“A well-run friendly hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Norwalk Inn and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 East Ave., Norwalk, CT 06851   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Norwalk
New York
“A well-run friendly hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I will be going to Norwalk again this spring so I looked up the inn on Tripadvisor to see how it was doing. Overall, pretty good, which is not surprising. However, I noticed the "Shame On" review posted in November about how the inn handled things following Hurricane Sandy. I was surprised by what the reviewer said and felt I just had to respond. We have been going to the inn for several years now -- probably have spent some 12 or 13 weekends there. What we have seen at the inn is unfailing kindness to and consideration of its guests and its neighbors. Once we met a family with a lot of children who had just lost their home in a fire. Management went out its way to make this family feel comfortable and secure as they slowly began to recover from this tragedy, in which they lost everything they owned. That is just one example.
Carol from NYC

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here for business for 2 weeks. During that time we ate at the hotel often. The food was generally good eating on occasion in the bar. The breakfast was not participially good but no drama.The staff were very helpful and always eager to help. I would stay here again. Ideal for sight seeing in the area. For the quality of the place the price is very good.

Room Tip: Stay here for convenience to everything in Norwalk
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bethel, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am from Norwalk. Whenever relatives visit, and need a hotel, they all always gravitate towards this place, because it is the best deal. They have never had a complaint about the facility.

It is very convenient to route 95.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have recently attended a conference over 3 days at the Norwalk Inn and conference center. My experience was overall wonderful. The value was excellent and the location was very convienient to all major highways. The facility was impeccable in every detail. The rooms were roomy, decorated with a plush and friendly feel. The cleanliness was excellent. The beds and linens were great. The linens seemed to be of high quality and lended a upscale feel to the whole experience.
The staff was easily accessible and more than helpful and friendly. The facility had an upscale feel with the attention given of a mom and pop place.
I ate most of my meals at the restaurant. The food was amazing. Every detail of all the meals was impeccable. I have some special needs in my diet and the chef and wait staff accomadatted me without any issues and with good will.
The conference rooms were comfortable and equpped to make the experience very comfortable.
I can't say enough about the Inn. I would recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: There is a lovely outdoor pool. Bring your bathing suit if the weather is appropriate.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

An Inn with all the Amenities at an okay price. The special reason to stay at the Norwalk Inn is the exceptional staff. On checking in I was greeted with professional smiles by Carol Ann and Adrian. They were very helpful answering my many question. Over 60 other members of our HS Class were staying at the Inn for our 50th. We had three days of activities and events that were very well supported. The Inn is a great place to have a conference and a reunion. Another receptionist I must mention is Jackie. Upon returning several of us discussed with her how the staff especially appreciated our Class staying at the Inn. The bartender Liz T. makes drinking with a few mates in a hotel bar loads of fun. The dining was excellent with a great staff and a extremely attentive and customer oriented manager. As I said, the staff made it a point to engage the guests specializing in making them feel welcome. Upon leaving, I was invited back by the owner. I definitely plan on returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Westport, Conn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

As locals who lost power during Hurricane Sandy, we booked a room at the Inn, as the temperature dropped into the 30's and our home was too cold to stay. The staff immediately told us that in addition to a 4 night minimum imposed during that post-Hurricane that weekend, we'd have to sign a paper stating we could not get a refund for canceling or leaving early if they lost power.
Reading so many heartwarming stories of residents and businesses pitching in to help their neighbors, Norwalk Inn should be ashamed of themselves trying to profit from their own community during this time when so many were literally out in the cold. With a room shortage in town during these cold nights, they could easily have rebooked the room. I would never recommend the hotel for this reason.
Do give high marks to the dining room staff and the housekeeping staff, who were very friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: The room was small but comfortable enough for our needs. We had a room in the back at the end and it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
NorwalkInn, Front Office Manager at Norwalk Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We are proud of the hotel's response to the emergency presented by the 'Hurricane Sandy'. Because of extensive pre-storm preparation and because of uncommon staff efforts, the Inn was able to maintain the independent electrical power during the region's extensive blackouts. Many guests offered personal thanks for our continued shelter and amenities, and we were happy to be of service.

As you noted, during the emergency the Norwalk Inn requested that our guests stay for at least four days. There were two principle reasons for this.

First, we projected that the great majority of hotel guests would be unaffected by the request. This did prove to be the case, actually; local electrical outages were so dire that almost all guests stayed with us not just for four days, but for a week or more. For almost all guests, the four-day request was moot issue.

Second, we used the four-day request in order to give priority to families in truly dire situations. Large families who were likely to lose power for at least four days abided by our request with no hesitation; it was individuals who passed through town for a day or two who refused our request. In this way, we freed up a greatest possible number of rooms for families.

In sum, we gave every effort to maximize our capacity to help, then placed a fair-minded priority on those in the greatest need. I am not at all "ashamed" of the Norwalk Inn's response; quite the contrary.

We hope you find the above response to be reasonable, and that it might persuade you to remove your Trip Advisor posting in the near future.

We are also happy that because we take our customers added peace of mind, so seriously, we now have 100% full indpendant generators installed.

If you would like to discuss the issue further, please do not hesitate to contact us personally at anytime.

Thanks for your attention.
Oakdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My firm booked this location for a busniess meeting recently. I found the meeting and front desk staff to be very accomodating, friendly and willing to answer any question I had. My room was very quiet and clean and everything worked well. I had dinner and breakfast at Adam's Rib, ordered off of the menu and had an excellent meal with a very attentive server. I enjoyed the hotel area and ammenities during several downtime opportunities. The grounds are beautiful and my experience was one that I would like to return here for pleasure someday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Norwalk Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!