimentary lotion, hair products, everything you can think of! It is all clean, all the time. There are constantly employees tidying up, replacing towels, etc.

On this trip, I had a body polish. They have you lie under a vichy (sp?) shower, with a towel covering your private areas, and they exfoliate you, wash you off, and then put a nice heavy lotion on you that smells heavenly. Is is all very professional and comfortable. I highly recommend this. I also had an expres facial, which was fantastic. I have had massages other times I have visited as well. I would not say the pedicure is anything beyond a normal pedicure, not that there is anything wrong with it, I just dont think any pedicure is worth $65 or more.

I chose to have lunch at Ascot's Pub becuase I was alone, but I was allowed to order from their menu or the Kensingson's (Restaurant) menu. You can eat in either location in your robe, and I did. My waitress was very nice. They give out these free bagel chips with some kind of delicious spread. I had a scallop salad, which was fantastic. Calorie information is provided (good or bad) for everything on the menu. I can say from previous trips that Kensington's is also very nice for meals, and if the weather is nice, they will seat you outside. It is very nice.

Tips are included in the fee you pay, so you dont have to worry about that or carry any money around, everything can be charged to your final bill.

They charge a fee of something like $22 just to use the spa, but I personally think it is worth it. As the soap and shampoo dispensers say, "Arrive in pieces, leave whole" -or something like that. It is absolutely true. It is a very nice, relaxing place. I have never talked to anyone on the phone or in person who was not extremely helpful and nice.

Room Tip: Rooms are not very big, so there isnt a ton of empty floor space, but I think it is adequate. If y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I'd heard good things about the Inn before- very few of which have proven true.
Upon arrival, I noticed the meticulous landscaping and misleadingly well maintained grounds. They are gorgeous.
The inside of the rooms- both condo and Inn- do not follow suit.

First of all, each room we relocated to (3 total) smelled musty- not unlike Nana's mothballed basement.
Second of all (the zenith of our woes), the first bed we had was hard as a rock. The second bed (which was claimed to be two years old) was not only hard as a rock- it was also concave (a feat never before thought achievable). The third bed (smaller than the one we paid for) was softer- however, when we turned down the sheets, we were greeted with a strange stain and a hair- curiously, both brown. When we asked for clean fitted sheets the receptionist informed me with a smug grin that "none of the beds here have fitted sheets." And then proceeded to arrange for a plastic bag of three sheet sets delivered to our room- which also had hair on them.

They were mistaken when they said "free wifi"- what they must have meant was "wifi free." Our computers and phones could not connect to the wifi. The resolution to this problem was "you could always use our business center downstairs...." at 11 o'clock at night.
The doors to each room are scuffed, marked, and chipped. There are almost no electrical outlets either. The rooms were freezing, as the AC was blasting in the empty rooms, and the heat did not work, so there wasn't any way we could resolve that. Just shutting the AC off didn't help.
We were charged an extra $13.00 as a "resort fee" for amenities we could not use (as the pools and such closed shortly after we checked in). This was refunded to us after our 5th complaint.
This is all aside from the fact that the Inn decor is straight out of the 80s. This isn't old world charm, this is decade impairment.
Overall unsatisfactory. We will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2013
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I honestly did not know what to expect due to the mixed reviews! But WOW, was beyond surprised at how wonderful everything was! It was the prettiest, cleanest, loveliest place ever!! I am really perplexed as to how anyone could give this place a bad review. The food was excellent (never had fresher salads in my life!) the service was great (very attentive and willing to go the extra mile!) the decor was lovely and pretty and again, very clean (this is what impressed me the most! Our room, the Terrace Suite was immaculate!) The spa was delightful and I enjoyed every treatment to the fullest! From the moment you are welcomed at reception by two of the loveliest young ladies ever (Kelly and Karla!) you know you have arrived at a special place!! If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxing, enjoyable sojourn from the hectic pace of life, this is your go to spot for sure!! What a treat!! Cannot WAIT to return! Please try to ignore some of the less than stellar reviews that have been posted! You'll be doing yourself a huge favor! The Norwich Inn & Spa was the highlight of our summer! Go and enjoy! You won't be sorry!

Room Tip: The Terrace Suite had two bathrooms and a charming terrace to watch the sunset!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel had everything I was looking for on paper for a quick getaway weekend with my husband. I was so disappointed! The room was so outdated and ugly. The first thing we did was take off the floral comforter from 1980. The toilet pipes made noises every 20 minutes. The outdoor deck was filthy with cobwebs. I did not sleep all night from the bathroom noises, from the frogs right outside my room that were insanely noisy and from the alarm clock going off at 5am which I did not set. We paid 350 a night and they charge you 5.50 per person for a small water bottle in your room. Why??? We paid 40 dollars to go to the gym for an okay class. The spa is okay, nothing great. We asked the front desk to have a newspaper delivered to our room Saturday morning since our room was down the hill, she told us to call room service we asked if she can call for us and to no surprise there was no paper. The pool is a disgrace. It is small and surrounded by an ugly fence with help yourself service. Honestly we left after one night because I couldn't wait to get back to the comforts of my own home. I have never written a review before but I felt so ripped off and upset that I wanted to write this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Went for the day. Had a terrific spa treatment. Had a very nice lunch and enjoyed the facilities. I will definitely return. They have a great indoor pool and nice jacuzzi's. Wish the outdoor pool was closer to the spa. Lunch in the main dining room was very good. Relaxation room was comfortable as well. Excellent facial. My husband enjoyed his treatment as well.

Stayed July 2013
Stamford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Magnificent setting, excellent customer service, great price, all around just wonderful experience.
From the moment we got there until the time we left we were delighted with the service, cleanliness, courteousness of everyone we encountered. It's proximity to Mohegan Sun makes it a great place to stay when visiting the casino.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!