“Not quite up to Radisson Standards” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth

Save Saved
You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Marine Dr & Ninth Ave, Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth 6001, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Summerstrand
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
“Not quite up to Radisson Standards”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Enjoyed my 2 night stay, but had some concerns which I would like to raise.

My bed was not 'fresh' upon checking in. Some hair was found on the linen.

The leaking shower is very bad. Water all over the floor

Hanged my breakfast order outside my door. To my shock the next morning I found that the order was never collected. Went down to reception to hand in my order. Waited at the restaurant for my breakfast as the lady wanted to clean my room. Waited there for 10 min for my health breakfast, soon to discover that I must get my own breakfast...... Not Good.

Air con was on constant coldness even when changed to 30 degrees.

In general I had enjoyed my stay, but I'm sure the Radisson Standards are not quite lived up there.

Hope that the issues raised will be attended to.

Thanks

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
GM_PLZZR, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Werner d
Thank you for sharing your experience at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth.
We are pleased to read that overall you did enjoy your stay with us. The issues that you raised are certainly of concern and we apologise for this. If you are willing to share the specifics of your stay, please contact me at PLZZR.GM@RadissonBlu.com. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process addressing the drainage in the showers and trust this is soon fully resolved.
We look forward to your return to Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth and trust that on your next visit we will certainly exceed your expectations.

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I expected more from Radisson Blu chain. The food at the restaurant was mediocre at best. The view from the room was nice but we were only there for the night so not really there to appreciate. The shower leaks all over the floor and when I say leak …it pours out all of the floor not only does it make a terrible mess. It is a huge safety hazard. When we advised the front desk all they said was "it is a known problem". They weren't helpful at all with the luggage when we were checking out. I had to load all my own luggage. There was a coffee machine in the lobby for coffee for take away that was broken and kept running water when it was suppose to stop. I wouldn't stay there again. We stayed at two other radisson blu hotels on our vacation one in Joburg and one in Cape town both were far superior.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_PLZZR, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear purebliss1
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth. We are pleased to read that the design of the hotel was appealing and you enjoyed your room location. Our sincere apology for the experience you had in the bathroom and also the porter service. Both incidents are certainly indicative of the level of service or product that we as a hotel and a group pride ourselves on. The problems with the bathrooms are being addressed and we trust this will be fully resolved shortly. Your comments regarding the food unfortunately gives no clear indication as to what the problem may have been. If you are willing, please feel free to email me at PLZZR.GM@RadissonBlu.com with these details so that they may be addressed. We appreciate all comments and reviews and use these to continuously improve on our service.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the Radisson in PE for a 1 night stopover. This would have to rate as one of the worst hotel stays we have ever had. It started at check-in, the service was very poor. We travelled with another couple. We had to find a porter to help unload the luggage. The room number that was on the booking sheets was not what we were given. When we got to the room it had 2 single beds, our booking was for a standard king room. We had to request and were moved to another room. The room was tired and in need of an upgrade. There was no privacy between the bathroom and bedroom, as it had a large open wall. The shower door did not shut properly, resulting in the floor flooding when showering, this also happened in the shower of the couple who travelled with us. The buffet breakfast was ok, however there was no cutlery on the table and we had to find a waiter every time we needed something. We emailed the hotel after our stay and shared the experience with them, as yet they have not replied.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
George, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed at the Radisson in PE for a night-stopover. As I am a Carlsson Club member, I always try to stay at a Radisson Hotel.
Unfortunately this hotel is nothing special. In all honesty - I recently stayed at the Radisson V&A Waterfront - and its not even close to the standard of this hotel. So, perhaps my expectation was a bit high to start off with.

Positives:
Speedy check-in with a very nice lady that gave me a room on one of the highest floors. That was nice, as the view really spectacular!
The bed was very big and comfortable.

Negatives
The room was tired. The blinds were cracking (probably of the constant sunlight shining on them), loose fittings in the bathroom, almost no hotel toiletries in the bathroom. My room phone was not working and I had to go downstairs to get somebody to fix it.
The elevators are small and scary...just not a 5star hotel typical elevator...
The room service menu is very limited, with prices as high as the hotel..
The aircon was not working properly.

Room Tip: Higher floor is nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GM_PLZZR, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Karien V
Thank you for sharing your experience at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth. We appreciate the loyalty shown to Radisson Blu by our Club Carlson members. It is unfortunate that your stay at our property was a bit of a mixed bag and for this we apologise. We strive to ensure that all our guests leave with a totally positive experience. We are pleased to advise that we are in the process of refurbishing our rooms and trust that this process will be completed by year end. We will ensure that the positive comments are shared with the team members. We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth in the near future.
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights. Conveniently located by the beach. Has all the standard Radisson Blu features - room was comfortable, breakfast was extensive, car parking was convenient, service was great. Apart from a couple of minor problems with some electrical sockets not working/TV remote control being wonky, everything else went great. The beach view from our room was really refreshing to wake up to

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_PLZZR, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear AnuP2D
Thank you for the great review, we are certainly pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth. We are very fortunate that both our location and design allow all our rooms a sea view. It is good to read that the Radisson Blu service philosophy was clearly evident during your stay, thank you. We are pleased to advise that post your stay and prior to review, we have and are still enhancing our facilities in order to exceed our guest expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth in the near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here one night due to lack of availability at the boardwalk hotel where I was attending a conference.
The hotel was situated in a residential type area. Beach was a short distance away.
My room was facing a block of apartments. The room looked modern and recently renovated. The shower drain was blocked and flooded the bathroom floor. The breakfast area was dark and dreary. Buffet breakfast was standard.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
GM_PLZZR, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Imran J
Thank you for sharing your experience at Radisson Blu Port Elizabeth with fellow travellers. It is regrettable to read that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. It is unfortunate that the room you were allocated shared a view of the sea with our neighbours. It is unfortunate to read that the breakfast area did not "meet the mark", with the Radisson Blu Hotels industry leading Super Breakfast concept, we will certainly monitor this area. I am pleased to advise that we are currently working on the plumbing issues that you mention and these should be resolved. We trust that on your next visit we will both meet and exceed your expectations.
Acting general Manager
Navan, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel in march 2013. We stayed here as we were getting our flight home after 3 weeks in south Africa. It was the only hotel out of 7 that we stayed in for the three weeks that was very disappointing. The bedroom is not nice as the bathroom/ bedroom are open plan. There is a half wall between the bath and the head of the bed. Very disappointing. Also the head waitress was not very nice. she said some statement to us that wasn't appropriate and I was upset about it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mussfucia
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We appreciate that the design of our rooms may not be all guests "cup of tea" and we apologise for this. I am concerned to read about the comments made by our staff and the discomfort this has caused you. Please may I request that you share the details of this experience with me, so that I may investigate and act where may be needed. We trust that overall your experience of South Africa and the Eastern Cape was a pleasant one.
Acting general Manager
Info.Port-Elizabeth@RadissonBlu.com

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth? Share your experiences!