“Don't stay in the villas” 2 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Special B&B Package $149
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
Carlton, Minnesota
“Don't stay in the villas”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

The villa we stayed in needed to be totally gutted and re-done. It was horrible. For all the luxury of the main building and it's decor, the villa is the complete opposite. From holes in the furniture coverings, to scratched coffee table and dresser, rotting walls in the bathroom, old fashioned televisions (one of which did not work), no plug in the tub drain, bathroom with a tub shower combo which was so tiny you had to back in to walk out, patio windows so dirty you could not see out of them, dirty grout on the tile, rusted out entry doors, and pillows so hard they gave you a sore neck. That being said the food there is very very good, but very very expensive, $42 for breakfast for 2. Stay somewhere else, this place is not worth it.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in the villas.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Arundel, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed during Thanksgiving week. It was a great half way spot for us since we were travelling to NYC. Our only regret is that we didn't have more time to discover all of what this property has to offer. The Villa that we stayed in was absolutely awesome. It was very clean and had everything you needed. The fireplace was a great touch but we couldn't get the fire going. The Front desk and valets were very friendly and we really enjoyed Tim Kenyon who is their Director of Hotel Operations. He was very professional and very personable. We can't wait to return there in the future and will certainly book services in the Spa.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I'm in total agreement with apc829 "Unpleasantly surprised". I too was looking forward to a wonderful weekend getaway - from the photos on the website and all the awards won, I thought I'd be in for a treat. Not so. The villa was not worth the expensive price tag, very ho hum decor and the villa was tiny - bathroom was especially small - you could not sit on the toilet and shut the door. I had a creepy feeling about cleanliness too and chose not to shower there during my stay. Also, the bed frames weren't attached to anything so they banged against the wall and moved around noisily when getting in & out of bed. Other furniture was out-dated - like all decor had been purchased from a Holiday Inn that went out of business. Pillows, sheets & quilts were cheap - better quality on my own bed at home. The villa had two big old TV's - one in the living area, one in the bedroom. Neither remote worked. Would an upgrade to flat screens be too much to ask for at that room rate? I had no use for the fireplace and know that 4 pieces of wood would burn in 10 minutes - wasn't interested in adding $7.50 to the bill for more... I wasn't impressed with having only one small packet of coffee to use in the morning. The only other option was to get in the car and drive up to the main building for free coffee in the reception area. They offer room service, but someone would have to drive a cup of coffee to me at the villa, and that just seemed like too much work. I too ate at Kensington's and was not impressed. The scallops in my dinner were not seared properly. At $33, am I wrong to expect perfection? My breakfast experience was the same as apc829 - $40 bill for a la carte items. Rediculous. My spa experience sealed the deal for me - again, very ho hum decor, the motor in my foot bath was incredibly loud. I asked for coffee and was told tea was complimentary, coffee was $2.00 plus that additonal gratuity they "conveniently" include - my pedicure was $87 total - you'd think they could spring for a complimentary cup of coffee... And I've had better pedicures at the mall - there was nothing extraordinary about the milk & honey pedicure... Also, I'm an avid shopper and found absolutely nothing in the gift shop that I wanted to buy - cheap jewelry, tiny-sized, overpriced clothing - another disappointment. Why not stock some of the glorious hand-crafted items from artisans around CT? Sorry, I really wanted to like this place, but I will not go back or recommend it to others. I've been more pleasantly surprised by rooms at Courtyard Marriott at less than half the price.

Room Tip: Choose the best room at Courtyard by Marriott and you'll be a lot happier.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband treated me to a weekend away for my birthday. We chose to go to The Spa at Norwich Inn after seeing how beautiful it looked on the website. We were booked into a Villa which was $350 a night, pretty steep, but we thought (from looking at the website) it would be worth it. Ohhhhh were we wrong! We walk in and it looked and smelled like an old summer cottage that hadn’t had a window open in 6 months. The décor was tired and dusty, and there were flies flying around! The bed was huge but outfitted with bedding that looked like it belonged in an old dirty roadside motel. Yuck. The towels smelled musty and mildew-y so we didn’t even shower there (we showered at the spa the next day.) The only good thing about the room would be the fireplace. It was an ordinary fireplace, and they provided us with a little pack of wood and a gel fire starter (very cool). Thing is – the fire burnt out pretty quickly and they charged $7.50 for another pack of wood! Now, I don’t know who they think they are charging $7.50 for 4 pieces of wood, but my father in law who chops wood for his fireplace all the time would make a killing if he was able to sell 4 pieces of his wood for $7.50. We had dinner booked at the Kensington Restaurant which was in the main building. All of the décor was tired and convention-hall-ish, just like our room. The food was good, but the service was not great, I think they had too many tables per server. All gratuity was already included so what motivation do the servers have to provide exceptional service? [Funny/ridiculous note: we were looking through the cocktail menu and asked our server what the prices were as they weren’t printed. The answer we were given was ‘Oh, they are all around $10.’ What an unacceptable answer!] The next morning we had booked a couples massage in the Spa. The Spa itself had the same tired décor but had nice amenities. The massage was ok, nothing extraordinary. I get better massages from my local Tui-Na shop, and there I only pay $45 for 60 minutes. Here at the Spa at Norwich Inn it was $95 for 50 minutes, and then they added tax and gratuity so it came to $113 for 50 minutes. I am not going to harp too much on the Spa prices, they are in line for most spas I think. Onto breakfast. We opted to do a-la-carte as we didn’t think we’d get the most out of the $20 buffet. I had a bowl of oatmeal and my husband had a bowl of cold Kellogs cereal, we shared a side of sausage and bacon, and had a coffee each – grand total = $40. We should have gotten the buffet. All in all, the Spa at Norwich Inn was a huge disappointment. MUCH too expensive for what it was (Lodging for 1 night + extra wood pack + Dinner + 2 massages + a lackluster breakfast = $800.) We will not be going back again, and I urge you to seriously re-consider if you plan coming to The Spa at Norwich Inn to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
TimKenyon, Guest Relations Manager at The Spa at Norwich Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
First, let me apologize for such a disappointing visit. Judging from your description, the room condition from a hotel housekeeping perspective was totally unacceptable! Not everyone is comfortable making a "complaint", but from reading your review we would certainly want to know about these issues and address them immediately as we would welcome the opportunity to turn your unpleasant experience to a memorable one. Also, we do not charge for most guest amenities we offer (such as wood), but try to allocate reasonable fees for some additional items. The automatic, fixed service charge was put in place for consistency and guest convenience property-wide. If there is an error, a shortcoming or a charge you feel is undeserved or unreasonable, we would encourage you to bring it to our attention. We will always be happy to adjust the charge and/or accommodate you in any way possible.
Please feel free to contact me at the property directly as I would like to investigate your particular unit and address your other specific concerns.
Tim Kenyon, Director of Hotel Operations
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

My mother, sister and I have made a yearly tradition of visiting the Norwich Inn. If you go there expecting the right things, it is really wonderful. When we go, we stay in a villa. I see a number of negative reviews about the rooms, but this is an old, historic hotel and I imagine that the rooms in the inn would understandably be dated. However, the villas are wonderful and if you go to Norwich willing to spend a bit of money on a spa vacation, they are great and relatively reasonable compared to similar rooms you see elsewhere. Each villa has two double beds, a small but very usable kitchen, a living area with a working fireplace, and a bathroom. The working fireplace is really a fantastic perk during the winter! You can light it yourself, or call down someone from the main hotel to do it for only a tip.

As for the spa, it isn't a place to which I would recommend bringing children. It's not that they wouldn't be accommodated, but come on, a spa where adults are trying to relax is not a good place for youngsters. Better for a girls weekend or romantic getaway. The treatments range depending on which massage therapist you get, but I haven't had a bad experience. I love the seaweed body wrap and the deep tissue massage. My mother swears by their anti-aging facial. The indoor pool is nothing special, but its perfectly nice for laps. They run yoga classes every morning, walks around the grounds, and free wine tastings in the afternoons. The more you take advantage of, the better a time you'll have. I like the relaxation/nap rooms which are dark and warm and peaceful with incredibly comfortable chairs. The facilities might not be comparable to the mandarin oriental, but they are great for hanging around for a few hours during and between treatments.

Also, the location is fun for a spa weekend because if you want some night time entertainment you are only a few minutes away from Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods casinos.

As for the restaurant, ITS AMAZING!! I highly recommend it - great food and great wine with reasonable calorie counts.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the villas!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
New Haven CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was my second visit to this property. This second time was with two girlfriends and we had a blast. Our room was spacious ( a little dark however) The Decor is a tad dated but overall clean and well kept. We have nothing but good things to say about the service...Firstly, Robert who greets you at the door is a delight. He is more than helpful, unfortunately the first night he discovered that our car had a flat tire. His main concern was that we didn't stress about it and arranged for the tire to be changed AT NO COST and informed us that all the other tires had been checked so we might get home safely. I would agree with one other reviewer that service can be a little slow, but come on people you are at a spa!!!! Relax, and enjoy the pace. Secondly, our waiter Steven was great. My lamb was well done instead of medium, he whisked away the plate and replaced it with a perfectly cooked replacement AND DID NOT CHARGE for drinks. We did not have to ask, it just happened (so we didnt stress) Thirdly, I left several thousand dollars worth of diamond rings in my robe after a massage......the locker room attendant chased after me and gave them back.WOW !!! Worth going again just for the service. The spa treatments are a little generic , and the pool somewhat institutional but overall...go, and chilax

Room Tip: Stay in the Inn not the condos
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

This place is a joke. There is no indoor pool that accomodates children. Rooms are tired and gross. Staff did nothing to reconcile our differences.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!