“a nice escape” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
new york
“a nice escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

we decided to do a quick over night during the week and arrived at the norwich inn and spa for some relaxation. we booked for a tuesday stay leaving wednesday. we arrived around noon and the hotel was very quiet. the reservation desk checked us right in and even upgraded us to a suite for less money(it must have been a very slow night) room was very very nice in the main building. we had lunch in the hotel at their resturant, they also have a pub to eat at as well. we booked 2 spa treatments each and they were both amazing. i have been to the spa before and have never had a bad experience. we decided to go over to mohegan sun casino for dinner eventhought the hotel resturant was open. a quick 5 min drive around the corner adn we were there. had a great breakfast before we left the next day. love coming here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
TimKenyon, Guest Relations Manager at The Spa at Norwich Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you so much for being such a loyal guest and sharing your experience. Please let me know if I can ever be of any assistance.
Best,
Tim Kenyon, Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Went to the spa for one night. It was a christmas present from my family. Very nice hotel but disappointed in check in. There was only one person for check in on a holiday weekend. We waited awhile to check in. Our rooms were a nice size with one queen bed on the third floor. WE carried our bags up the stairs and were not even told there was an elevator! One restaurant for breakfast which is overpriced - $3.50 for a cup of coffee! Room service available with extra $3.00 charge for room service?
Staff at spa was excellent and informative. Not many services offered. Gym was adequate. Quiet room was a nice place to rest. Stay elsewhere and go to the spa for you treatments.

Room Tip: Five minute drive to Mohegan Sun for those interested in nightlife
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Please accept my apologies for your experience upon arrival. We pride ourselves on our VIP (seated) check-in and full service concierge & door staff...but we were somehow not displaying that very well when you arrived. I am confident that had you been welcomed properly, and informed of all our property's offerings, you would have received much more value for the price paid.
Feel free to contact us directly with any helpful details as we do hope you will come back again.
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

The Spa at Norwich Inn is the ideal place for a Girls' Getaway weekend. The spa has both invigorating and relaxing offerings, the food is delcious, and there are two casinos within driving distance for night life options.

Room Tip: Call them: they are willing to suggest the best package price-wise and interest-wise
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
East Haddam, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I visited the Norwich Inn and Spa for the first time today as a spa guest. I did not stay in the inn. I have lived in the area my entire life and grew up hearing amazing things about The inn and the spa. I have stayed and had services at numerous high end hotels and spas (including, my favorite, The Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa). I wanted a facial and after looking at the menu and prices for the NI&S I booked an appointment online. I was really pleased with the ease of their online booking services and delighted that the facial was not as expensive as the ones at Red Door.
When I entered the building through the main inn entrance I was surprised by how outdated and aged the main lobby was. As I walked through the building to spa reception I noticed that the facility was in desperate need of an over haul! Not to mention it smelled old and mildewy. I was greeted by a very nice young lady upon checking in who showed me the facilities and informed me that if I wanted to use a robe, slippers, and "spa facilities" (i.e. locker room, meditation room, and pool) I would have to pay an additional $20.00 (there goes my less expensive facial). This annoyed me, as in my previous experience in a spa these things are provided as part of your service. I agreed to pay as I wanted to have a spa experience, and thought it would be worth it. After all this is a highly rated place.
I was given a robe and flip flops and had a sign a waiver stating that if I did not return these items I would be charged $80.00 for the robe and $30.00 for the flip flops. Now I felt like I was in a gym. The locker room was over whelming, confusing and large. There were threatening signs all over the facility about the robe and flip flops, I found this to be tacky. This is supposed to appeal to high end clientele?! The relaxation/meditation room was anything but! As a person concerned with cleanliness I found this room to be scary. The chaise lounge cushions used to be blue but look more brown...the walls and ceiling are painted blue but look as though they haven't been painted in many years. There was a strong smell of chorine because of the pool just outside. Cell phones are frowned upon, however I found the elderly lady snoring loudly much more disturbing.Needless to say I did not spend much more than a few minutes in that room.
My facial started on time and it was excellent. My aesthetician was very good and provided me with a great service. She gave me a sheet of paper with some recommendations that I then took to the "boutique" upon check out. I was disappointed that the "boutique" had very little product and what they did have was just pre packed stuff with a NI&S sticker plopped on it (of course that doesn't stop them from charging $55.00 for a jar of facial moisturizer)! When I asked the women for a certain product that my aesthetician recommended for me she snidely replied "we don't carry that here, she shouldn't have written that down!". This really pissed me off. My aesthetician and I discussed at length a skin condition that she and I both share and she was just providing me with information on a product she had luck with herself, in addition to other products they sell in the spa "boutique".
In closing I would like to say that, for the most part, the staff is lovely. They do not have control over the facility conditions. I will not visit the spa or inn again and I would never recommend it to anyone. I learned my lesson and will stick with Red Door in Mystic.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

To start off 2012, friends and I went for two days to the Spa at Norwich Inn. We rented a villa for the evening where we sat by the fireside(started by the amazing staff) and drank wine and chatted the night away.

The next day we went to the spa. The signature massage was the perfect combination of Swedish and deep tissue. I have some pelvic and lower back pain and the massage relieved both. My cocoa mint facial rejuvenated my tired, dry skin that had been abused by winter cold. The eye brightened treatment refreshed my tired eyes after a bus holiday season.

We had lunch and dinner at Kennsington which was delicious and filling. The blueberry pie martinis from Ascot Pub are worth the drive for those alone.

Can't wait to return in a couple months to celebrate my 40th. An amazing relaxing experience.

• Stayed January 2012
providence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

From the tranquil, country setting to the lovely historic inn, this was a wonderful stay. I spent two nights in December. I stayed in one of the inn rooms, which is located within the same building as all spa areas and treatments. It was very comfy, with no frills, however had a wonderful view. The yoga classes were so helpful, I can't say enough about the very competent instructors. The spa facilities are perfect and include everything, from robes to lotion! Everything is absolutely spotless! My facial was so relaxing and made me look 10 years younger! I was a bit dissatisfied with my manicure, seemed a bit rushed and a tiny bit sloppy. All in all, I cannot wait to return!!

Room Tip: If you are planning to frequent the spa, classes and treatments, stay in the inn as all spa faciliti...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Chappaqua, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My daughter purchased a one night Rejuvenation Package for the two of us as a Christmas gift to me. The staff are very nice and friendly. The Inn was very quiet and only a handful of guests were overnighters. Our room was tired, worn, and in bad shape. All of the furniture was nicked and chipped, the carpeting smelled, and the bathroom looked like the bathroom my husband and I shared in our first apartment in 1983. If you have so many rooms empty, why oh why would you give anyone your worst rooms? Or, was our room their best? Why not upgrade your 10 or 15 guests to your best rooms and make them feel great about your Inn? I will never understand that diss. All of the inn's magazines are either Connecticut Bridal or Connecticut "things to do". Cheap. My daughter could not wait for "Tea & Scones" from 3pm - 4:30. When we arrived at 3:05, we were the only guests and there were no scones, just tea. At 3:15, a waiter came by and nonchalantly said that the scones were coming soon. No apologies. We waited and waited. They finally came at 3:30. Not nice. I walked to the kitchen area of the restaurant just after a yoga class (which was great) hoping for a cup of coffee. They had just put away the complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby, so I figured that the kitchen might have some left over. The hostess at the restaurant said that there was quite a bit left over from the lobby set-up and she'd be happy to give me a cup. She said that she'd be right back with the coffee, cream and the check. I asked her if she was really going to charge me for coffee that was just complimentary. She said that it was complimentary, but not anymore. I told her to forget it. It's little things like that that will make guests not want to come back to a hotel or restaurant. Dinner was great and the food and service were good. The spa is old and they are very set in the ways that they do everything. My pedicure was average and my daughter said that her massage was just OK. I did have a sensational, truly caring facial from Jen and if the whole Inn experience could have been more like Jen and her personality, I would have given it another star. The staff seem to have a set way of doing everything and they cannot accommodate deviating from their ways. I would not go back to this Inn. The place is old, tired and the staff is cheap and inflexible.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
TimKenyon, Guest Relations Manager at The Spa at Norwich Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Excellent customer service mostly consists of a positive attitude and common sense, so it is always very embarrassing to see negative comments such as yours. Your review includes what would appear to be small service issues by themselves, but put together really add up to a big dissappointment on how you were treated as a guest here. Please accept my sincere apologies for those service failures and know that this is not a true reflection of how we value our guests at The Spa @ Norwich Inn.
I will distribute your comments to pertinent staff, along with completed surveys we email to our guests after their visit (that we review each week). If you are open to contacting me directly, I would be happy to discuss the details of your visit and provide you with a complimentary upgrade on your next stay. It would be my pleasure to personally ensure we exceed your expectations.
Best regards,
Tim Kenyon, Director of Hotel Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Mohegan Sun
Holiday Inn Norwich
#2 of 5 in Norwich
3.5 of 5 stars 229 reviews
Courtyard by Marriott Norwich

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!