“Best ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brighton Lodge Guest House

You added Brighton Lodge Guest House to your Saves list
Brighton Lodge Guest House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   21 Brighton Drive, Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth, South Africa   |
Ranked #14 of 39 Summerstrand B&B and Inns
UAE
“Best ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We had booked at Brighton Lodge over IMSA. The location is perfect, the room was very nice, the guesthouse as such is lovely, the breakfast was great and the service and hospitality was second to none. From being offered a bike stand to race day breakfast pre delivered to the room the night before, everything was lovingly arranged and taken into consideration all possible extra/special needs over this period. Not a single request was declined or seemed to be a hassle. What a fantastic stay!! Will definitely come back and recommend to anybody taking on IMSA next year!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

i stayed here for a month and fell in love with it. tastefully decorated interiors and extremely friendly staff members. Many rooms have an outdoor setting with elegant furniture. The pool is small but clean. definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have just had a lovely two week stay at Brighton Lodge. The owner and staff were very welcoming and did everything they could to make our stay a happy one. The room was spacious and very comfortable and the bathroom had an excellent shower. The best thing of all was the large courtyard off our room full of lovely plants were we could relax in complete privacy. Breakfasts were delicious and served by very pleasant staff. Any little problem or request we had was sorted out most professionally. The property is very conveniently located for all that the area has to offer, which includes first class restaurants, shopping and beaches. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed at the lodge a number of times and always found it be be of the highest standard.
Comfortable rooms friendly staff but what always impresses is that they will always go the extra mile for their clients
Highly recommend .

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I liked this place, and the staff was helpful. However, upon checkout, I had to argue about my bill.

I was quoted a certain rate, and upon checkout I was being charged almost double (in fact it was about double occupancy rather than single, and I was clearly traveling alone). I stayed for three nights, and the staff all knew that I was traveling alone. In addition, I was charged for a larger room that I did not even stay in- I had asked for the smaller room (see- solo traveler) and stayed in that smaller room for three nights in a row. In the end, they tried to charge me for the larger/ more expensive room.

After a lot of time & discussion at checkout, I added up the charges for my three nights (as quoted) and paid cash (after my deposit). My total was less than what the owner insisted that my bill was, but I paid what I had been quoted for the room I actually stayed in. I left with a very sour taste. I wrote on my credit card slip NOT AUTHORIZED so they could not over-charge me, and took copies of all receipts and quotes. Several days later it was apparent that they tried to charge my card anyway- for the full amount, not even acknowledging that I paid cash for what I actually owed them. I filed a dispute with my credit card company, and eventually got the charges reversed.

Anyway, long yucky travel story, but I wouldn't trust the owner of this place. I had to fight to get charges reversed, and I won, but its still not anything that travelers should have to deal with. Its unfortunate, because everything else about this place was fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We loved that the three rooms we had at Beacon Lodge were all private from their neighbours and looking around it seemed that most rooms enjoyed this privacy. Our room even had its own little courtyard complete with a table and chairs just right for afternoon tea. Each charming room had a theme and all had a kitchenette with tea/coffee making facilities and a fridge. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast is excellent with fresh fruit salad every day, juices, tea, coffee, cereal, muffins, yoghurt, both flavored and natural and a variety of bread which you can toast should you wish. A hot cooked breakfast is also available on order. The pool is very welcome to cool down at the end of a hot day and pool/beach towels are provided - very much appreciated. We found the staff all efficient and very pleasant and the owner, Sue, really goes the extra mile for guests. My only complaint are the pathways which are paving stones filled with loose stones and very difficult to wheel luggage to and from the rooms and even to just walk on. Something I'm sure is going to be corrected soon. Very well situated near the beachfront and Boardwalk. All in all, a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel really thought of everything that you could possibly need or want in a room and then provided it. The mini fridge and bar had a large selection of drinks and snacks. The kitchenette had a microwave, can opener, wine opener, coffee and tea, and a small sink. Reception offered a wide selection of movies, and there was a list in the room, so you could make a selection. I could have stayed there for a week going to the beach and pool during the day and watching movies at night. The hotel also offered pool/beach towels that could be borrowed just outside of reception. All of these things are very nice touches for people traveling on a long holiday with a limited amount of packing space.
We stayed in Room 208 - Animalia, which was gorgeous. I wanted to steal all of the furniture.
AND there was Wi-Fi in the hotel room!! This is super rare in Africa. At least in all of the hotels we stayed in.
One small downside is that when traveling on a long holiday, we normally bring our own beverages and snacks. It would be nice to have the mini fridge empty, so that we could put our items in there. Having the option of whether or not to have the fridge filled would be nice. That being said, we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 208 (Animalia) is gorgeous, and I would always want to stay in that room. However, it's ri...