“A lot of fun for my toddler” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 10 Attractions in Norwalk
Type: Children's Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Stepping Stones Museum for Children ignites a child's love of learning through play. Open your world to our hands-on exhibits and exciting programs. With our five main galleries and over 100 hands-on activities, children become wide-eyed with wonder. As they see, hear, touch, feel and do, their ever-growing minds venture to amazing new places. Our Traveling Exhibit Gallery changes every few months so you can always expect new and fascinating adventures. Stepping Stones mission is to broaden and enrich the educational opportunities for children ages ten and under and to enhance their understanding of the world. The museum seeks to create an environment that inspires lifelong learning and supports parents, caregivers and educators as facilitators of children's explorations. Stepping Stones is open daily between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and CLOSED Mondays between Labor Day and Memorial Day (School Year Hours) Hours are 10:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Derby, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
“A lot of fun for my toddler”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I visited with my 2 year old - she really enjoyed the museum and was kept well entertained. A little too young for the room with the water lab but enjoyed everything else.

I also liked that there were plenty of activities going on -- such as a music, sing along hour (forget the actual name).

As much as I enjoyed Stepping Stones with my daughter......the only thing I did not agree with was the money -- really not worth $30 for one parent and a toddler (considering that the parent is only going to accompany the child). Maybe in the future, a ticket can be designed where it's $15.00 for both the parent and the child but includes admission to the Matthew's Mansion (giving something to the adult to enjoy too), then MAYBE it would be worth the $30.

Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
25 attraction reviews
“Disorganized chaos for kids to go wild.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Do you like structured insanity mixed with self-absored parents and their rambunctious children? Do you like to wander from room to room, enabling your short attention span to get even shorter? Well, then this is the place for you. Don't get me wrong - we have a MEMBERSHIP to this place, because hey, it's one of the only gigs in town. Which says a lot about this town. But no one thing is absorbing here. It's just a hodge-podge of small stands, each one with a few bells and whistles, but nothing really deeply engaging for a kid. Which is fine. whatever

Visited March 2013
12 attraction reviews
“Great fun... For my younger son... Not the 9 year old...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

My 6 year old had a blast from the get go! My 9 year old looked at me within a few minutes and asked if I "seriously" thought this was a place for him, too. He did lighten up and enjoy himself after a while. They both especially loved the energy room. But surrounded by toddlers, I would not recommend this for children past 7 years old -- regardless if what the web site claims. Wonderful for really young children.

4 attraction reviews
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I visited here over the weekend during accessbility day. It is so nice to see a musuem offer something like this for kids with special needs. The museum was very clean and the staff was nice. My 2 year old son especially liked the Energy lab where they do all kinds of things with balls like put them in an air chamber or water. They also had the typical section with fruit and vegetables, and a nice set up of doctor/dentist office. We attended the Move n Groove session which was so cute. The instructor really had nice kids music and got everyone to participate. We ate at Stepping Stones cafe for lunch and my advice is pack your own. Even though they advertise everything is baked the chicken tenders and fries tasted greasy and like they were sitting for hours. They had sandwhich and soup options but nothing spectacular and too expensive. You won't find soda here not even diet. So pack some PB&J granola bars and yogurt and save yourself a ton of money. We only spent about 2 hours here, though you can probably spend double that with an older child with a bigger attention span. Overall we really liked it.

Visited March 2013
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Worth the trip for the Children”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great interactive exhibits across a broad subject matter than will enthrall young children. My children have always been fascinated by the water area. Expect the children to get a little wet!!!
The staff are excellent with all ages but this really is for 2-9 year olds.

Visited December 2012