“Excellent Thai food with splash of Sushi” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
East Lyme, Connecticut, United States
“Excellent Thai food with splash of Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Agree with previous review that kinks have been worked out since Opening day. Seated quickly with prompt menus and drink orders. Started with 2 sushi rolls for apps - Tai's and East Lyme rolls. Both tasty and artfully decorated. Had 2 extra spicy dishes (Drunken fried rice w/ squid & Thai Basil shrimp) and 2 non-spicy dishes (red snapper w/ sweet & sour sauce and Hong Kong noodles). All 4 prepared as requested and to all of our satisfaction. The owners have done a fine job decorating the restaurant with bold colors matching some beautiful Thai art work. Full bar with 2 large screen TV's makes this place a true neighborhood gem!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Niantic
“asian cuisine at it's finest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I am not a big sushi person, but love spicy thai food. This hit the spot. All kinks have been worked out, the food is great, staff very cheery, spice levels perfect. Great restaurant for Niantic! Finally

Visited December 2012
Connecticut
“A Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

An earlier review of The Spice Club (a new restaurant recently opened in Niantic, CT) indicted that the “bugs needed to be worked out”. Well, they have (and then some). My wife and I love Thai food so we decided to find out for ourselves and it was a pleasant surprise. Service was fine and the appetizers and dinners that we ordered were superb. All were freshly prepared with obviously fresh ingredients. And the presentation only enhanced that preparation. We split the Pork Potsticker appetizer ($5.95) and had the Four Seasons Chicken and Drunken Fried Rice for the main entrees (at $10.95 each). The food quality and the service were that of an upscale restaurant in an urban location (and here it was in the little town of Niantic). Granted, my wife and I visited on a Thursday evening and we eat early (~5:30 PM). But by the time we were finished most tables were occupied and the activity level in the restaurant was high. If the level of cooking and service holds this will be one of the premier Thai/Japanese restaurants in the area. The only negative (and this is minor) is that the prices of wine and draught beer are a little higher than in other area restaurants. But, when traded off against the fair prices of the appetizers and entrees this is only a minor issue. We will definitely be back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mystic, Connecticut
“New Restaurant with a lot of bugs to be worked out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is a new Restaurant that has a Thai-Japanese-Sushi menu. It is by the same people who own the Sawasdee in Groton, CT an excellent Thai Restaurant.
I tried to go here a month ago with my wife on a Thursday night and the place was packed- not wanting to wait more than 20mis I gave up. We, a party of five, made a second attempt this past Thursday. Once again the place was hopping but we had a shorter wait to get a table this time. The waitress was friendly and brought us steamed towels to clean up- a nice touch. The liquor license is not active yet (next week I am told) and we therefore brought in a couple of bottles of wine from the Liquor store next door that were promptly opened and served.

We chose our appetizers and main dishes. The menu specifies a heat scale of one to four stars but the waitress indicated that we could use a scale of one to ten. One of us ordered some sushi (lobster rolls) and the other 4 of us went with Thai dishes.The spice level ordered ranged from 0 to 6 and thats where the problems started. Either the waitress or the chef messed up and the person who ordered no spice had a far spicier dish than my wife's four star which was rather mild.The two ended up exchanging their dishes which were not otherwise identical but one has to eat somehow.The 2 star soup for my friend was too spicy for him to handle and while the waitress offered to have it replaced he refused (for reasons that will be clear soon) and instead asked for plain boiled noodles to add to the soup to tone it down. I was satisfied with my soup at level 6 spiciness but my main dish (drunken noodles) was far less spicy even though that too was supposed to be a level 6.
What really put a damper for the evening was the incredibly long time to get our food- 60 mis for the appetizers (2 soups, 1 vegetarian spring rolls, 1 California roll). Very clearly the kitchen was overwhelmed. The food, other than the messed up spiciness level, was good and up to what one expects from a good Thai restaurant. You can understand why we were afraid to return the food to be remade as the initial wait wiped out any energy we had and we did not want to be delayed further.The main dishes however arrived a few minutes after the appetizers. This is a common problem with many Ethnic restaurants as often there is no concept of appetizer followed by a main dish in many cuisines and it is all served together. In the past I have refused to order the main dish until we are almost done with appetizers and I blame myself for not having done that this time- on the other hand the slow kitchen service might have led to us walking out if we had done that.
We shared a fried banana dessert which was good, not great but adequate.
When we asked for a bill we got a tab for $40 something which did not make sense. Looking at it carefully it turned out to be someone else's bill together with their paid American Express slip.

Some other observations: Parking is plentiful in the shopping center lot. The Restaurant is tastefully appointed with colors that are pleasing to the eye.The restaurant floor space is not efficiently used and a lot of space is wasted, but then more tables would mean the kitchen will never be able to cope. The waiting area is uncomfortably open and visible to diners. There is enough space for a tasteful screen- one of those carved ones from Thailand would be an ideal addition. Food portions are very adequate and would satisfy the typical American diner. The Sushi bar items were fresh and very good

This restaurant has a lot of potential. They are swamped Thurs to Sun evenings. Next summer it will be impossible to get it as the population of Niantic doubles with out of towners and there is very little in the way of Ethnic cuisine in the immediate area. I truly want this restaurant to succeed as it adds considerably to what the area offers.Besides the owners seem to be friendly, humble people who deserve to do well. I am concerned however with the slow service from the Kitchen. Also this ten point spiciness scale is ridiculous, especially as they cannot get it right. Besides how does one distinguish between a level of 8 versus 6? Please get rid of this silliness.

I will try the place again in a couple of months again- hopefully the bugs are straightened out. If not I fear this could end up being a short lived business.

• Visited October 2012