“mother's day brunch” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
Salem
“mother's day brunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

After going for 7 years to the mother's day brunch, we were so disappointed this year, we will be going elsewhere next year. The price has stayed the same, $39.95, but the quality and variety has gone down. The drinks started at $9.. for approximately 5-6 oz wine and then went up. The cheese bar was eliminated, the dessert choices cut in half and not a single one up to par. The service, even though over 1/3 of the tables were empty, was poor. We waited twenty minutes for drinks, except when it came time for coffee (felt like being rushed to pay our bill and leave). NOT once were our dishes cleared between trips to the buffet...so we cleared our own dishes by putting them on empty tables closeby. We used the same silverware for all courses, including desserts. We asked waiters and bus boys to take our dirty plates away and they just walked by us. We spent over $200 for three people (four drinks total for the three of us) and left very disappointed. BTW...there was an orange peel left on the doorway between where we were sitting and the dining room...poor attention to detail. We do have to compliment the chef for the main courses served...which is why we gave a 2, rather than a 1 for value..it was the service and other things mentioned above that lowered the ratings...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a friend in October 2011 as we were traveling down from Boston. We unfotunatly were only able to stay one night but it was very beautiful. We arrived in the evening and we could see how amazing the grounds were. Everythign was well lit and there were a lot of parking spaces. Check in was simple and the lady was very friendly. The entrance and foyer of this hotel is beautiful very impressice. The room was also very nice a bit on the small side but it was all we needed. Check out was also very quick and again very friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice relaxing stay some place beautiful. I am only sorry I didnt get to experience the spa....but that will be saved for my next trip down. :) No complaints.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for 2 double beds iif not you will recieve a queen. If you want the double they wil...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

What a breathtaking Georgian Inn, with manicured lawns, and the feeling of stepping back in time. Upon entry you feel as though you are transported and enveloped in something special, then you get whisked away by the beautiful spa and the people who greet you. Once we arrived we were given itineraries which we were asked to review, when an impeccably mannered and dressed petite dynamo inquiries why we weren't on a package. When making the reservations for my friends we were undecided on the length of time we would spend their, but once we were their we didn't want to leave. Adjustments were made in a jif and now we could enjoy lunch and the afternoon tea and sconces as well as the wine tasting.

And everything about our day was absolutely lovely, it has been years since my life has allowed me to get away on a fun filled woman's day with my closest friends, and I am now wondering why it took me so long to return, and now with the birthday incentive I am definitely going to make it an annual event if not bi-annually, and the day spa package values cannot be beat. I am so glad the manager made that change at the cost of losing money, but it seemed her best interests for us was not the facility making money but us having the best value. That doesn't not happen in this economy and it was refreshing. Without a doubt I will return and cannot wait until the next time I can, as I have put in my future birthday requests for a gift certificate to your facility.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Over the years we have come to the Norwich inn a few times but this was our last. The rooms are in desperate need of a make over. The walls are paper so you hear everything next door or in the hall. Blankets are from the 70s and bathroom feels like my grandparents house. The spa has 8 relaxation chairs, so if it's bad weather you have no place to relax and read a book. The treatments are great but everything else about the spa leaves you wondering why did I select this spa over the other local ones.

Only nice thing was the staff is very friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlantic City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

A weekend ago, I had a very short stay along with my husband. The main building is charming with lovely landscaping. The staff is friendly. The bell staff went out of their way to let us know they were there for us. We stayed in the Villas in a comfortable unit with convenient parking. The room was in need of some updating but was clean. My husband enjoyed a deep tissue massage. I also had a deep tissue massage but thought it was exceptional. During my short stay, I did not pass any other male guests. My husband did see two other men in the locker room. This did not bother either of us but my point is it appears to be a great get-a-way for groups of girlfriends. It appears they market this Inn as such. Men do not know what they are missing! This is a lovely place to chill and enjoy some time away from the rat race. We will return again.

Room Tip: If you do not want to drive your car back and forth or catch the shuttle, request a room in the main...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My girlfriends and I recently did an overnite and spent the day enjoying the spa. And enjoy we did, we cannot say enough about the quality and care given to us by the staff, from massage to facials, body treatments and more. Most noteworthy was your spa manager, she is absolutley outstanding. Most people only take time to write the negative, but I would like to share the positive. We were checking in along side another group of women, who were less than polite, actually their behavior was appalling. It appeared to be a misbooking and the manager took personal responsibilty for another employee's error, understandably when booking a bunch of people a glitch might occur, and your manager not only rectified it, she was most gracious in the face of those being less than kind. She did this with finesse, and my friends and I wanted to put her in our pocket as she was adorable. Truly she is an asset to your establishment and is a walking billboard of the wonder a facial can do for your skin.

We moved onto the juice bar and the girls there were just as delightful, as were the bloody marys, and the frozen yogurt was scrumptious. We were too lazy to dress for dinner, and your spa manager came to the rescue again with a wonderful suggestion to eat at the italian restaurant next door, and even gave us a coupon for a percentage off. My friends and I cannot wait for our next getaway as I am certain we will not be disappointed, thank you again for the wonderful time.

Room Tip: The villas are the perfect way to be a little loud without the worry of bothering those in the INN.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Villas in a one bedroom condo... very comfortable. Opulent? No. The bathroom was so-so and needed updating. Fireplaces, decks & easy parking all made the location desirable. We were there on a promotion from Travelzoo for $149/night and a $50 Spa credit, so we felt we received our money's worth; however, we heard that the units are usually rented for upwards of $300/night. This price far exceeds the quality.

Able to see the Mohegan Sun casino off in the distance glistening in the sunlight, my husband was in heaven and gambled there while I finished my spa services and the night before. EXCELLENT massage therapists took care of both of us! Burt was fabulous and exorcised a knot from my shoulder which had been plaguing me for 3 days with determination and precision. Conversely, my facial was horrible... layer upon layer of product was slathered on my face with little massage and then 5 minutes of tortuous scalp massage at the end. My hair was so greased up, it stood on end. Fab pedicure, though. We'll return in a few months for another massage for sure.

Room Tip: The Villas sprawl deep into the property. If you don't want to drive to the main building, as f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!