“A Pleasant Surprisebin North Haven” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Fairfield, Connecticut
“A Pleasant Surprisebin North Haven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

A business dinner in a strip center near highway proved to be a very good restaurant! The chef cooked swordfish, which was a special, to our specifications off the menu: grilled over black rice with steamed vegetables. It was terrific. Wine selections adequate and reasonably priced, wait staff attentive, not rushed.....

Visited May 2013

Hamden, Connecticut
“Excellent Restaurant in North Haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I typically take clients to Ludal or go for business events and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent and the service is great too. Nice atmosphere and they cater well to large groups. Highly recommend Ludal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hartford, Connecticut
“Good food,but in dire need of customer service improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I went to Ludal two weeks ago with a friend. The menu looked amazing and the meals being served around us were mouthwatering. My friend commented on how inexpensive she thought the meals were and because of that, she ordered a much more elaborate meal than she normally would have. Our food was terrific. The bread and oil/vinegar/onion spread is very unique, the house salad dressing is very good, and our main meals (one was a steak dish, the other a house specialty pasta) were great, as was the dessert (a bomba). However, when we got the bill, we were shocked. Turns out my friend was handed a lunch menu and was charged a dinner price for her meal. We even questioned the waiter on a few of the items on the menu because they didn't seem to have certain items that they typically do, and one would think the waiter would realize that my friend was handed the wrong menu. When she asked for the price that she was listed in the menu, she got a lot of push back and excuses. First the manager came out and said, "Well, we did give you the wrong menu but we gave you a dinner portion." So? She would not have ordered it had she known the size and price, had she been given the correct menu. Then the manager came back to our table with the hostess trailing behind him to say she would have to take the difference from her tips. We were absolutely appalled. We asked to speak with the owner but were told that the owner was firm, that there would be no price adjustment. It was quite upsetting and this had very little to do with the money as much as it did with the way the situation was handled. In the end, the manager was able to give us a "discount" that equaled the extra cost of the meal but we really don't know if the hostess had to pay out of her tips or not. The fact that she said this in front of us (tacky) or that the manager said the owner would not budge (horrible customer service) really put a damper on a fine evening. I'm not sure I would go back, mostly on principle. Too bad because the short ribs looked delicious.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hamden, Connecticut
“Not always perfect, but this time the food was but not the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Ludal's has certainly evolved over the years, and the restaurants dimmer, more relaxing decor added the right touch. Had to wait in line over half an hour and almost decided to exit but glad we didn't. I tend to describe their menu as sophisticated Italian with a modern touch. Always order the veal with lemon and never disappointed. My new friend is from upper Connecticut and seemed satisfied with his choice- the traditional chicken parm with penne pasta. We both mentioned portion size, because we could not finish the delicious romaine salad if we wanted to enjoy the main course and both of us had to ask for take-out boxes because the generous portions were just too much. The staff was friendly but seemed disorganized, causing our wait time to be longer than promised- although the endless arrivals didn't help resolve this issue. Think the next time I return, it won't be on the weekend when parking seemed impossible until I got lucky and pulled up in front of the entrance door as soon as someone exited.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northford, Connecticut
“First Time at Ludals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Oh. My. God. The food here is outstanding. The place was PACKED on a Saturday night, but service was quick, the order was taken and delivered promptly and the food was amazing. I had the stuffed pork chop, and it was perfectly cooked and paired with Parmesan and truffle fries. My husband had the peppercorn steak which was to die for. Nice wine selection, too. And the best part: reasonable prices! I think I've found my new favorite restaurant!! Can't wait to return!

• Visited April 2013