“Impressing the locals” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain View Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Norfolk
Mountain View Inn
You added Mountain View Inn to your Saves list
67 Litchfield Road, Norfolk, CT   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Norfolk B&B and Inns
Norfolk, Connecticut
“Impressing the locals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

My sister asked for a "good place to stay" while she attended the graduation ceremonies for my two children. I had heard really good things about the Mountain View Inn however the competition is tough around here so there were several options I gave my sister. As a resident of Norfolk, the most impressive thing I had heard about this particular B&B was that, during some of our severe storms over the past several years, they would welcome residence that were out of power for days, some of weeks, to freshen up while they waited for power to be restored to their portion of the town. I was secretly hoping my sister selected this Inn.
Once she arrived i was invited to join her for breakfast, it was like walking into a time machine as I entered is beautifully restored Inn. The food was amazing, much more than either of us could finish. I stayed with her the last night and slept on the sun porch in Jenny's Room. It was a magical experience to sleep under stars and watch the sunrise in the morning. I often miss this in the busy of my day. My sister's stay at the Inn added an additional level of pleasure to our graduation week because family was invited to sample the beauty and the breakfast. This provided an extra treat to a fabulous week of celebration.

Room Tip: Jenny's Room!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The Mountain View Inn is wonderfully cozy and lovely. Nestled into the woods and overlooking Norfork, this inn has it all—large, unique guest rooms, beautiful artwork and hosts that made me feel welcomed from the minute I arrived.

The inn itself is a special place and invites one to relax and enjoy. A short walk from Norfork’s town center, Mountain View is well located for all activities in the area. However, you’ll have an urge to simply stay put because of the inn’s inviting porches, gardens and numerous spots to snug into for the day.

Dean and Jean Marie couldn’t have been nicer. I was struck by the thought that Dean put into breakfast—organic yogurt parfait with fresh fruit, free range egg quiche, breakfasts meats, juice, homemade muffins and freshly brewed coffee with cream. Each morning a member of my family that lives nearby joined me for breakfast. (There was no extra charge.)

Between the between the beautiful accommodations, delicious food and delightful conversations, it was truly a special stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in Jenny's Room (#4). There is a sun/sleeping porch that is attached to this room. Fr...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Full disclosure. We are cyclists who were bike touring the country. Last second we booked a stay just to sleep. Dean did his best to convince me the $130 was the best he could do and it would be worth the stay. We are 22 and we looked a little dirty from 12 days of riding. But after paying on my card for the room you think we would get some respect like any other customer. He looked at us like we were making the hotel dirty and this assumption was confirmed when he showed us the room. My friend sits on the bed after a long 4 hour ride and Dean says, "Do you mind not sitting on the bed those comforters are really expensive." Listen I just paid $150 (including tax) for no tv and your telling my friend who's shorts were dry after the long ride that he can't sit on the bed we literally just paid for. Seemed very snooty. And on the phone he said he'd make us a small granola for breakfast for no charge just the included price for the room. He woke us up with a firm knock after sleeping in a little late (not after checkout) and told us the breakfast was made and it would be $10 each. After agreeing there would be no charge. He gave us a yogurt parfait, small grapefruit, and oatmeal. Nothing special at all. Could get the same thing at mcdonalds for cheaper and be treated better in the process. It made us feel like we were forced to pay for this pre-made meal and we had no options. Maybe if we weren't kids. And maybe if we were a adult couple we would have been treated better. Just treat anyone with respect despite young or old(especially when your the only people staying at the place). We have money, but wish it was spent elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014
mountainviewinn, Owner at Mountain View Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Hello,

It is disheartening to read your review. Over five thousand people, young and old, and from all over the world have stayed with us. We are not all things to all people, but we do our best to accommodate everyone and, foremost, to treat each person with dignity and respect. This is reflected in the heartfelt reviews we have received over many years. As I reflect on your stay, I recall that you mentioned never having stayed at a Bed and Breakfast and that you were quite displeased with your previous lodging. You called four times, while on your bike, and each time I attempted to respond to your questions and to clarify expectations. You challenged the price and I candidly explained the lowest price I could offer. You asked about a television and I clarified that while there are no televisions in our guest rooms, you were welcome to watch the television in the Great Room at any time. When you asked about doing your laundry, I explained that, as with most Bed and Breakfasts, we do not have guest laundry facilities. When you arrived, you were warmly greeted by my wife, Jean Marie, our dog, Miss Noelle, and me. We offered refreshments, which you seemed to enjoy. We helped to secure a safe, dry location for your bikes.and provided details on how and where you might enjoy the evening in our small town. You played our antique organ (a relic, indeed) while chatting about your travels and spending time with Jean Marie and Miss Noelle. Jean Marie offered to do your laundry that evening, and did; it was ready for you when you returned. You had also stressed that you had a plan to get back on the road early and requested a 7:30 a.m. breakfast. When 8:30 a.m. arrived, I made the choice to knock on your door, based on that information. Jean Marie and I were genuinely intrigued to hear about your biking adventure and continue to wish you safe travels and many new experiences ahead.
Norwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was our first stay at the Mountain View Inn but it certainly won't be our last! My husband and I had traveled with friends to the beautiful north western corner of CT for a show at the Infinity Music Hall. Our friends had stayed here before and couldn't say enough nice things about the innkeepers. Well, once we arrived we completely understood why they were raving about this B&B.
Dean and Jean Marie were warm, welcoming, and made us feel at home straight away. The inn is decorated with Victorian elegance which is at once picture perfect but also comfortable and inviting. Our stay was wonderful. Mrs. Mead's room has a lovely little sitting area, full bath, and a bed so comfortable I could have lounged for hours. That is if breakfast were not calling my name! The food was excellent. Fresh ingredients that were delicious and beautifully presented.
We were lucky to have had gorgeous weather and so could enjoy the terrace on the afternoon of our arrival. It led me to thinking what it would be like with the snow flying, looking out while sitting snug and warm near the fire inside… we will definitely be back to enjoy the change of seasons at this gem of an inn.

Norwich, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed at the Mountain View Inn this past weekend and needless to say it was as good as ever. My wife and I traveled with friends to see Roger McGuinn at Infinity Hall Theatre, just a short walk from the inn. In innkeepers Dean, Jean-Marie and Miss Noelle were as accommodating as ever and it's like visiting family now as we have stayed there numerous times. I cannot recommend the Mountain View highly enough. It's a great place to go and relax or take in a few of the area wineries as we did this trip. We usually like to wrap a concert at Infinity Hall as part of our visit. My wife and I have stayed at the Mountain View Inn at all times of the year and no matter if its snowing and you are sitting next to a roaring fire in the great room or enjoying a nice summer breeze on the front porch or patio in the back, it's a great place to be. The Mountain View also attracts a nice quality of guests and we have had many interesting conversations along the way! Even when the inn is full you feel like you are the only people there. Very spacious. Breakfast is top notch! Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Southport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay at the Mountain View Inn. We were warmly greeted by Dean and Jean Marie (our human hosts) and Noelle (our sweet canine hostess) and made to feel very much at home. We stayed in Felix's room (#6) which was beautifully appointed, immaculate and filled with many thoughtful touches such as interesting reading materials and chocolate kisses! The mattress and the linens were super comfortable and we slept very soundly. As others have mentioned, the Infinity Bistro and Music Hall are just a short walk from the Inn and we appreciated that we did not need to use our car to enjoy dinner and a concert. Breakfast was very well done, delicious, nutritious and elegantly presented. We highly recommend this top notch establishment!

Cockeysville Hunt Valley, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I just spent our 30th wedding anniversary at the Mountain Inn in Norfolk, CT, in northwest Connecticut (CT), about three hours from NYC. It could not have been better. The inn sits up on a rise in this pleasant New England town, with a lovely stone patio and porches. Inside is like a work of art: antique Victorian furniture throughout, lovely coffee table books about the surrounding area including the Litchfield Hills to the south and the Berkshires to the north, topped off by owner & artist Dean Johnson's stunning oversized "large flower" oil paintings (also available in giclee). Breakfast was marvelous, and every afternoon we came back to pomegranate juice & cookies (the juice replaced by port at night). Like everything else at the Inn, a great touch. Norfolk the town is a gem: the summer home to Yale's art & music departments, it also boasts "Infinity Hall", a renovated vaudeville theatre cum bistro that now books music groups all summer long, and a terrific 19th century public library (worth just seeing). Practically just across the street is the Battell Chapel, with its original Tiffany windows. Lots of nice hikes all around, too (as others mentioned, Haystack Mt. and Campbell Falls state parks are within a 5-20 minute drive of the inn). Back to the inn itself: items that are important to us: it is exceptionally clean, the beds are firm (with fine linens), and there was no street or other noise at night. Dean and his wife Jean Marie are pros when it comes to B&B hospitality. All in all, a wonderful inn in the country!

Room Tip: All the rooms have A/C. We stayed in "Erastus' Room" (Rm. 2). Room 4 ("Jenny'...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain View Inn? Share your experiences!