“Great Food, Ice Cold Beer!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Guilford, Connecticut
“Great Food, Ice Cold Beer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We go there at least 3 weekends a month. Recommend French onion soup, prime rib special, burgers, and wings. Speaking as a semi-professional cook, wings are fresh not frozen, burgers are also freshly made not frozen. The fries are fresh cut. Huge selection of bottled and draft beer. On Friday nights, there is always an excellent band playing. Owned and staffed by very nice hard-working local family not by a corporation. Don't let the motorcycles scare you away. The bikers there are members of various organizations who spend their time raising money for local charities.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wallingford, Connecticut
“Great Burgers and sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

If your looking for a great burger or a over stuffed sandwich, cold beer or a nice glass of Merlot.... go no further... this is the place,,, friendly and a very warm welcome. Casual atmosphere with a fireplace. Fridays show a great happy hour food tray, and dont over look the Friday night Prime Rib special!!! The owners, Scott and Wendy are always there to greet you, and Kevin at the bar serves a nice drink. Build your own basic burger... its awsome.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brittney B, General Manager at Steel Horse Saloon, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Ed,
Thank you so much for the kind review. We are very happy you love our bar. We try very hard to make sure the food and the atmosphere is on point. We look forward to you coming back many more times! See you soon!
Vienna, Austria
“Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

As I drove into the parking lot I saw a bunch of motorcycles, strike one. Walked in the place and there were a bunch of "motorcycle club" guys hanging at the bar . Strike two. We waited to be served as the bartender chatted with patrons. Strike three, we left .

Brittney B, General Manager at Steel Horse Saloon, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Strike one: motorcycles in the parking lot? I'm not even sure how to respond to that one and why that gives us a strike. Strike two: if your talking about Sunday April 5, the motorcycle club you were talking referring to, was the Teamster Horseman who were there planning a charity ride that benefits children with cancer. I do however apologize if the bartender took longer to take your order than you could have liked- we strive to provide excellent service. But it sounds like you weren't happy with us before you even walked in the door. We wish you well.
new haven
“Like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

From the moment you walk through the door, steel horse feels like a second home. The friendly service, absolutely wonderful,fresh food(have not tried anything I wouldn't recommend), and great crowd. My fiancé and I come here weekly and I would not want to go anywhere else. They have great specials, music and drinks. HUGE selection of beer and mixed drinks. I could not recommend this place enough!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brittney B, General Manager at Steel Horse Saloon, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Hi Kristi,
Thanks for the glowing review. We truly care about the food we serve and I'm glad you enjoy it all! We appreciate you taking the time to review us. See you soon!
“Never buy back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

The food is average bar food.
They NEVER buyback a drink. I was there with a group of people, we spent well over $100 on food and drinks and they never gave us a free drink. It is customary for a bar to buyback people who spend a good amount of drinks. Never again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time at our bar. We always give a free round to our loyal and repeat customers, always. Do we just give every new person who walks in and spends $100 a free drink? No we don't. I don't think anywhere does that- you first need to build a relationship. We also strive to have our food be more than average. Our food is fresh, never frozen, and most recipes are our own. Our food gets fantastic reviews normally so I'm surprised with your dissatisfaction. I'm also very surprised you gave such a bad rating over not getting a free drink. If there is more to the story feel free to stop in or call and I would be glad to address it with you. Thanks