“Annual Girlfriends Getaway - Perfect Again!"” 5 of 5 stars

The Spa at Norwich Inn
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   607 West Thames Street, Norwich, CT 06360   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
Ivoryton, Connecticut
“Annual Girlfriends Getaway - Perfect Again!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

Once again we chose The Spa at Norwich Inn - our multi-generational and income diverse group of Spa divas! We want to feel at home, be treated like celebrities and have great treatments, eat beutiful food and leave feeling like this "investment" has a great pay-off. So, again, from the warm reception of the Inn doorman and front desk, we wound our way through the lobby, a familiar and beautiful path now, down the dramatic circular staircase to the Spa. Another warm greeting, great service - they knew our names! The Spa lobby has been redone and the outdoor furniture and lounges and umbrellad tables for dining are wonderful. The afternoon was spa-tacular, we drifted into relaxed conversations on the lawn lounges before and after treatments and our fitness classes. Oh that massage and facial and final make-up and hair style. Best yet - the outdoor cabanas for massage overlooking the lawns. Great for girlfriends too!.. If you have any questions, ask for Danielle Knerr, the Spa Director. She helped us with one of our "Fragile" friends and customized a stay just for her. The vote is in for our Fall getaway. Their packages include everything. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I went there with my mother and had a fabulous time, every one from check in to check out was spectacular. The Spa was a home away from home, we were greeted with warmth, kindness, and friendliness beyond anything we had ever had. The services we had were amazing given by the most trained professionals, This was my second trip there and we are planning another with my aunts, and grandmother. The Inn was charming the grounds amazing, and we didn't want to leave. We would reccommend this to all any and all our friends and family.

Room Tip: The villas are wonderful but the Inn is comfy.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

It's a lovely place, the food was delicious, and the people who work there were all outstandingly friendly and helpful. I wasn't impressed with my spa services--a facial and a massage--and the yoga class was the shortest, shallowest one I've ever attended. Also, though my room was large and nice with a really plush bathrobe and fluffy towels, the bathtub was disappointingly shallow. The whole place looks like it received a major renovation about twenty years ago. It's a nice place and a relaxing getaway, but not especially luxurious.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Upupnaway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I went to the spa and was dissapointed with the facial and the pendicure. The was no leg/foot massage for the $70.00 pedicure and the facial was a joke. Very little application and when I was resting she stopped working and sat in her chair for 10 minutes thinking I was asleet. Very sad for the amount of money I spent. NEVER Again. I must say that the food and bar were great.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

convinced my husband to go to a spa for an emergency stress relief weekend. the spa itself was wonderful - quiet, relaxing, accomodating. The staff was invisible in a good way - they weren't all over you but if you needed anything they are right there and every single person made themselves available and were anxious to help.

i was glad that gratuities were included in all services so you don't have to carry anything at all and you can devote your day to complete relaxation. Since we stayed there, everything from the juice bar to the restaurant was just added to our room tab. I loved the use of a fluffy robe for the day and you can even eat lunch in the restaurant in your robe. (As another reviewer pointed out, that might a little weird for wedding reception guests, but nice for spa guests.)

They have a wonderful array of services and classes, which to me seemed very reasonably priced. You really can fill a whole day there, even two days, if you choose. This was my husband's first massage ever and he loved it.

we stayed at the inn itself for 2 nights, which in retrospect i don't know if i would do again. We went in March - still chilly, not prime season and we still paid over $350 per night for a small suite, and that price included nothing but the room - no breakfast or anything.

that being said, the service was impeccable from check in to check out, from the bellman to the spa staff. Also, i am a stickler for cleanliness and this place was sparkling clean (I even looked in the corners of the bathroom just to be sure). So clean that this is the first hotel ever i would have soaked in the bathtub had i had the time.

We will definitiely return for spa services, and even though the service was the best we've ever had in a hotel, we may stay elsewhere due to the few cons: room rates are too expensive, room decor a little 80s country inn (although it seems they might be renovating - one room was being worked on, very unobtrusively though), and the food at their Kensington's restaurant at breakfast was not as good as I had hoped.

Tips:
Breakfast - skip the buffet unless you are there very early when it is actually fresh and stocked. Get a made to order breakfast instead.

Mohegan Sun - right down the street but too noisy and smokey for me, even in the no smoking areas. Sensory overload. Parking is close to the casinos.

Foxwoods - very spread out but it is more like a mall with casinos in it, so there are quieter spots. Also, plenty of cheap slots for people like me who like to gamble but are not really willing to lose much. Service at David Burke Prime there is impeccable. Parking is a little rough - not designed well.

Mystic - is very close and worth an afternoon. And it was the only quaint waterfront town we were able to find in CT.

Norwich - the spa and grounds are lovely, but don't expect the town of Norwich to be the same, not where we drove anyway. Drive over to Mystic instead. Next time we will drive over to Rhode Island for the day as well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I have been going to the Norwich Spa for over 10 years and I just went for my annual girls weekend and I have to say that I was disappointed. It was totally too crowded, there are tons of lockers but it seemed that everytime I went to go to my locker there was someone in my way.
I had several treatments and most were great but my hot stone massage was a total disappointment. The person that was giving the massage was dying to talk and I just wanted to relax. It seemed that they were spent more time talking and moving the stones around in the tub then actually massaging.
In addition to being crowded the people that were guests were rude. One of my favorite places is the relaxation room. There were friends sharing relaxation chairs and whispering while others were trying to relax, at one point one woman came in and very loudly whispered her friends name. Seriously just go over and tap your friend don't call out her name!
In the dining area you could not hear yourself think with all the women cackling.
In the past in the guest rooms they had their signature apricot lotion, shower gel and conditioner and they didn't this year. Why? We spend enough money to stay. Why would you give us some crap lotion??
And to top it off after the weekend is over you get your bill and they add on so many fees it is ridiculous! I think I paid an extra $100 in fees.
Well needless to say I will be finding another spa to go to next year. I am sorry to say that because it was one of my top vacation in the past but it really disappointed this year.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I took a much-needed trip ro Norwich with a friend in February 2011. We were so excited to get away and receive the highly touted pampering of the Norwich in and Spa.

I must admit, we were both disappointed. Firest of all the spa is very small and accommodates both men and women. There are few places to put up one's feet and for the middle of February in New England, it was very crowded.

Accomodations were also a disappointment. We stayed in a Villa, which was a hike away from the spa in the snow, but a good value. The Villa was bare bones accommodations - two double beds in a very small bedroom with hardly enough closet or drawer space for two ladies to store 3 days worth of gear. The bathroom was a prefab fiberglass showere and commode. The kitchen was a plus, but bring your own snacks, wine and coffee.

The spa services were the worse I have experienced - from local day spas to places like Canyon Ranch, Palm Aire oe Kripalu (to name a few). A 19% tip is built in - encouraging the therapists to absent-mindedly rub your body while they think about what they will do after work - why not? At Norwich, there is no incentive to delight the customer. The only exception was Rhonda who gave me an excellent facial.

Bottom line: if you have experienced excellent spa service, you are likely to be disappointed in the Norwich Inn.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!