“Overpriced!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
Boston
“Overpriced!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

Spent two nights at the Norwich Spa and Inn for a wedding. The rooms were TINY! And for nearly $300 a night, not worth it. Both breakfast and lunch were really pricey, took forever to get served, and weren't very tasty. I don't appreciate paying $9 for a bowl of instant oatmeal. The two spa treatments I had were very nice, though even those cost more than they should. The inn itself is lovely, though it's strange to have so many folks in robes during a wedding reception. The wedding service was quite good, except for the part where the staff barged down the aisle before the guests were out of the ceremony so they could "turn the room". I found that unacceptable given the four other entrances. All in all, I would tell people to avoid the massive expense and stay someplace better.

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Why didn't I check the prior reviews before booking a stay at this place ! And to make matter worse I see in the reviews that the comfort Inn at 130 a night has a HIGHER review ! Anyway the entire place is a disaster. Rudeness, no sense of elegance, basically a 'cattle call' mentality. NEXT NEXT NEXT . Thats just the spa . The rooms are a disaster as well. Poor, cheap, not fresh bedding and the baths !!!! UGGGGGGGGG . Ended up eating most of my meals away from the Inn ( like many others here I now see ) . No Luxury,NONE

• Stayed August 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TEX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

We recently went to The Norwich Inn & Spa. It was the worst spa that I have ever been to. The treatments were substandard to what we have experience in the past. The spa staff and management seemed to be to much in a hurry to get us through. They did not want to hear what we had to say. The treatments that we had scheduled were not what we had signed up for when we checked in. They could not accommodate us in any way. We did request female therapist and we did not get that. During the treatment there was a lot of noise in the next room. It seemed like a lot of people were talking loud. I tried to relax but the therapist kept talking about his personal life. There was a young boy that checked us in that had no clue. He was also very rude. There was a young girl also working there on her cell phone. We went to the spa about 10 years ago and it was a very pleasant experience. We will not go back to the spa again.

• Liked — The Scenery
  • Disliked — Rude Staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
beanpole8971
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

See information about this terrible inn below -

1) Our package included breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was a limited buffet (the waitress didn’t even give us the menu – IN CASE we might want to get fresh food), dinner selections were limited, and overall the food quality was poor to mediocre. It was so bad, in fact, we opted to leave the premises for dinner on the second night (even though we had paid for it as part of our package).

2) Neither my husband nor I showered in the bathroom in our room. It was dirty and disgusting. We opted to use the spa showers instead, which were better but public.

3) The room was dusty, dingy, and dirty – and there were bugs in the closet (my husband killed at least three giant mosquitoes) and the bedspread had stains on it.

4) The help (who were all kids) was over-stressed and could not handle the volume of customers (we waited at the outside bar for 20 minutes to each be given a drink).

5) The spa was ok, but obviously hasn’t been updated. Both my husband and I got spa services – but when we tried to add services for our stay, we were told it was impossible.

As someone who travels quite a bit on business – and has visited many spas/resorts/hotels/restaurants – I can say, without question, that they have no right to charge the prices they charge and offer the accommodations they do.

My husband planned this weekend -- and wanted it to be special for me/us -- he was disappointed and I felt terrible for him.

• Stayed August 2007
Duxbury, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

I just returned from a "girl's weekend" at the Spa at Norwich Inn and can't say I would recommend the hotel or spa. I booked reservations for an annual college friend get-together - there are 6 of us, all professionals, in our early 40's. We have made a tradition of getting together for a weekend each summer to reminisce and get pampered - we have done this at various spas in and around New England and choose a new location to try each year. This was explained to the booking agent at the hotel on booking. She set us up in 2 condominiums or "villas" that she explained would be next to each other. She called back to guarantee this feature prior to my booking. Upon arrival, not only were the condos not next to each other, they were in separate buildings. The woman at check in was unappologetic, had no explanation as to why the booking was in error and made no effort to rectify the situation. When I indicated I was displeased, she shrugged and continued on with our check in. So, not off to a great start. The villas were clean and had plenty of nice towels but otherwise were a little tired and in need of maintenance with peeling paint on the exterior and a balcony that appeared unsafe to go out on. Also, they were not so well appointed - there were only 3 glasses an no ice trays to make ice for cold drinks. The grounds are not well maintained either. Not much is included in your stay - there is coffee in the lobby in the morning, mini scones in the afternoon and a wine tasting where you sit for a lecture and get a thimble full of wine. Saturday morning at the spa was a cattle call - you wait for your appointment in one of two areas: the hall between the desk and the nail salon or next to the pool - not exactly relaxing or private. The spa can be used by hotel guests or just anyone off the street, so it was extremely crowded. The treatments were good but very rushed - the emphasis here is clearly on quantity of customers served rather than quality of services provided. The staff were a little unpolished as well. For example, a woman in the locker room was actually throwing dirty robes across the sitting area of the room into laundry bins ! The upside was that they didn't push products on you in the spa. The food at the restaurant was pretty good and the wait staff, who were all very young, did a good job and were friendly. We ended up enjoying ourselves because of the company, but if I went alone for a true "spa experience" I would have been extremely dissappointed. They should advertise this as a hotel offering some spa services rather than a destination spa.

• Liked — easy to find directions
  • Disliked — front desk, hotel staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

It was a truly lovely 3 days, just a few notes:

- the grounds were so pretty
- the food was excellent, and they deliver anywhere on the property, including the pools, which was awesome
- the spa isn't that relaxing - but the treatment was nice (albeit too expensive)
- the rooms and decor were dated, but the beds were comfy
- they won't deliver champagne flutes to the villas cause they cannot transport glass (???)
- our shower was a disappointment
- the afternoon tea was 'splendid' - great scones!!!

I'd recommend it for a relaxing time for sure, however, the quality of the hotel itself could have been better.

• Liked — the grounds
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Captiva, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

Stayed here for one night in early July 2007. The grounds were very pretty and the hotel lobby was noce, check-in was quick and there were no glitches. The room was fine, but had a faint unappealing smell and wasn't worth the $200 we paid for it. The spa was relaxing and treatments were pretty good. However, the prices they were charging were outrageous - $95 for a basic 50-minute massage and $75 for a pedicure! Fitness classes were $18 per person. I chose to work out in the gym for free (facilities are excellent.)
Restaurants: Incredibly expensive. Two of us ate at the casual restaurant (ascot's) for dinner, no appetizers or desserts, and the bill was $58. At breakfast at Kensington's, a plain bowl of oatmeal was $10. At the Holiday Inn the room is half price and breakfast is included! While it was a relaxing stay, I would nto come here again.

• Liked — Fitness facilities
  • Disliked — Everything was so overpriced
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!