“Incredible stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Norwich
New York
“Incredible stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I honestly did not know what to expect due to the mixed reviews! But WOW, was beyond surprised at how wonderful everything was! It was the prettiest, cleanest, loveliest place ever!! I am really perplexed as to how anyone could give this place a bad review. The food was excellent (never had fresher salads in my life!) the service was great (very attentive and willing to go the extra mile!) the decor was lovely and pretty and again, very clean (this is what impressed me the most! Our room, the Terrace Suite was immaculate!) The spa was delightful and I enjoyed every treatment to the fullest! From the moment you are welcomed at reception by two of the loveliest young ladies ever (Kelly and Karla!) you know you have arrived at a special place!! If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxing, enjoyable sojourn from the hectic pace of life, this is your go to spot for sure!! What a treat!! Cannot WAIT to return! Please try to ignore some of the less than stellar reviews that have been posted! You'll be doing yourself a huge favor! The Norwich Inn & Spa was the highlight of our summer! Go and enjoy! You won't be sorry!

Room Tip: The Terrace Suite had two bathrooms and a charming terrace to watch the sunset!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Lawrence, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel had everything I was looking for on paper for a quick getaway weekend with my husband. I was so disappointed! The room was so outdated and ugly. The first thing we did was take off the floral comforter from 1980. The toilet pipes made noises every 20 minutes. The outdoor deck was filthy with cobwebs. I did not sleep all night from the bathroom noises, from the frogs right outside my room that were insanely noisy and from the alarm clock going off at 5am which I did not set. We paid 350 a night and they charge you 5.50 per person for a small water bottle in your room. Why??? We paid 40 dollars to go to the gym for an okay class. The spa is okay, nothing great. We asked the front desk to have a newspaper delivered to our room Saturday morning since our room was down the hill, she told us to call room service we asked if she can call for us and to no surprise there was no paper. The pool is a disgrace. It is small and surrounded by an ugly fence with help yourself service. Honestly we left after one night because I couldn't wait to get back to the comforts of my own home. I have never written a review before but I felt so ripped off and upset that I wanted to write this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Went for the day. Had a terrific spa treatment. Had a very nice lunch and enjoyed the facilities. I will definitely return. They have a great indoor pool and nice jacuzzi's. Wish the outdoor pool was closer to the spa. Lunch in the main dining room was very good. Relaxation room was comfortable as well. Excellent facial. My husband enjoyed his treatment as well.

Stayed July 2013
Stamford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Magnificent setting, excellent customer service, great price, all around just wonderful experience.
From the moment we got there until the time we left we were delighted with the service, cleanliness, courteousness of everyone we encountered. It's proximity to Mohegan Sun makes it a great place to stay when visiting the casino.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My friend treated me to a midweek overnight at the Spa at Norwich Inn. What a lovely surprise and break from our daily routines! I was amazed at how many accommodating staff we met who were helpful in every way -- from our orientation, to candid recommendations on the menus, to helping us find the outdoor pool, jacuzzi and fitness room when we discovered the indoor spa facilities closed at 8 pm. We also discovered that even though checkout time is noon, we were welcome to stay and use all the facilities until 8 pm! We were on a budget so we didn't buy any of the additional services, but honestly, between the steamroom, sauna, pools, quiet room, jacuzzis, lovely locker room amenities, and the ready availability of robed comfort, we didn't need anything else to completely relax. My friend purchased the overnight through Travelzoo. Now I want to see how I can come back with a group of girlfriends. Thank you for such a blissful, rejuvenating experience. Oh, and the food was absolutely fabulous too, including your helpful accommodations of my friend's gluten restrictions.

Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

As someone who works in the hospitality Industry and knows that customer service should be the TOP priority I felt I needed to post the following about my experience at the Spa at Norwich Inn this past weekend.

This was a rescheduled trip from a March girls weekend and we were so excited to relax and spend the day together so we got in the car and drove for 3 hours from New Jersey as the spa came so highly recommended.

We arrived at 1:30 and our spa appointments were scheduled for 2:30. We asked for early check-in, but understand it was a request, not a guarantee. We proceeded to the spa for lunch and our facial apts. One of my friends asked for a juice and the staff replied “Oh man I hate using the juicer but it is already dirty so I guess that’s ok”. The spa treatment was wonderful but following our treatments we wanted to sit and relax and there was not a seat to be found so we dressed and got ready to head to our room – or so we thought.

At 3:40 we were told our room would be ready at the 4:00 check in time. We went to the store to buy a few things as we were really looking forward to relaxing and catching up in the room before we went to dinner. At 4:00pm (the stated check in time) we were told that housekeeping had not cleared the room in the computer and we needed to wait. We asked if we could have the key to the room to sit and we didn’t care if they were cleaning we just wanted to get in and settled. The response was “that is not our policy” but clearly letting people wait more than 60 minutes past check in time is! The rude front of house manager offered to buy us drinks – which I am sure he did only to get me out of his face as he didn’t want to deal with an unhappy customer (and why should he – the 19% tip was already a lock). At 4:30 we asked again and were told they couldn’t get a hold of housekeeping to find out if the room was ready. We asked them to go and find out for themselves and were told that it was really far away – AWESOME response!

Finally at 5:10 we were told our room was ready.

I could go on and on about the additional things that were wrong with this place but I think my point is made. The ONLY redeeming thing about this place was the kind British concierge named Robert.

The Spa at Norwich Inn should be the last place on your list if you want to visit CT.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here for a bachelorette party on a Saturday evening. We were 8 girls all together, and had two rooms. I was looking forward to staying here, reading the positive reviews about this place. We arrived at the hotel about 2PM on Saturday. The front desk held our bags for us, as our room was not ready. We changed into our bathing suits and we were taken by golf cart to the outdoor pool. When we arrived at the pool, I was shocked to see a bunch of old lounge chairs in all different directions on grass and one table with an umbrella. We were all able to get a lounge chair, which was nice. The pool was nothing special, if anything, disappointing. Most of us had spa appointments and I had a blow out at the hair salon. We had to call for a ride back to the main hotel in order to go to the spa. They did come quickly to pick us up.
Spa/Salon
My blow out at the salon was good, however, at the end she tried to charge me $74 for a blow out! Right away, I said no way! I was told it would be $45. She said there was a $25 resort fee. I wasn't sure why I was being charged the extra money when I was not using the spa and said something. With no apology, she took it off the bill and my total was $53. The other girls received massages at the spa. Most of the girls said their massages were good. However, one of the girls booked an appointment for a 50 min. head/back massage. At the end of the massage, the masseuse said it was complete. She was very confused because the masseuse had only massaged her legs and arms. She quickly said something to the spa manager, who apologized and said she could either get 50% off that massage or come back at 8:30AM. She chose the 50% as we did not have time to come back in the morning.
Room
The rooms are VERY visibly dated and need an uplift immediately. As you can see in the pictures, there are stains all over the carpet. There were even stains on the comforter, which is disgusting. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. The shower does flood, even with a towel on the floor. The AC was either freezing cold or burning hot. It was very difficult to control. If you want ice, you need to call for ice, as there are no ice machines around.
When our bill arrived under our door in the morning, I was very confused why each girl in the room received a $5.50 resort fee on our bill. I asked what this was for and my answer was for the two bottles of pint size waters we received and maid service. So for $22 we received only two bottles of water and never had turn down service or any type of maid service in our room. That seems ridiculous to me! There was no valet parking when I arrived, and parked my car on my own, even though there was a sign that said valet parking. The man who works at the desk when you first walk in was interesting. He said some inappropriate comments to my friends and myself as we were walking to the spa and while we were waiting for our car service for dinner. The two individuals who were working at the front desk were pleasant, however, they will answer phone calls in the middle of assisting you and make you wait for several minutes. Our room was on the third floor and there were no elevators to take our luggage upstairs. I had to walk up two flights up stairs and bring my own luggage. Fortunately, I didn't bring that large of a suitcase, since I was only staying one night.
Overall
I was disappointed with my stay the Spa at Norwich Inn and would most likely stay somewhere else. The room was expensive (room was $360) for what it was and definitely needs an uplift.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!