“Works in a Pinch!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilltop Inn & Suites

Hilltop Inn & Suites
You added Hilltop Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Hilltop Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   373 Norwich Westerly Rd., Route 2, North Stonington, CT 06359-1516   |
New Jersey
“Works in a Pinch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Usually, we stay in Mystic to break up the drive from Cape Cod to NJ. But last minute, Saturday night, summertime, Mystic was fully booked. I saw the Hilltop had availability on a travel website. So I booked directly on Hilltop's website. There were mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, but I chanced it. First the good then the bad. The bathrooms were absolutely clean. The reviews stated "it was dated" but I could handle dated if the bathroom was spotless. It was and it turns out I didn't have to deal with "dated". The room seemed up-to-date and the parking lot had been recently re-asphalted. The coffee in the room is MUCH better than at breakfast. I like strong coffee, so I use both filter packs, the regular and decaf for one pot of coffee. I guess so many people have complained about the coffee at breakfast, that you can buy $1 Keurig coupons at the front desk. The breakfast was adequate for a gluten-free eater like me. I ate yogurt and hard-boiled eggs.

Now the bad.....a previous reviewer stated the toilet paper was like sandpaper. That reviewer was not kidding! We had two queen beds, when my husband turned down his bed, it had looked like it had been slept in and the sheets weren't changed. The bottom fitted sheet was clearly rumpled with the indentations of the mattress (you couldn't bounce a quarter off it if you tried, it would probably get stuck in one of the indentations), and normally a fitted sheet goes all the way down to the bottom of the mattress, but this only went halfway......my bed was fine. With the room being non-smoking, people smoke in front of the room, the only problem was that the air conditioning swept in the air and made our room smell like smoke.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Made a last minute reservation (a tad expensive) to go to the beaches in Rhode Island. Some of the poor reviews scared me but I was pleasant surprised. The room was big, clean and met expectations for a decent room in a non major chain motel. The included continental breakfast is perfect for my kids and the free wifi is a nice extra. We didn't use the shuttle to the casinos but it seems like a great perk to staying here if the casinos are your thing. Staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay here again without worry under the same circumstances.

Stayed August 2014
Whitinsville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We booked a last minute saturday overnight. No issue with the price because we wanted to go to Foxwoods and get a comped room but they were booked up. I was happy they had a room available. Check in was fine. The staff was very welcoming and wished us good luck at the casino. We didn't use the shuttle because we don't drink. We arrived back at our room around 3am and all the drunk people were already asleep so we had a great night's sleep. The room was very clean. The bathroom was immaculate! We had a handful of issues with the room that made the stay less then enjoyable so contacted them via email and was called right away. I spoke with Jay who was amazing and very helpful. Normally I would consider not going back but the friendly front desk and Jay's customer service ensured we will consider them again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Freeport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

because the a/c sounds like a freight train! At least ours did, and so did every one I passed by! Other than that, the musty smell in the room and the crummy water pressure in the shower, the place is ok. Not great, but adequate.
The bed was very comfortable, but the bedspread was nasty. (as most hotels are)
The room was pretty clean overall. Nice TV and good channel lineup. The staff is friendly and breakfast is decent. They could use more fresh things. There was only a handful of 'fresh' apples and they were real far from fresh. Old mealy and bruised. The location is good to Foxwoods, and they do offer limited shuttle times.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Pipersville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

First time staying here. It was nice and clean. The rooms were older, but comfortable. Breakfast was fine, however we would have preferred brewed coffee instead of instant. Staff was very friendly. We would stay again for a quick visit

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Originally was planning on staying at Foxwoods overnight as I was attending a concert but found a room here for a little over $100 bucks cheaper so I opted to stay here instead. No options for dinner on site but there are food locations along the road that could work. Friendly front desk staff who were informative and helpful. Shuttle service to Foxwoods was superb and timely which lended a hand for transportation to the concert and from the concert. I could have a drink or two and not worry about driving back to the property. Double room was sufficient, cable tv, free amenities in the room, and comfortable beds. Breakfast in the morning is available mostly cereals, bagels, donuts, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, apples, juice, coffee, or tea. You can make your own waffle using the waffle irons in the lobby if interested. Charges $1 per night for use of the electronic safe but outside of taxes and room fees that is the only additional charge I encountered. Will stay again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Highland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

My wife and I try to get up to the Mystic, Stonington and Rhode Island area a couple times a year. We find the Hilltop to be in a great location as it is approximately 4 - 8 miles from the areas we most frequent. We make our reservations on line and upon arriving are greeted with a friendly smile. They offer a free shuttle to Foxwoods and have a morning continental breakfast (hot waffles). The room is clean and the amenities are fine. We feel this is a nice place to stay at a fair price and plan on staying there again.

Room Tip: The hotel is two floors with no elevator and we always ask for a room on the 1st floor. The hotel h...