“Not for couples :(” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
New York City, New York
“Not for couples :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I booked a Country Getaway Package on Easter weekend. We were very disappointed, for a number of reasons. First of all, upon reservation, no one mentioned that SPA facilities for men and women would be separate: we wanted to have a nice couple getaway and we ended up having to spend time separate as the only place we could be together was the swimming pool, which was supposed to be warm, but was very cold instead. Second, we booked the dinner for 9pm, to be able to enjoy our SPA day with calm and no rush, but the dinner was average at best, with appetizers that were clearly re-heated and not fresh, and entrée and side that were over-cooked (lobster risotto and saffron risotto in particular). Definitely not worth the steep price we paid. Sent an email to management, received a brief reply after more than 2 weeks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Woolwich, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend to attend a family gathering nearby. We do travel a lot and I try to be fair in my assessments.

The pros-
The inn is located close to the highway and the Mohegan Sun casino. (Less than a mile).
The rooms were quiet; I am picky about noises at night and I had no complaints.
The grounds are nice with flowers starting to come out and the exterior of the inn is very nice. The interior is fairly nice as well but a bit fussy.

The cons-
When I am paying close to $300 per night for a basic queen room, I do have certain expectations. While the room was clean, the carpet was worn and there was some peeling paint on the walls. My biggest problem was little ants. We noticed 4 of them before going out for the day. I left a note for housekeeping to please address the ant issue. We came back and the note was gone, but we found 4 more live ants. I asked the front desk what they could do (the woman was very nice) and she said she would call me on my cell. She called very quickly and said they could come spray our room but we would have to be out of the room for a few hours, so they arranged to do it while we were at dinner. Afterwards, we still found a couple of ants. If there had been more than that, we would have asked for a room change. No one offered any other sort of consideration regarding the ants, which I thought was surprising.
Before we arrived, I had called to ask how late the pub was open, and was told 11 pm. We were coming in late, and decided to wait to eat. We arrived at 10:15 and were told that the pub stopped serving food at 10...would've been nice to know that earlier. I had to grab a bagel from the nearby Dunkin Donuts for dinner.

The martinis in the bar were very good. It is true, there are people in bathrobes walking everywhere, even in the eating areas. As mentioned before, the spa is busy and the pool is small. The number of women vastly outnumbers men, and many of them appear to be on "girls' weekends" and act a bit obnoxious... But just my opinion.

I would stay here again, but I think I would be more assertive next time regarding some of my frustrations.

• Stayed April 2013
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My visit to the Norwich Inn and Spa was with 5 women friends. One of our group had been a couple of times with her husband and had had very good experiences. Our group experience was more mixed. One of our group was more savvy than the rest of us and did not book the getaway package which is not a good value at all. You pay more than $100 for dinner and breakfast. The buffet breakfast is @ $20.00 and there is no way you can spend $80 on dinner because beverages are excluded. Although the staff in Kensington's was very accommodating 5 out of our six dinners were disappointing. The lobster risotto was barely lukewarm and glutinous, the pork chop was tough to the point of being inedible. The salmon was good.
To say that the billing is less than transparent is an understatement. We had each other's meals put on our bills and then deducted even when we ordered separately at the Juice Bar. Even the MBA in our group found it confusing.
Two of our group who were sharing a room were given a room with a dumpster view. When they complained they were told that all the twin bedded rooms had dumpster views (not true).
The place was really bustling. There were at least two weddings the weekend we were there with the attendant disruptions in the lobby. The relaxation room was frequently completely occupied. The pool is a tiny 1 1/2 lane lap pool in the middle of the spa area. When I wanted to swim there were about 10 people sitting with their feet in the pool. Not very inviting. There is a whirlpool in the ladies locker area, but there was visible mold on the outlet. The ladies locker room is more crowded than your local Y with tiny half size lockers. There were more lockers in each alcove than there was room for the users of those lockers to stand. On the plus side, the servers in the restaurant and the technicians in the spa were all great.
The only way I would consider going back would be mid week.
I have traveled quite a bit and I thought that this place was overpriced for what it is.

Room Tip: Avoid twin bedded rooms. They have dumpster views.
NE USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We did not stay at the Norwich Inn - but had dinner at the Kensington restaurant.
The personnel are very nice, helpful and knowledgable. The Inn was pretty, clean and provided a nice presentation. The restaurant menu offerings provided a nice variety although it was not diet nor Spa health conscious focused (which seemd odd).
I thoroughly enjoyed my poached salmon entree. The lobster risotto was excellent.

Glastonbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I think the only way to elicit a response from management is to post a review on TripAdvisor, so here goes. Below is the email I sent to several members of their management team, as well as their online survey. Great spa day, insane noise in our room.

Email:

I am writing in regards to the stay I had at the Norwich Inn and Spa this past weekend.

I spent Saturday night at the hotel with two college friends for our annual weekend together. From the time of our arrival late morning on Saturday, we found the staff to be attentive and helpful. We'd arranged for several spa treatments each--which were fantastic--and took advantage of the wonderful facilities in the spa.

We had a wonderfully relaxing day, which was our goal! We enjoyed tea and scones, the wine tasting and some pretty excellent cocktails at Ascot's Pub before heading out to dinner off-premises. After a terrific dinner, we returned to the hotel to relax in our room, watch a movie, and enjoy our time together.

Imagine our dismay when we discovered that the wedding going on upon our return (around 8:45 pm) was directly under our room--#20. The music was unbelievably loud. So much so, in fact, that we had trouble hearing the tv in our room, even at full volume. When I called the front desk, they responded by saying that "Yeah, those rooms are loud," and "They'll be done at 10." When I expressed frustration that we could not relax in our room as we had planned, the front desk person asked if I wanted him to ask the DJ to turn the music down. This seems like an absurd suggestion--the wedding party had paid for the venue and had every right to enjoy it. That said, it's poor planning at best to put non-wedding guests directly over the wedding venue.

We ignored the deafening music as best we could--but I called the desk again to express my frustration. I asked the desk person to come up to our room so that he could hear just how unbelievable the noise level was. His response? "I am the only one here and can't come up. And I know how loud those rooms are." When I pressed him for some kind of resolution, he offered us vouchers for breakfast the following morning. I conceded, as it was nearing 10pm, and when the bellman delivered the vouchers, he said that "they don't normally put non-wedding guests in these rooms." In an hour and fifteen minutes time, our happy, relaxed feeling had entirely disappeared.

Luckily, the music stopped at ten. At that point, however, we were frustrated and hardly ready for sleep. It seems to me that paying nearly $400 a night for a room would yield some kind of attention to details such as placement of guests during a wedding. While we loved our time at the spa and in the restaurants, we were deeply disappointed by the hotel's carelessness regarding our room assignment. I can't say that any of us would be able to recommend the Norwich Inn and Spa, given how our evening ended.

new york city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My sister-in-law and I looked forward to spending a weekend together, relaxing at this hotel and spa. We booked a 4 night stay, and ended up canceling our last 2 days. We would have left after one night, but stayed because we had spa treatments booked. The spa is actually, wonderful--great practitioners, very experienced. But, the hotel is areal dump.

We stayed what they call a villa, which are sprawled all over the acreage, some so far from the spa, that you have to drive back and forth. Our first night, we had to change rooms twice.
In the first villa suite, the tv remotes didn't work, the safe didn't work, and there were no bathrobes, despite what the website said. A workman had to come in several times, to fix everything, and stayed for at least an hour. Then, later, when we tried to make a fire in the fireplace, the rooms filled up with smoke, despite a printed card on the mantel that explicitly stated "the flue has been opened for your convenience, so feel free to make a fire". Smoke alarms went off, but no one came to help until we called the front desk. The man who came reproached my sister-in-law for lighting a fire without knowing how. Then he moved all our things to another room nearby, but, that room was not good for us because we needed (and specified) a suite where the doors closed between the living and sleeping areas. Then we were moved to a third room, very far away from the spa, where there were doors, but everything was dirty--the upholstery on the living room furniture, the rugs. The rug in front of the fireplace had actual holes in it, where cinders must have burned it. All the furniture looked worn, like from a second hand shop. We needed some food for breakfast and I called the front desk in the evening, to find out if the local supermarket was open late, since this was Easter. He told me emphatically that it would be open until 11. I drove the two miles, only to find that it was closed.

When we lit a fire in the third room, the flue didn't draw very well, so we had to open the door in order to create a better updraft--a sign that the chimney needs to be cleaned.

The second night, when returned to the room, it had not been cleaned by the housekeeping staff.
We called to ask for more wood, and were told we would be charged $7.50!

We had dinner one night in the much touted Kensington restaurant, and found the food to be adequate, but, definitely NOT spa food. Very few choices for those of us on diets. And, the waiter was terrible--intrusive, obnoxious, and, unresponsive.

The extremely nice and competent women in the spa told us they heard a lot of bad stories about the hotel, which is owned by Foxwoods resort.

Pick a different hotel and get a day pass for the spa!

Room Tip: I hear the rooms in the main house are better, but there are no suites.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed overnight for a weekend family get-together and had such a wonderful, relaxing time. The inn is beautifully designed with many windows and little corners to sit and enjoy the natural beauty of the surrounding grounds and the spa was very clean and absolutely refreshing. It is so rare to find a place like this that still maintains an atmosphere of elegance and class. I felt like we had stepped back into the dreamy romanticism of early 20th century America. I have enjoyed this type of place in Europe many times and wondered why it it is just so hard to find in this country. I guess it is just because people here don't appreciate the style, but if you do, you will be glad to find it is still alive here. The staff were incredibly friendly and professional as well. I highly recommend it and hope it doesn't change to become like every other crass Vegas-style techno blaring overpriced excuse for a good time.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!