“fine boutique hotel in Pt.Elizabeth” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Isango Gate

You added Isango Gate to your Saves list
Isango Gate
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 Bornemouth Street, Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth 6000, South Africa   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Summerstrand
Abbotsford, Canada
“fine boutique hotel in Pt.Elizabeth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Booked for 2 nights. Liked it so much we added a 3rd. Small, about 10 rooms, modern clean architecture, comfortable room, and near the beachfront. Friendly helpful staff and it has a small bar and restaurant. Easy walk to nearby restaurants and some shopping.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
gardenview123, Manager at Isango Gate, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and hope we can welcome you back soon. We are also in the process of doing an overall refurbishment of services and facilities for our guests.

Kind Regards

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed there for just one night mid August.
Our room was very spacious and nicely decorated, with partial sea view, and the bathroom was just beautiful. The kids were also very happy with their room.
We found the Staff to be well trained, smiling and friendly.
This relatively small hotel does not have a porter service - we ended up carrying our luggage ourselves as there was only one woman to help and 4 big bags to carry...
Even though, I do not hesitate to give an excellent rating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the positive feedback and my apologies for not having a porter on duty to assist you. We will look at how we can eliminate this problem for future stays and for the comfort for our other guests.
We are also doing a service and facilities upgrade at the moment, so we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind Regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here two months ago and found it to be of great value. This time around the rate was double and the service was shocking. On arrival they weren't expecting us, as their system had the dates wrong, we were made to feel like it was our fault, yet our booking confirmation had us on the correct date, we were not offered any apology. They found a suite for us but compared to our last stay in which were made to feel very welcome this time there was not much of that. Two of the pillows didn't have covers on and the room was freezing. Breakfast is not great either. It all sounds wonderful on the menu but doesn't as good. I think we may try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest

I have just taken over the management of the Hotel and are really sorry to hear about your bad experience, even more so considering that this was your second time around and you already expected great service and facilities. I would like to assure you that I am currently busy with a major upgrade of facilities and services to ensure that it will be at the level expected of a 5 star facility. I hope and trust that you will give us another chance to prove that we can be one of the best Hotels in PE.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally in the near future.
Johannesburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Booked online two months before our stay, and reserved and paid for a room with sea view.

Arrived and was met by a friendly like at reception who checked us in and took us up to our very nice room...which faced someone's garden, and away from the sea. I asked the bloke and he laughed, saying I should have chosen a room when I booked, and that all the other rooms were occupied. He realised I was serious when I showed him my confirmation which specified a sea view room. The response? We were offered $10 discount! Ultimately this became an offer of a bottle of wine which we refused, and I politely asked for my money back , we would go elsewhere. First they said they didn't have cash, nor the code to refund me on my credit card. Then offered a treatment at the spa for my wife, if they had space which he doubted because they were busy. I asked for a refund again.

I then asked for the owner or managers number since there was no one around except the bloke at reception but was told the owner was in East London and there was no manager available. Simply I then said they had the option one more time to refund me and call it a day and suddenly the managers details were found.

It may sound incidental but actually the view was one of the principal reasons for choosing this hotel - we had come all the way from Johannesburg and seeing the sea from our room was what we really wanted.

We went to the Radisson which had lovely views and that will be the place we look to book for our December holidays, not the dishonest Isango Gate. The fact that no manager was around when the whole problem occurred, and the fact that one week later no one has called me to apologies shows their actual disregard for customers...and that isn't what you expect from a five star hotel.

The no view bait and switch really seemed that this was a regular scam at Isango Gate and I would warn prospective guests to be wary of this when choosing his establishment. Go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room but don't expect to get it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

After staying at another hotel regularly we decided to stay here, why we never found this earlier I don't know. The service is great, the rooms are beautifully decorated and I even had a massage at the lovely spa. A really lovely place to stay and you get so much more for what you pay for. We will definitely be coming back here on our regular stays in PE.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful n peaceful hideaway in Port Elizabeth,,excellent service with friendliest and honest staff. Thank for keeping my Pad,never knew there some honest ppl nowadays ! Many thanks!not forgetting their superb healthy breakfast

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at this beautiful boutique hotel (before and after a safari) on the first night we arrived late and tired and to our sheer delight had been upgraded to the presidential suite; bonus! The staff are attentive, helpful and courteous. The suites are spacious, modern and all have superb showers. We used the spar for a back massage and it was incredible value for money and one of the best massages we have both ever had. This hotel is tucked away off the main road but in a prime location on the sea front; it is a hidden gem and we shall certainly return!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Isango Gate? Share your experiences!