“Yankee Clipper has been torn down!!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 40 Restaurants in Niantic
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Niantic, Connecticut
“Yankee Clipper has been torn down!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Drove past what used to be the Yankee Clipper Restaurant a couple of weeks ago, and the back hoes were tearing down the building. Apparently, the restaurant closed sometime back in May 2014.

Visited July 2014

East Haven
“Solid Diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had the fried fish sandwich with sweet potato fries, which were quite good, with a side of excellent, fresh, homemade cole slaw. The service was attentive and informal (my server commented that I didn't eat the entire bun). The restaurant is extremely dark with small porthole-type windows and I was hesitant to go it, as I was alone and quite frankly, it looks like a dive. The restaurant proper is rather small, with booths and a few counter stools. There is an additional bar room which can be used for large parties. It's been in business for 50 years, so it has some staying power. Not a huge menu, but sometimes that's a plus, as the kitchen staff knows how to prepare all the dishes. The prices were very reasonable. If I was with my husband or friends, I would go to the Black Sheep, just down the road a bit.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Southington, Connecticut, USA
“Quick & Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Perfect pre-beach stop. Fast service, nothing fancy but very good food. Lots of variety. Will be back.

Visited July 2013
East Berlin, Connecticut
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Food is excellent, wait staff is friendly. We go every Friday night for dinner, hours are 4 to 8:30. Never went for breakfast. Asked chef for blackened fish (not on the menu) and it was great.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Strange Hours”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We kept driving by this place while going between the motel and town, and were seeing the parking lot full going one way and empty going the other. We knew we’d seen the parking lot full the night we arrived, so we didn’t think they were a breakfast-only place. Looking into their hours, we found that this restaurant serves breakfast and lunch during the week, but is open for dinner on the weekends. Then what we'd been seeing made sense. We went there one morning for breakfast, and the sign said to seat yourself, so we did. The first thing I noticed is that it’s pretty dark in there. Lights are low inside, and outdoor light comes in through small portholes. I usually like darker restaurants, but this one was dark enough to feel gloomy. I also need a slightly brighter place in the mornings to finish waking up, at least until I get some caffeine in me. The darkness might have felt better at a different time of day. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. Menus were brought as soon as were seated, and our orders were taken promptly. We didn’t have to wait very long for our food to be ready. Our food was so-so. Pancakes were chewy and rubbery. The bacon tasted good, but was very thin. I don’t know what their dinners are like. For all I know, they may be much better, but we weren’t in town long enough to catch them again on a night they were open. I’d pass on having breakfast there in the future, though.

• Visited October 2012